Covid 19 Survival post ICU/Ventilator T2 D

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
By way of back ground I had posted previously how I had put my Type 2 Diabetes with the removal of all Diabetic Medication in 2017 (i.e Stopped Metformin 2x 500 mg twice a day 5 mg of Linagliptin,Statins 20mg Altorvastatin stopped post 12 weeks Strict Low Carb diet and regular daily testing to monitor any changes into a state of remission (theoretically).

READ TO END AS THE ENDING OFFERS HOPE TO THOSE UNSURE ABOUT COVID 19 AND DIABETES

This is my very personal experience of T2 and Covid19 and Survival

April 2 felt very fatigued,high temp 39.3
Started suffering uncontrollably chills(shakes)
Stopped urinating. Had great difficulty in walking unaided to toilet in any event (no previous mobility issues at all.)
Lost appetite.
Very Drowsy
NO COUGH!

Ambulance called and they tested BG 16.9!
Oxygen 92%
Doctor advised Paramedics as my oxygen levels had dropped from 96% the previous day I should be admitted straight away.

Admitted and tested that night and Covid positive.

Over next 48 hours Oxygen levels were supplemented but by April 4 had dropped to 50% and sent to ICU

On 5 April BG levels were still out of control and there was concern. Ketones were checked and they came back at 4.4

6 April post xrays Fiancee was informed that I had Pneumonitus and white patches showing on my lungs.
Was put on a ventilator for nearly 48 hours. The put me on insulin intravenously at same time and communicated to my partner that my odds were poor informing her between 20-60% and settled on 50/50! And was also informed that there was a risk of renal failure.

They put me on steroids to manage inflammation markers etc, got me off ventilator and continued Oxygen support and nebulizer treatment and my oxygen levels improved to where I was eventually able to manage with no supplement.

On 12 April was judged to have recovered sufficiently to be moved to Gen Covid ward.

On 15 April was discharged with Metformin. (which I will continue with and supplementing as previous regime to remove when appropriate) and a walking stick to aid mobility-

Lost stone in weight. Heel sore on right foot due to being bed ridden and loss of muscle mass too which meant a short relearning of how to walk again.

15 days later am making good progress, building stamina up and walking 1.7 miles per day without stick.

I appreciate that everyone may have a different experience with this dreadful disease but just wanted to share my own experience with Covid 19/ICU/Ventilator and out of control BG levels as a consequence of contracting this disease.
Just wanted to offer hope to Diabetics and their families that you can recover from being in ICU, being on a ventilator and Covid.

My only advice (unqualified) is that my fiancee got me into hospital quickly and that was key I believe to my recovery! f I had delayed by 24 hours I may not have been so lucky. So check your temperature, Ketone levels and BG no matter how well controlled as this Covid 19 can take hold very quickly and appears to completely mess with BG levels and spikes it out of control (no matter how good previous control was).
and do note that in my case I didn't have a cough, but my Fiancee overruled me as I thought without cough I didn't need to be admitted. So thank you Fiancee!

I hope my story is helpful, informative and adds something to the debate. And whilst it is a destructive disease it is possible to overcome if treatment is sought ASAP. I am going back for follow up chest xrays in c3-4 weeks.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Circuspony

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
By way of back ground I had posted previously how I had put my Type 2 Diabetes with the removal of all Diabetic Medication in 2016 (i.e Stopped Metformin/Linagliptin and Glicazide post 7 weeks Strict Low Carb diet and regular daily testing to monitor any changes) into a state of remission (theoretically).

READ TO END AS THE ENDING OFFERS HOPE TO THOSE UNSURE ABOUT COVID 19 AND DIABETES

This is my very personal experience of T2 and Covid19 and Survival

April 2 felt very fatigued,high temp 39.3
Started suffering uncontrollably chills(shakes)
Stopped urinating. Had great difficulty in walking unaided to toilet in any event (no previous mobility issues at all.)
Lost appetite.
Very Drowsy
NO COUGH!

Ambulance called and they tested BG 16.9!
Oxygen 92%
Doctor advised Paramedics as my oxygen levels had dropped from 96% the previous day I should be admitted straight away.

Admitted and tested that night and Covid positive.

