Diagnosed Yesterday

Anavrin

Hi Everyone

After an over 40 NHS Health check back in March, I had to have two follow up HbA1c blood tests, the last was a few weeks ago, anyway yesterday I was filling in a Covid 19 risk assessment for work and one question on the form was Diabetes yes/no?

Well I suspected I was, maybe board line at least so I connected my GP to push for the results, I eventually got a call back from a nurse who proceeded to tell me that I have Type 2 Diabetes and I was prescribes Metformin over the phone, I’m going to start it today with breakfast.

I was told the results from my three HbA1c tests were 57, 58 and 62, can I ask where should they be normally?

From what I’ve read on here so far, I think I’m fortunate they’re not as high as they could be, I have a telephone appointment on Monday with the Diabetic Nurse where hopefully I will get some advice on managing the condition, so far I’ve just been told I’m diabetic and put on medication!

And disappointingly I’ve had to pursue my Doctors for results, I expected they would have been more pro-active in contacting me with the results.

On a lighter note, the guy at the Pharmacy told me I now qualify for free prescriptions because of the Metformin? Is this true?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Anavrin and welcome

Your HbA1c is roughly 20 points above the threshold for diagnosis in the UK, where anything over 48 is classed as diabetes, 42-47 pre-diabetes and anything below non-diabetic.

Here is a link to some useful information. Have a read and ask as many questions as you like: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Many of us on here have successfully reduced our HbA1c to non-diabetic levels by reducing the amount of carbohydrate we eat - a very effective strategy.

Take a look at dietdoctor.com or the low carb section of this forum.

Reactions: ziggy_w

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to apply for medical exemption card before getting free prescriptions, you do this through the GP. Ask the nurse in your call.

Anavrin

You need to apply for medical exemption card before getting free prescriptions, you do this through the GP. Ask the nurse in your call.

Hi Edan

Yes I went into the surgery and I signed the form which had already been filled out for me.

I fully expected to pay for my first prescription, I explained I’d only just been diagnosed and this was my first prescription, but the Pharmacist just gave it to me and said I was now eligible for free prescriptions.

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Edan

Yes I went into the surgery and I signed the form which had already been filled out for me.

I fully expected to pay for my first prescription, I explained I’d only just been diagnosed and this was my first prescription, but the Pharmacist just gave it to me and said I was now eligible for free prescriptions.

that does sound strange, normally you can be fined if claiming free prescription without a valid card, e.g. if you forget to renew it in 5 years time when it expires! Hopefully the card will arrive before your next prescription

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don’t fall into the trap of believing the pill alone will cure you and that’s the end of managing type 2. Doing so is usually the reason why it’s seen as progressive.

Metformin is designed to be taken after (and with) lifestyle change. (Read the leaflet). Most of us here reduce our carbohydrates as they are the trigger for high blood sugars and the underlying issue of high insulin levels. Sometimes with the medication and many times without it.

Have a read through the info and links on theses pages to get you started.
Intro to T2 and low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
All the things I wish I’d been told earlier https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You will find it useful to get online access to your Surgeries system. This needs to include access to your test results as well as prescription ordering etc. Being able to see your next blood tests results before your nurse appointment helps the review as you don't need to waste time being given the results and you can focus on discussing the next moves. You will have a review at least annually and probably every 3or 6 months to start with. Make sure you get your blood test done 1-2 weeks before your nurse review and you may need to setup the review and get the blood test forms; don't assume the surgery will do it for you.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

As previous people have said metformin is only part of the answer. Most diabetics find that it helps when they also reduce (significantly) their carb intake.

You've been given some links twosome really helpful information. It is a lot to take input this site offers what the medical profession doesn't always in respect to diabetics - hope. So read the information, read around the site and ask questions. People here are always happy to provide help and support.

Good luck and welcome.

Anavrin

Thanks Everyone

A nice welcome and some great information, and yes I know a pill isn’t the answer alone.

The more I think about it, I’ve probably been type 2 for a while, maybe a year or two at least type 2 or pre-diabetic.

I would sometimes get suddenly tired while driving and have to pull over, but my work involves a lot of driving and some long days so I didn’t put 2 and 2 together so to speak.

Im making better choice’s now, especially with my diet, a little decision at each mealtime to choose something more appropriate will go a long way I guess.

Also Alcohol! I’ve noticed recently that even after 1 or 2 beers at night, I would wake up the next day feeling like I’d had a lot more than a couple drinks, is this a consequence of high blood sugar?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Everyone

A nice welcome and some great information, and yes I know a pill isn’t the answer alone.

The more I think about it, I’ve probably been type 2 for a while, maybe a year or two at least type 2 or pre-diabetic.

I would sometimes get suddenly tired while driving and have to pull over, but my work involves a lot of driving and some long days so I didn’t put 2 and 2 together so to speak.

Im making better choice’s now, especially with my diet, a little decision at each mealtime to choose something more appropriate will go a long way I guess.

Also Alcohol! I’ve noticed recently that even after 1 or 2 beers at night, I would wake up the next day feeling like I’d had a lot more than a couple drinks, is this a consequence of high blood sugar?
Yes, it could be. Liquid carbs hit the system hard and fast, and that can leave you feeling wretched. It's not the alcohol though, so if you still want to have a drink every now and again, have a read here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

Anavrin

Hi Everyone

I’ve just come back to this thread as it was my first post after diagnosis, I’m please to say my HbA1c is now an amazing 38

I ditched the Metformin after just a week or two, I cut out most carbs and started intermittent fasting, mostly 1 or 2, 24hr fasts a week, I’ve dropped 11Kg in weight over the last 5 months and totally turned my life around.

I’ve read several books on the subject but by far the best two sources of information and practical advice on how to reverse the condition are

The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung MD

and

Life Without Diabetes by Professor Roy Taylor

If everyone applied the lessons from these two books alone, type 2 diabetes could be consigned to history!

Reactions: TashT1

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"eventually got a call back from a nurse who proceeded to tell me that I have Type 2 Diabetes and I was prescribes Metformin over the phone"

God bless 'em, they love to chuck that sh!t out at the first sign of a (reasonably low) T2 diagnosis. One day your average GP might catch on to the alternative (zero cost to the NHS, if compared to prescribing Metformin) - but I doubt it. Its almost like someone somewhere gets a benefit from said prescribing methods :greedy:.