Is Type 2 Coronavirus low risk

ravie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been advised that type 2 is regarded as "low risk" re coronavirus and I can work in face to face clinical work with covid 19 patients or suspected cases. Is this true and does anyone know where is this advice coming from officially. I have type 2 with high blood sugar levels @20- 24 mmol/l. Can anyone advise
I had the same question, no body could give me a definitive answer, When I had my Diabetic clinic consultation a few weeks ago I asked should i be in the shielded group. He told me since my HbA1c results are between 4.8% and 5.4 % (target is 6,5% or 48 mmol/mol), and my kidneys are normal then I was at low risk yet I still had to self isolate for the 12 weeks and only go out for short walks at a quiet time. No going shopping, lucky I have friends and family who can do this. I have reduced my weight from almost 19st to 14.5st and my daily cal intake to between 1500 cals to 1200 cals, no sugar (obviously) and no bread.

scooterlad75

There is no definitive answer to this question really. This virus is so new and still needs working out. I work in a and e, and policies and procedures and advice can change completely from morning to afternoon. Keep washing them hands and keep your distance! Stay safe!

Reactions: KK123

Davyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
breakfast - 1 Weetabix cup of decaff coffee
lunch 2 rolls with filling-cheese, or ham or similar, cup decaff coffee
Main meal - quorn meal with vegetables - no potatoes, small glass of milk,
Supper - Glass milk, toast
can vary but generally similar to this. I take metformin 2 tabs twice daily, gliclazide 1 tab twice daily, Piaglitazone 1tab daily

As you give your blood sugar in mmol/l, with those meds using the generic names rather than trade names, I believe you are not in USA, I'd guess you are in UK.

That diet is far from low carb. I suspect that your hbA1c is quite high. I would say that you are quite high risk for a bad encounter with Covid-19
I'm T2, my meds and blood sugars were similar to those you quote, prior to my transition to Multiple Daily Injections of insulins.
I suspect your doctor may soon want you to transition to insulin(s). Pancreas, liver, etc. cannot be stressed forever with oral meds.
I was on oral meds for 17 years before transition, which is a long time, a nursing educator I know of, quotes about 6 years as the average for T2 on oral meds before needing insulin.
Once I transitioned, my bg, hbA1c, weight, bmi, etc. have all come down into the target ranges my doctors wanted. Control is much easier.

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Hi I have been advised that type 2 is regarded as "low risk" re coronavirus and I can work in face to face clinical work with covid 19 patients or suspected cases. Is this true and does anyone know where is this advice coming from officially. I have type 2 with high blood sugar levels @20- 24 mmol/l. Can anyone advise

Sorry @Kilchoman to hijack your thread but thought it might be helpful as you have "been advised that type 2 is regarded as "low risk" "
Well as a T2D Diagnosed in 2000, that was diet only controlled, not on any diabetic meds due to lifestyle changes, was Diagnosed with Covid 19 (April) sent to ICU within a day of being admitted, severe drop of oxygen levels from 92-50% (even though was on supplemental Oxygen,), put on a ventilator , put on Insulin and survived..

I have posted separately in the T2D forum my brief experience of ICU etc,(not to shock but to give my very real personal experience with Covid that is not based on theory.
It is a condensed personal diary of the direct timescale of how quick and dangerous this disease is in reality to those with Diabetes, no matter( it would appear), how well controlled BG levels and weight control are.

Last edited:
Reactions: LindiePops

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Probably from someone who considers profits more important than people.

In other words, that advice means that having you come to work with type 2 is low risk to the company's profits, and any risk to your health is unimportant.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.

Weetabix - out
Rolls - out
Potatoes - out

you need to cut down on all carbs.

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
See attachment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201008-093558_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-093558_Drive.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 305

