Salted peanuts

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
I do not know if this has been asked before- but is salted peanuts okay to eat.
Because after dinner and I am still hungry- I get the peanuts out for a wee snack - it used to be wine gums, crisps, ice cream etc - and my wife used to say " When are you going to stop ? "
I am missing all this goodies so much - so the peanuts have took their place. :hungry:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I weigh out 30g and I am fine. However, my mantra is Taste and Test. We all react differently.

Reactions: Allan59

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As with everything.. look on the labelling on the back of the packet and see how many grams of carbohydrate per 100g there are in what you are eating. Decide the amount of carbs you want to eat and measure out what you want to eat accordingly. Once they are gone then stop.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Check on the packets and try to find lowest carb - I don't know if it actually makes a lot of difference, but I look for the lowest, but I don't buy them very often. There are real nuts which are a lot lower in carbs.
My usual dessert is berries and cream - if I have a series of hungry evenings I make sugar free jelly and sometimes whip in Greek yoghurt just as it is thinking about setting.
This doesn't happen very often as I find the usual meals I can have very filling.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the previous posters- first thing to do is decide how many carbs you are planning to eat- measure the nuts first don't have any more after the portion is finished and test, test, test . The test will tell you how that amount of carbs in that food effected you. Make future decisions based on that. I also think after you've one that a few times you can lessen the testing but every so often test to check that it is still okay,

Reactions: SVB

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of ideas. If you are hungry as opposed to picky/bored/in the habit of snacking then increase your evening meal. Add more fats/proteins. If you decide to stick with nuts have you thought about actual nuts? I tend to go for mixed salted nuts as overall they have lower carbs and more nutritional benefits than just peanuts. If you’re not worried about the salted aspect there’s even more choice. (Cashews/pistachios are also higher carb than others and about the only other salted ones I can find). Brazils Walnuts macadamia and pecan for example are better options if you like them

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can find the carb content in peanuts before buying.
- Goto a supermarket website for example: www.tesco.com, www.asda.com, www.sainsburys.com
- Search/select the food 'peanuts' on website.
The search matches show the amount of carbohydrates per 100g peanuts. This amount is 6-9g carb/100g depending on the brand.
- use a small kitchen scale and weigh the amount you decide you can eat. (0g best!!)

Last edited:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Only risk with nuts is they are high in fat. In my case I avoid salted nuts as I suffer high blood pressure

I do love peanuts though.. but what I tend to do is also choose some of the better nuts as well for example almonds/pistachio are lower in fat but have similar carbs

Something that I nibble on is fresh raw carrots low in carbs no fat but as it’s quite dense gives me the full feeling. And they are cheap

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only risk with nuts is they are high in fat. In my case I avoid salted nuts as I suffer high blood pressure

I do love peanuts though.. but what I tend to do is also choose some of the better nuts as well for example almonds/pistachio are lower in fat but have similar carbs

Something that I nibble on is fresh raw carrots low in carbs no fat but as it’s quite dense gives me the full feeling. And they are cheap
Any reason why the fats worry you? This is a high(er) fat way of eating after all

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Any reason why the fats worry you? This is a high(er) fat way of eating after all

For me if I have fatty foods especially later in the day I struggle for hours afterwards keeping bg”s down. If I’m in bed with bg”s over 9 I nearly sleep and will be sweating buckets all night

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own salted nuts almonds are particularly good just run a little oil onto the nuts sprinkle with salt and chilli too if you like it ,a,quick zap in the microwave and nibble ! :) You can make a batch and keep in a sealed container .
Carol

Reactions: HSSS and Serena51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me if I have fatty foods especially later in the day I struggle for hours afterwards keeping bg”s down. If I’m in bed with bg”s over 9 I nearly sleep and will be sweating buckets all night
That is really odd - there is no connection between the two systems - fats should not affect glucose levels.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is really odd - there is no connection between the two systems - fats should not affect glucose levels.
Fat slow down carbs. Maybe that’s the issue rather than the fat itself, making the rise from carbs unpredictable (just guesses here from a non insulin user)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fat slow down carbs. Maybe that’s the issue rather than the fat itself, making the rise from carbs unpredictable (just guesses here from a non insulin user)

This is what I assume. I get a similar thing with pizza I can dose correctly for it 3 hours later my bloods will be fine but I the raise all night and the following morning upto about 15 hours later

Being T1 I don’t have to worry so much about carbs so longer as I dose for them, but as I say fats cause an issue for me keeping control

Everyone is different and the original poster may find he is fine with peanuts... I’m a try it and see what happens type of person if I get results I don’t like I don’t try again

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
I do not know if this has been asked before- but is salted peanuts okay to eat.
Because after dinner and I am still hungry- I get the peanuts out for a wee snack - it used to be wine gums, crisps, ice cream etc - and my wife used to say " When are you going to stop ? "
I am missing all this goodies so much - so the peanuts have took their place. :hungry:
A handful of nuts is good enough, it stops hunger. Yet, you need to limit the quantity of peanuts as they are high in Omega-6s, pro-inflammatory fats. The best thing to have as a snack is a handful of mixed nuts: peanuts, almonds, cashew nuts, etc. Moderation is the keyword.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A handful of nuts is good enough
That is not my experience. I need to eat the whole packet, especially with salted peanuts and then compound the problem by having a beer. I control this by only buying a small packet and only very occasionally.

Reactions: NéjiSaïdi

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what I assume. I get a similar thing with pizza I can dose correctly for it 3 hours later my bloods will be fine but I the raise all night and the following morning upto about 15 hours later

>> interesting how yrs ago when type 1s were recommended visiting the dietician, you frequently heard recommendations to stuff yourself full of nuts, and brown bread - both of which i couldn't stand. So i luckily avoided the fatlag hi.

I do like pizza though, ho hum :-(, but tend to cut them down to 4 portions worth of size which helps limit the fatlag.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

But depending on the type of food being eaten I would imagine that many things with 'fat' in them also have protein?