Over next 48 hours Oxygen levels were supplemented but by April 4 had dropped to 50% and sent to ICU

On 5 April BG levels were still out of control and there was concern. Ketones were checked and they came back at 4.4

6 April post xrays Fiancee was informed that I had Pneumonitus and white patches showing on my lungs.
Was put on a ventilator for nearly 48 hours. The put me on insulin intravenously at same time and communicated to my partner that my odds were poor informing her between 20-60% and settled on 50/50! And was also informed that there was a risk of renal failure.

They put me on steroids to manage inflammation markers etc, got me off ventilator and continued Oxygen support and nebulizer treatment and my oxygen levels improved to where I was eventually able to manage with no supplement.

On 12 April was judged to have recovered sufficiently to be moved to Gen Covid ward.

On 15 April was discharged with Metformin. (which I will continue with and supplementing as previous regime to remove when appropriate) and a walking stick to aid mobility-

Lost stone in weight. Heel sore on right foot due to being bed ridden and loss of muscle mass too which meant a short relearning of how to walk again.

15 days later am making good progress, building stamina up and walking 1.7 miles per day without stick.

I appreciate that everyone may have a different experience with this dreadful disease but just wanted to share my own experience with Covid 19/ICU/Ventilator and out of control BG levels as a consequence of contracting this disease.
Just wanted to offer hope to Diabetics and their families that you can recover from being in ICU, being on a ventilator and Covid.

My only advice (unqualified) is that my fiancee got me into hospital quickly and that was key I believe to my recovery! f I had delayed by 24 hours I may not have been so lucky. So check your temperature, Ketone levels and BG no matter how well controlled as this Covid 19 can take hold very quickly and appears to take advantage of Diabetics. Get oxygen levels checked and most importantly remember in my case I didn't have a cough but my Fiancee overruled me as I thought without cough I didn't need to be admitted. Thank you Fiancee!

I hope my story is helpful informative and adds something to the debate. I am going back for follow up chest xrays in c3-4 weeks.

Stay safe.
Just so delighted for you and your fiancee. Take it easy and continue the recovery nice and safely.

Reactions: Robert_D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!

And delighted that you got the treatment you needed, made such a great recovery, and have come on here to tell people about it!
Wonderful to hear.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Delighted to hear of your recovery, and thank you for sharing.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you have had such a torrid time, but relieved and happy for you that you have come out the other side :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for such a succinct description of what happened to you and for sharing it. Really useful here. Delighted for you and your fiancee. Take care.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad there was a healthy outcome for you.

However I’m not sure if your experience is scary that your good control didn’t prevent the high numbers and icu visit or reassuring that it was brief and you came back out in one piece because of the good prior control.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Thank you for the time and effort involved in posting. We need to hear about positive outcomes more than ever at the moment and also about taking rapid action if Covid is suspected. This morning on Channel 5 Dr Sarah Jarvis said that a big UK study has identified Type 2 as a bigger risk factor than some lung diseases like COPD and asthma.

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So glad there was a healthy outcome for you.

However I’m not sure if your experience is scary that your good control didn’t prevent the high numbers and icu visit or reassuring that it was brief and you came back out in one piece because of the good prior control.

@HSSS Thank you for your post. I totally agree with your sentiment. In my experience the underlying condition of diabetes & Covid is it is still able to mess with our body regardless. My advice is to be vigilant even if you don't have a cough, don't rely just on good control alone, There are many variables associated with this disease and diabetes. Don't have all the answers but as most people who survive just appear on tv and say I survived and nothing more it is difficult to learn more, so as scary as my experience was, they were able to bring it under control in ICU and in a timely manner and very grateful am I. No doubt papers and answers will be written with the why's when this disease is under acceptable control.

Reactions: Brunneria

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great to hear you're out and recovering. I've been reading all the latest articles with interest and bought one of those gadgets that reads oxygen saturation levels. It's sitting with the thermometer and ketone meter "just in case"

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great to hear you're out and recovering. I've been reading all the latest articles with interest and bought one of those gadgets that reads oxygen saturation levels. It's sitting with the thermometer and ketone meter "just in case"

Great news. Funnily my Fiancee did order pulse Oximeter but it arrived a week after being admitted in to hospital. LOL