I'm underweight and pre-diabetes: what to do?

VicksXYZ

I've just been blood tested for second time and results confirm me as "pre-diabetic". I am small, and light, and can't afford to lose weight. I have a varied balanced diet, but probably don't exercise as much as I should. I'll try to improve the latter. What else can I do to avoid becoming diabetic? Any advice would be great, many thanks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While exercise is good, the main thing about a metabolic condition (and prediabetes is one), is your diet. You could well be TOFI: Thin Outside, Fat Inside, meaning you can't see fat deposits on the outside, but if one were to ultrasound your liver and pancreas... It would be packed on there. Just invisible to the naked eye. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help diet wise, just pay extra attention to the bit about not wanting to lose weight, all the way at the bottom.

Good luck!
Jo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is most likely the balanced diet - based on the false assertion that we need carbohydrates. The 'information' about the dangers or eating fatty foods is also somewhat problematic, as going low fat started whole populations on the road to obesity and ill health.
There is no need to lose weight to reverse diabetes, as you can eat meat, seafood, eggs, cheese, nuts, full fat yoghurt, all sorts of low carb veges and have berries with cream, and also put cream in your coffee. You might change shape, even feel stronger and by adjusting carbs so that your blood glucose is not spiked, things ought to improve.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Resurgam. Have as much protein, fat, veg and non-tropical fruit as you'd like. Just watch the carbs a bit.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Agreed a lot of people assume that their diet is balanced and varied.. and that may be the case for most.

The trouble is that many people have a diet that contains a lot of bread/rice/pasta/potato. The sad truth is these and many fruits are high in carbs and it’s carbs that turn to glucose in the liver.. fruit juices can be really bad too as you are getting the carbs from many bits of fruit in 1 glass.

You may find a small change in diet with a little exercise will keep it at bay and even bring you back to a non diabetic hba1c

Good luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - just in case you are told that we will all die without carbohydrates, or that it is a scientifically proven fact that we must consume carbs etc - carbs are definitely optional. Once you find out what amount you can cope with and keep your blood glucose normal, do chose the most colourful tasty, crunchy and fresh carb containing foods to enjoy. Nothing bland and boring.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been blood tested for second time and results confirm me as "pre-diabetic". I am small, and light, and can't afford to lose weight. I have a varied balanced diet, but probably don't exercise as much as I should. I'll try to improve the latter. What else can I do to avoid becoming diabetic? Any advice would be great, many thanks.
What your age ? And if underweight were tou tested for antibodies for other type of diabetes?

VicksXYZ

What your age ? And if underweight were tou tested for antibodies for other type of diabetes?
I've just turned 60 a week ago. And I don't have any specifics of the tests done. I had a test in August last year and a repeat in March which gave the same result - pre-diabetic.