COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw this anonymous post today

After listening to some pretty harsh comments & arguing over reopening or completely shutting down for another two weeks, someone in their right mind wrote this.

Don’t know who wrote it, but it’s spot on.

Perspective:

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...
I heard that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.

For some, quarantine is optimal. A moment of reflection, of re-connection, easy in thongs, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.

For some that live alone they're facing endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & time with their mother, father, sons & daughters.

With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.

Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.

Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.

Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.

Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.

Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.

Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.

So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.

Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.

We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.

Realize that and be kind.

Unknown author

PLEASE SHARE THIS POST - IT NEEDS GO GO VIRAL.

Reactions: Indy51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the spirit of sharing useful Covid related information, a friend sent me the official CPS advice on ‘what constitutes a reasonable excuse’ to be outside one’s home. Quite a lot broader than you might think.

Attachments

• What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf
    119.5 KB · Views: 334

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some with a more sceptical mindset might find this interesting..

http://inproportion2.talkigy.com

Yes, it is interesting.
But for me, the interest lies in the clear manipulation of the 'facts'.

Sure, infection rates have risen since the UK lockdown. Absolutely.
But if you look at the dates, the testing/diagnosis rates accelerated from the point of Lockdown - clearly indicating that people were already massively infected when they went into Lockdown.
So that can equally make a counter argument that we should have locked down harder, earlier.

For the record, I don't actually have strong opinions on this, except to say that the information in that article can be interpreted several different ways, and everyone just seems to be looking for their own confirmation bias nowadays.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All excellent contributions to the conversation today.

Not sure what we're going to learn from Sweden because as stated in the article their population density is far less than many countries. That said, we've seen incidents in the US of small towns getting hit very hard with the COVID-19 for a brief period of time due to attending a funeral with lots of people, or gathering to sing in a chorus for a few hours even though members avoided physical contact.

I think the lock down is saving lives and providing us the time needed to figure out what needs to be done to get us through these next 12 months, but not sure how much longer we can continue with the lock down.

The heros in this story will be the doctors and nurses on the front lines and they need our support (in great part by all of us being more conscious of every action we take when leave our homes).

In varying degrees, they are being prevented from using their training and experience to try different approaches to treat COVID-19 patients. Some, "the cowboys", - (please read the article I linked to yesterday if you haven't already) - are trying to figure out how far they can reasonably push the boundaries to develop and/or use treatment protocols that show promise of working or are working.

I know what I need to do optimize my immune system and to protect myself. I'm doing it. But I also understand that every time I leave the house to shop for groceries or to go to work, something could happen, or I could make a mistake, that leads to me getting COVID-19.

And if that happens, my relationship with my doctor will be critical. My husband's relationship with his doctor will be critical. I continue to believe that being informed about the treatment protocols can help. Referring our treatment providers to those protocols can help.

By taking those two steps, it may not help me or my husband, but it will plant a seed. What that doctor is unwilling to do today may change over the months ahead. It may not save my life or that of my husband's, but it may save someone else's life in the future. Informed is empowered.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a big one if confirmed

Virus does not reactivate ...
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-reinfections-were-false-positives.html

“More than 260 COVID-19 patients in South Korea tested positive for the coronavirus after having recovered, raising alarm that the virus might be capable of "reactivating" or infecting people more than once. But infectious disease experts now say both are unlikely.

Rather, the method used to detect the coronavirus, called polymerase chain reaction (PCR), cannot distinguish between genetic material (RNA or DNA) from infectious virus and the "dead" virus fragments that can linger in the body long after a person recovers, Dr. Oh Myoung-don, a Seoul National University Hospital doctor, said at a news briefing Thursday (April 30), according to The Korea Herald. ”

“The committee ruled out reactivation of COVID-19 as a reason for relapses and said there was little to no possibility that reinfections would occur due to antibodies that patients develop.

“The process in which COVID-19 produces a new virus takes place only in host cells and does not infiltrate the nucleus. This means it does not cause chronic infection or recurrence,” Oh said.”

So vaccination should be reliable. And once you have been infected, antibodies will give protection.

Last edited:

jane1950

My blood pressure this morning was 160/73, although am on tablets for it, would this reading for blood pressure make coronavirus worse

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood pressure this morning was 160/73, although am on tablets for it, would this reading for blood pressure make coronavirus worse
I am sure nobody can give a definitive answer to that specific question particularly as individuals seem to have very varied reactions to the virus anyway. In general though it is probably better to have all other variables in the normal range when fighting a virus.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr John Campbell discusses the most recent study of co-morbidities:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How some doctors in Italy and US are managing COVID 19 patients in the hospitals now...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is a paper specifically about the co-morbidity of Covid and type 2:

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(20)30238-2#.XqxOw3EasVI.twitter

Unusual graphical abstract for medical paper

upload_2020-5-3_1-44-20.jpeg

Quite striking!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goonergal, good to know that being well controlled - within glucose range of 3.9 mmol/l to 10 mmol/l (70.2 mg/dL to 180 mg/dL) - greatly improves COVID-19 outcomes for those of us who have type 2 diabetes. It's likely we'll have a second wave of COVID-19 this fall. I can think of no better time than the spring and summer months to make needed changes to diet and exercise. This is encouraging.

-----

Today I came across an excellent explanation on Twitter of how and why proning works so well for COVID-19 patients... https://twitter.com/BBroderickMD/status/1244489247987564554

It's broken up into 21 brief sections and includes illustrations, gifs, and a video. In sections 1 and 9, you can see how proning opens up the lungs and improves oxygenation. In section 14, there's a video of a sedated patient on a ventilator being proned by a team of three nurses.

The doctors and nurses are really pleased with the results.

One doctor in New Orleans that my husband and I listened to tonight on an EM:RAP update - (
) - said they're encouraging COVID-19 patients to sit in a chair or stand up and walk in their hospital room if possible. He felt doing so reduces risk of a blood clot. Patients in a weakened state did best laying on their stomach. That same doctor talked about how they're delaying putting patients on a ventilators as long as possible. For those who need to be ventilated, they are checking/testing them 4 times a day to see if they can take the patient off the ventilator, and when are successful, are able to do so within an average of 4.2 days and are discharging the patients to their homes. They had quite a few guest doctors on. It was quite informative. They discussed COVID-19 in children and infants, how their hospitals ramped up for the surge of patients, various medications being used in clinical trials, and reports from doctors in New York City and Los Angeles hospitals.