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
https://alama.org.uk/covid-19-medical-risk-assessment/ is an excellent website being used by local council HR departments to assess the risk to workers returning to work - The tables are updated regularly as evidenece changes and takes into account HBA1C as well as type of Diabetes and age and any other conditions you may have. Have a look and them compare the risks to you personally with other risks such as driving or climbing ladders at home - it helps per it into perspective.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
https://alama.org.uk/covid-19-medical-risk-assessment/ is an excellent website being used by local council HR departments to assess the risk to workers returning to work - The tables are updated regularly as evidenece changes and takes into account HBA1C as well as type of Diabetes and age and any other conditions you may have. Have a look and them compare the risks to you personally with other risks such as driving or climbing ladders at home - it helps per it into perspective.
That is a fun game! I am 62 (49 yo female non obese, white with type 1 and no other complications)
I am moderate risk but have not changed anything and mingle with the great unwashed public in my job working in a very clean gym.
The hazard ratios (similar concept to the Covid age thing) tells me that the general risk or IFR is 0.4% and I can multiply this by 3 because of the type 1 which without any other multipliers of risk brings me out to 1.2% risk of dying.
There are no guarantees of course but these seem like reasonable odds and is more readily understandable to me than 'moderate risk' though I understand that this categorisation is there to help OH departments make decisions.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a fun game! I am 62 (49 yo female non obese, white with type 1 and no other complications)
I am moderate risk but have not changed anything and mingle with the great unwashed public in my job working in a very clean gym.
The hazard ratios (similar concept to the Covid age thing) tells me that the general risk or IFR is 0.4% and I can multiply this by 3 because of the type 1 which without any other multipliers of risk brings me out to 1.2% risk of dying.
There are no guarantees of course but these seem like reasonable odds and is more readily understandable to me than 'moderate risk' though I understand that this categorisation is there to help OH departments make decisions.
The problem is that it isn't simply a question of living or dying. I was moderate risk and had covid19 back in March. I wasn't hospitalised. It is still affecting me now and I seriously wonder if I will ever get over it completely. Some days I wonder if the struggle to recover is even worth it. Covid19 affects me every day in some way, whether it's mentally, physically, psychologically or emotionally.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem is that it isn't simply a question of living or dying. I was moderate risk and had covid19 back in March. I wasn't hospitalised. It is still affecting me now and I seriously wonder if I will ever get over it completely. Some days I wonder if the struggle to recover is even worth it. Covid19 affects me every day in some way, whether it's mentally, physically, psychologically or emotionally.
@zand I'm so sorry you are going through such a hard time. What you describe is one of the two scenarios I fear from Covid. Not enough attention is paid to this. I hear people so often talking about the risks of death from Covid, but rarely about the threat to quality of life for survivors, even though I have read that 10% of people infected will end up suffering from "long Covid". You are certainly not alone. I did a quick Google BBC 4 long covid and found a lot of listening! I gather that at first, as with ME in the past, a lot of people were told it was all in their minds, but that stage is past.

Please don't give up hope. You have been coping with diabetes, (not everyone does) now you will (slowly) overcome Covid. I prescribe small frequent treats (not doughnuts!), listening to your body, resting, mild exercise, healthy and delicious food, safe social contact (eg here on the Forum). I don't know if your circumstances will allow you all of these, but as many and as often as possible. Very best wishes. Keep us posted.

Reactions: LindiePops and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand I'm so sorry you are going through such a hard time. What you describe is one of the two scenarios I fear from Covid. Not enough attention is paid to this. I hear people so often talking about the risks of death from Covid, but rarely about the threat to quality of life for survivors, even though I have read that 10% of people infected will end up suffering from "long Covid". You are certainly not alone. I did a quick Google BBC 4 long covid and found a lot of listening! I gather that at first, as with ME in the past, a lot of people were told it was all in their minds, but that stage is past.

Please don't give up hope. You have been coping with diabetes, (not everyone does) now you will (slowly) overcome Covid. I prescribe small frequent treats (not doughnuts!), listening to your body, resting, mild exercise, healthy and delicious food, safe social contact (eg here on the Forum). I don't know if your circumstances will allow you all of these, but as many and as often as possible. Very best wishes. Keep us posted.

Thank you so much for this. Your kind words have touched me deeply. I did manage a short walk today so that was uplifting too. I was moved to tears by the care in your words. They have helped me to begin to forget other things that have been said to me by people who weren't as understanding as you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)

Reactions: LindiePops

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for this. Your kind words have touched me deeply. I did manage a short walk today so that was uplifting too. I was moved to tears by the care in your words. They have helped me to begin to forget other things that have been said to me by people who weren't as understanding as you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)
@zand Now I'm the one to be touched! You have been helping others on here for a long long while. I too have experienced very helpful and at other times very painful comments on the Forum. I suppose this is the common lot of all who venture onto social media. IMO we should remember that sometimes comments that come across as aggressive may not be meant quite how they sound. And also that when people are deeply unhappy, or suffering from too high or low blood sugar, they may hit out in a way that they would not normally.

