Ice cream

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

How do you bolus for ice cream and over how long?

ie 25% at 1 hour intervals?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i just bolus for the carbs what are in it all at once works for me but everyones different :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
So do I, I just bolus for the carbs. However, the real cream ice cream’s a rare treat for me. What ice cream are you thinking of eating @Richard F? I wish I hadn’t answered now, I really fancy one of those tall, synthetically soft 99 cornets - seaside ice cream van type ice cream. (Sighs)

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So do I, I just bolus for the carbs. However, the real cream ice cream’s a rare treat for me. What ice cream are you thinking of eating @Richard F? I wish I hadn’t answered now, I really fancy one of those tall, synthetically soft 99 cornets - seaside ice cream van type ice cream. (Sighs)

Morrisons stuff from a tub.

1 scoop= 17g carbs (of which 10g sugars) 5g of fat (of which 4are saturated)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morrisons stuff from a tub.

1 scoop= 17g carbs (of which 10g sugars) 5g of fat (of which 4are saturated)
Hmmm, I’d try to find how many carbs per gram, much easier to calculate to fit a bolus - scoops vary in sizes. I’d also just bolus for carbs but keep an eye on bloods.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hagen das double choc chip.

A small bowl's ok but I've a nasty habit of eating half the tub and I can't bolus for that in one go so tend to avoid it...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Now you’ve got us going @Richard F! Hagan Das is very moreish. Cornish is too, they sell tubs of it at the local cinema, but will have to wait til it’s safe to go there again.

Reactions: kev-w

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You dont need to worry about the which of sugars just the carbs

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Ice cream mmmmmm I tend to overestimate it but like all sweet things I just take bm after a few hours and treat to suit. On the subject of ice cream if anyone is in the Swansea area when this Clovid thing is behind us try some Joes Ice Cream it is the best in the world bar none ( now there’s a challenge lol) remember where you heard it first , I live in Scotland now but whenever I go back it the first stop . To show how good it is even in December with the temperature at -2 there’s still a queue outside the door .

Reactions: KK123

JudiP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tesco used to do an ice cream called Diabetic Ice Cream but they were told not to call it that. It’s now called Dialicious but is not always easy to find.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tesco used to do an ice cream called Diabetic Ice Cream but they were told not to call it that. It’s now called Dialicious but is not always easy to find.

Hi there, I used to buy this for my Mum until I realised there was the exact amount of carbs in it as ordinary ice cream. As far as I can tell there is NO basis to labelling something as for 'diabetics' because it's all about the carbs. It gives a false impression as well as if somehow it's better for us. x

Reactions: Grannypat

Bishop

I am diabetic for 10 years and I never dared to eat full ice cream as it will spike me up to the roof.
I taste a little bit from my wife or daughter but never had one all by myself. I don't see any way for a type 1 to actually manage to properly cover a full ice cream without a massive spike, the best may be to be lucky.
I don't have a sweet tooth anyway so I am OK to skip it.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I would bolus the required insulin fully and immediately. I realise everyone is different but guidelines I’ve been given in the past (DAFNE, etc) is that delaying or splitting bolus dose is usually for high fat/protein meals.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Me I dose fully in advance as it liquid with sugar in it should enter the system quite quickly

Every one is different though

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently started a thread re overnight highs, I'm blaming it on ice cream.

If I eat some after dinner, say 7.30pm, my sugars are normal though the evening, then soar after I've gone to bed.
Bolusing at the time sends me low, the only other work around is a speculative bedtime bolus. A risky strategy!

I think steering clear is the only sensible option.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
My experience on ice cream and other “ sweet things” are is they will definitely raise your blood sugar.whether it’s I cream or a good dose of Bournville ( my fave btw) . However this doesn’t stop me eating them , I suppose it’s because I come from a time when eating “ sweet things was an absolute no no ( 2 insulin’s a day eating same time etc etc ) I know it causes spikes but spikes can be negated under the boulus regime and lets face it I’m not saying I eat them 24/7 or even 1/7 so a wee spike maybe once. Month isn’t going to harm . So Joes ice cream here I come lol.