Replacement for bread

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are keto bread recipes online but I haven't tried them yet. There was a post about low carb bread in Aldi a wee while ago. Aldi also do low carb noodles if you wanted a change from bread. I tried black bean and mung bean and really liked them. Konjac noodles were okay if I boiled then fried them to make them crispy. Schar do a low fibre crispbread and cheese crackers both low carb and gluten free. Could use omelettes, cabbage or lettuce as wraps. Hope that helps. Good luck!!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Dr Bernstein recommends GG scandinavian crispbread.

Reactions: ThoseCrowes

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, bread... as I have written elsethread, this has been my keto bete noir, my precioussss, the one thing I tried really hard to keep as part of the new regime. But I was not able to find an acceptable substitute that did not raise my BG more than I was willing to tolerate and the keto variants were just not like bread, to my palate.

However... all is not doom and gloom because my digestive health has improved beyond all recognition. Gone is the acid reflux and constant stomach gas and bloating and general bad indigestion. I am pretty sure that a large part of that is down to ditching wheat, to the point where I’m not sure I would bring it back into my diet even if the diabetes fairy godmother waved her magic wand and made it all better.

Of course you may not suffer with poor digestion, but if you do it might be worth excluding bread for a few weeks and see what happens. It might make the likelihood that you would be better to exclude it from your regular food repertoire easier to stomach (see what I did there?) :cat:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Livlife 3.8g carbs per small slice or (more expensive) Carbzone 3.7g - who also make other low carb alternative stuff including tortillas I believe. I've tried both of these, but they're take it or leave it for me.

Sukrin and the oddly named Ugg do low carb bread mixes, though neither are what I'd class as "proper" bread. You could also try Amazon as there's a lot more of this sort of thing available now than when I first investigated over six years back.

I sometimes buy Finn Crisp crispbreads, but generally if I ever want something bread-like, I'll tend to make my own with nut or seed flours, eggs, and butter or oil, as I know exactly what I'm eating.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Livlife 3.8g carbs per small slice or (more expensive) Carbzone 3.7g - who also make other low carb alternative stuff including tortillas I believe. I've tried both of these, but they're take it or leave it for me.

Sukrin and the oddly named Ugg do low carb bread mixes, though neither are what I'd class as "proper" bread. You could also try Amazon as there's a lot more of this sort of thing available now than when I first investigated over six years back.

I sometimes buy Finn Crisp crispbreads, but generally if I ever want something bread-like, I'll tend to make my own with nut or seed flours, eggs, and butter or oil, as I know exactly what I'm eating.
Hi - would love to know your homemade bread recipe :)

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For anyone who lives near a Booths supermarket, their Low GI bread is 40g of carb per 100g. One (thick) slice is 9g of carbs but I buy the unsliced and use a bread sliced to cut it 0.5 cm thick. Two of these weigh 22g and are very satisfying. This bread has very little effect on my blood sugars, although I appreciate we’re all different.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb Bread

1.0 cups (160grm) wheat gluten (24g carbs)

1.0 cups (90grm) soy flour (12.6g carbs)

0.5 cups (25grm) wheat bran (8g carbs)

0.5 cup (76grm) wheat flour (43g carbs)

1.5 cups water

7g sachet fast action yeast or a sourdough (sourdough is better)

salt, to taste (0.5-1 tsp I'd guess)

glug of olive oil

Mix it all together knead till smooth
Put into bread tin and let risen plastic bag to at least double volume
Put into an oven heated to 200C and immediately turn oven down to 160C for about 30mins.

You can add seeds, nuts etc. if you wish but I suggest getting the basic recipe right first.

About 87.6g carb in total

ThoseCrowes

Thank you all very much,great stuff! I will definitely try a few ones and I actually happen to live near a Sainsbury's and a white rose (live life)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb Bread

1.5 cups water

glug of olive oil

Put into an oven heated to 200C and immediately turn oven down to 160C for about 30mins.

You can add seeds, nuts etc. if you wish but I suggest getting the basic recipe right first.

I am surprised your dough rises since you have no sugar to work with the yeast and no baking powder.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am surprised your dough rises since you have no sugar to work with the yeast and no baking powder.

Sugar is not needed and is not generally used in normal bread baking in appreciable amounts. That is what the wheat flour is for. The yeast converts the carbohydrate in the flour to glucose using an enzyme, it then uses the glucose to produce alcohols and carbon dioxide exactly as in normal wheat bread. Much of the carbohydrate gets used during this process but it is all counted in the estimated carbohydrate load giving a worst case. The gluten forms strands and holds the carbon dioxide bubbles in the bread. The longer the proving and the more active the yeast the less carbohydrate that is left in the finished bread. At room temp. proving can take up to 8hrs. I prefer a sourdough starter as mine seems more active than dried yeast, gives a much improved flavour and is easier to get than dried yeast at the moment.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar is not needed and is not generally used in normal bread baking in appreciable amounts. That is what the wheat flour is for. The yeast converts the carbohydrate in the flour to glucose using an enzyme, it then uses the glucose to produce alcohols and carbon dioxide exactly as in normal wheat bread. Much of the carbohydrate gets used during this process but it is all counted in the estimated carbohydrate load giving a worst case. The gluten forms strands and holds the carbon dioxide bubbles in the bread. The longer the proving and the more active the yeast the less carbohydrate that is left in the finished bread. At room temp. proving can take up to 8hrs. I prefer a sourdough starter as mine seems more active than dried yeast, gives a much improved flavour and is easier to get than dried yeast at the moment.
I make rolls using similar ingredients except no wheat flour. I use a teaspoon of sugar to activate the yeast as the instructions say on the yeast packet, proving takes about 45 mins. Do you make the sourdough starter or buy it?

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made the sourdough starter, It lives in a kilner jar and it is fed regularly.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carb Bread

1.5 cups water

glug of olive oil

Thanks for posting!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - would love to know your homemade bread recipe :)
I think you may have slightly misunderstood what i posted: I don'r have an actual bread recipe, I just use nut flour, eggs, butter (which are the basics for low carb muffin recipes) and bake in a small loaf "tin" instead of individual muffin cases if I want something i can slice. All I do is use the muffins recipe and pop the mix into a silicone container, and blitz in the microwave till done.

So nothing close to @Bittern's real bread offering!

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The quick acting yeast is formulated to work like that - it is known as STIM yeast and is designed for a fast rize, no long process of waiting and kneading again. It was designed for industry and used for packet mixes.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you may have slightly misunderstood what i posted: I don'r have an actual bread recipe, I just use nut flour, eggs, butter (which are the basics for low carb muffin recipes) and bake in a small loaf "tin" instead of individual muffin cases if I want something i can slice. All I do is use the muffins recipe and pop the mix into a silicone container, and blitz in the microwave till done.

So nothing close to @Bittern's real bread offering!
Ah! Your ingredients are exactly what I have been looking for. I am trying gluten free food and have not managed to find a suitable recipe with few ingredients and doesn't use factory produced gluten free flours :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah! Your ingredients are exactly what I have been looking for. I am trying gluten free food and have not managed to find a suitable recipe with few ingredients and doesn't use factory produced gluten free flours :)
Try Google for low carb, "keto", or possibly paleo bread. I've used a Stone Age (apparently!! :wideyed:) recipe which is mainly nuts and seeds. Also look at Diet Doctor. There are dozens of this sort of alternative bread type recipe around now.

(edited for typing errors )

Last edited:
Reactions: Waterfall 888