Would you consider starting a new Long Covid thread?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand Now I'm the one to be touched! You have been helping others on here for a long long while. I too have experienced very helpful and at other times very painful comments on the Forum. I suppose this is the common lot of all who venture onto social media. IMO we should remember that sometimes comments that come across as aggressive may not be meant quite how they sound. And also that when people are deeply unhappy, or suffering from too high or low blood sugar, they may hit out in a way that they would not normally.

Would you consider starting a new Long Covid thread?
I should have been more clear in my post, sorry. Whilst I have been a little irritated by a handful of posts, no-one here has really hurt me. It's people I have had to deal with in real life, as opposed to forum life, who have caused me the most distress.

Reactions: Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
breakfast - 1 Weetabix cup of decaff coffee
lunch 2 rolls with filling-cheese, or ham or similar, cup decaff coffee
Main meal - quorn meal with vegetables - no potatoes, small glass of milk,
Supper - Glass milk, toast
can vary but generally similar to this. I take metformin 2 tabs twice daily, gliclazide 1 tab twice daily, Piaglitazone 1tab daily

Good afternoon Kilchoman,

With blood sugars of 20-24 you are DEFINITELY OUT OF CONTROL - and your diet is NOT low carb - considering your job I think your chances of catching Covid 19 is about 90 - 100%, unless you make some QUICK changes.

I have been Type 2 now for about 25 years and because I am on Insulin twice daily plus Metformin usually manage to keep my blood sugars between 4.3 and 5.9 - but when I have a cold they can leap up to between 6 -8. I am retired and live in a flat with my wife and don't mix generally with the public except when shopping a couple of times each week.

I caught Covid 19 in March and am only about 90% recovered - fortunately my wife is a retired Nurse and she looks after me.

You MUST see your Doctor NOW and get a letter from him/her stating his/her MEDICAL opinion as to your RISK ASSESSMENT to Covid 19 considering your type of employment. If you find your "face mask" unsuitable (because it steams up your glasses) you can always wear a "Plastic face Visor" - they only cost £1.99 in "Home Bargains".

Please do not DELAY - your health, and posibly your life, is at HIGH RISK.

Otherwise, have a nice day.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ive been there too, in the early days my hba1c was extremely high, along with some readings knocking on for 20 here and there. This all changed when I understood about carbs more, once I eliminated them as best I could (bread/porridge/oats etc..) my clarity of mind returned, energy, happiness, so much! Its a learning curve but hope you get there as its worth the effort. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

A number of posts have been removed for derailing the topic.

Please adhere to the subject matter regarding this particular thread.

Thanks for your compliance.

Jaylee.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

I am type 2 and it’s unstable with my blood sugar too high. Also I’m over weight. I work as a nursing assistant in a hospital and I was told yesterday that I now have to be off for the next four weeks as I’m classed as high risk.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2 and it’s unstable with my blood sugar too high. Also I’m over weight. I work as a nursing assistant in a hospital and I was told yesterday that I now have to be off for the next four weeks as I’m classed as high risk.

Good morning Sarah.

Your situation may be hard on you - but, if I were in your shoes with "high blood sugar" and also "being overweight" and working in a hospital I would count it a "blessing" being told to take the next 4 weeks off. You might NOT be at risk - but why take the chance that you might get infected?

Have a nice day.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Good morning Sarah.

Your situation may be hard on you - but, if I were in your shoes with "high blood sugar" and also "being overweight" and working in a hospital I would count it a "blessing" being told to take the next 4 weeks off. You might NOT be at risk - but why take the chance that you might get infected?

Have a nice day.

Sorry for getting late to this discussion, been busy with other things. The following paper explains that diabetics who have well controlled blood sugars have significantly better outcomes as opposed that do not have well blood sugar. I did not discover this paper someone on this forum pointed it out to me. I will not talk much about the blood sugar numbers and your situation, that the topic has already has discussed in detail. Being a type 2 diabetic with those numbers you are definitely at risk.

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(20)30238-2#.XqxOw3EastwitterVI.

Even if you are a well controlled diabetic you are at risk from Covid complications. The following paper explain it in more detail, but gist of it is that Covid may inhibit the pancreas releasing insulin.

https://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S0168-8227(20)30416-2/fulltext

If anyone wants to know more I would be glad to explain this in more detail along with plan to mitigate the risk.

I know that this is in the past, but with information you have given the forum yes you would be at risk.; I just wanted to provide some hard data to the discussion.

To answer your initial question being type 2 diabetic puts you a lower risk from Covid complications, maybe yes only if yout blood sugars are well controlled.

I hope you are well,

Dave