What are you doing to keep covid out of your home

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doing nothing whatsoever. Mother Nature has found a way to decrease the ever increasing world population, if that includes me then so be it. None of us own or have “ our time “.What will be will be. A small reduction in this ever increasing world population can only be good for humanity going forward.

But you do wash your hands when you come back from outside ?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But you do wash your hands when you come back from outside ?
I’m keeping my levels of hygiene at the same level I always have. I going out of my way to respect social distancing for the sake of others. My wife shops for us and 3 other elderly couples on her own, I wait outside the supermarket for her. I haven’t had physical contact with my grandchildren for 6/7 weeks now. I’m currently furloughed from work and may never get to go back.
I’m not making unnecessary journeys. I admit to going for walks daily, these walks can last for 2 hrs, but on account it’s in open countryside with no one else around I feel it’s safe.
If I was in a position where i felt taking extra precautions were necessary then I would. My work involves dealing with and using PPE. But prior to using any PPE and undertaking prevention measures against danger we do a risk assessment. This is how I’m making my decisions where Covid 19 is involved. It’s not to everyone’s liking but that’s life.

Sarah82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We get home deliveries and wipe the items down. Not sure how necessary that is or not but it can't hurt.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m out once a week my son not at all, my hubby is a key worker working partly from home and partly travelling to different places up to 100 miles away.

what I’ve always done, wash my hands often, I have always damp dusted every morning and wiped door handles with zoflora but more for the fragrance than the disinfection, that’s now a plus. Wipe round my bathroom, quick mop of floors.

extra, when hubby comes in to garage, strip off, spray boots, wash hands face and arms in kitchen then puts on clean clothes, wipe his phones, car keys, passes etc with antibacterial wipe.

I am doing this more to protect my son as he has autism and have been advised that if people who will have difficulties understanding what’s happening with them, may present with challenging behaviour or would be in great distress with the consequences of having to be cared for in hospital with COVID they may not be admitted and it’s judged they will be better cared for at home. This is what frightens me the most

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I have no realistic expectation of keeping the virus out of our house forever.
Victorian terraces are not set up for social distancing, or handwashing near the front door, and Mr B has a job with high public exposure, and consequently likely high virus exposure. He keeps out of the mess room, wipes his equipment down with disinfectant wipes, attempts social distance where possible, thoroughly washes hands before leaving work and once home, changes immediately and does his own laundry. But keeping it out completely is simply a pipe dream with his job.

We wipe the wheelie bin handles, but no one touches the door handles except us, and we wash hands after.
Having read up on virus survival on packaging, And considering the above, I feel no need to sanitise food items entering the house. If I go into a shop I wear a mask, since I could easily have picked the virus up from Mr B and be risking passing it asymptomatically.

My preference would actually be to get the virus as soon as possible, avoid passing it on to anyone else, recover, be tested for antibodies, and then be in a better position to help out older family members than currently.

There is plenty of contradictory ‘evidence’ all over the place declaring that I am simultaneously high risk, low risk, and anything in between. Age, insulin resistance, co-morbidities, HbA1c, standard deviation, etc. etc. all factor in.

The way I see it, I may have had it already (sore throat/cough several weeks ago), and will definitely be exposed to it sooner or later, unless I totally isolate for the next 2 years (or longer). So I would rather focus on good nutrition, a strong immune system, a very low standard deviation and the best HbA1c I can manage, so that COVID-19 when/if it hits, is as mild as possible.

My compliance with government guidelines on social distancing it to protect others, not myself.
My approach is pretty similar to @Brunneria. I live on my own, so only me enters the house and I'm strictly observing social distancing guidelines. I wipe with bleach wheelie bin handles, car doors, steering wheel, plus lots of hand washing after my limited shopping/but many delivery experiences, however so far not sanitising parcels. I use a face mask when in public (I've lived many years in Asia where social etiquette dictates the use of a face mask anytime one had a head cold or cough to avoid infecting others). I'm in a quasi-urban area, so it's hard to avoid heavy breathing runners, cyclists, dog walkers and family groups unless only on the local lanes and footpaths at extreme hours, so I now mostly exercise in my garden. Putting my energy into improving my immune system, HbAc1, following stricter low carb diet with supplements (especially D3, K2, zinc, Mg).

With hindsight I may also have been "lucky enough" to have already experienced Covid-19 earlier this year having had dry cough, sore throat, aching chest (but no fever) - really looking forward to when a reliable antibody test is available to us all.

Tannith

BANNED
I started off wearing a mask to answer the door to postie and deliveries, but now have a notice on the door saying "please leave delivery on doorstep and ring bell". Then when bell rings open an upstairs window to acknowledge delivery. I don't sanitise wheelie bin or recycling box but leave them in the garden for 3/4 days for sunlight and time to kill the virus. Letters through box, I put aside with kitchen tongs and don't open til next day when I think virus on paper will be dead.I hear virus can survive months in freezer so am extremely careful when sanitising frozen deliveries, though I have had almost no frozen delivered.

Max68

Lucky in many ways that I live alone. A lot of hand washing at the start when we still hadn't closed the school but now I focus on that after something alien like post or shopping,. I wipe down shopping with a general kitchen cleaner but I am a tad more careful now as my first efforts splurged the bleach through the holes in the packaging! So to prevent bleach poisoning I am a tad more careful now ;) but it seems to take an age!! Post I tend to cut out of the envelope which I dispose of then wash hands, surface etc and I am a week behind on my delivered weekend newspapers as I'm too nervous to read them after they come through the door! If I go out for a walk it's shoes left on mat by door as I come in as I always did anyway but a hand wash once I return. Bins I tend to drag back in holding a tissue then I wash my hands.

To take the load of neighbours and friends I finally managed to find a click and collect slot at the supermarket for next Monday. My credit card is having counselling as we speak!! Bit nervous about it to be honest as I haven't really been out but by all accounts you just open the boot and stand back!! Lots of wiping down and hand washing after that though I bet!!!!

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those doing mega-wiping, our local Lidl had lots of Anti Viral Spray (under £2, if I recall) in stock. It wasn't an item I had seen before.

I can't post a pic, as I didn't procure any.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
My one experience of click and collect shopping was probably more contaminating than trying the normal supermarket 2m (never works in reality) highly stressful experience.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Doing nothing whatsoever. Mother Nature has found a way to decrease the ever increasing world population, if that includes me then so be it. None of us own or have “ our time “.What will be will be. A small reduction in this ever increasing world population can only be good for humanity going forward.

I'm sorry, but I am so sad to read your post, I really am. 2 years ago I fought to stay alive and If I was in a similar position again I would hopefully fight again. So 'what will be, will be' is not always the case, my daughter could of been an orphan, that, will always be with me.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Max68, I haven't done click and collect, but according to a friend who has used Sainsburys, there is a van in the car park. You pull up near it, get out of the car, call out your name at the back of the van (from a distance), move back, guy leaves crates with food packed in plastic bags next to boot of your car, he goes back to van, you load shopping into car and drive off. Man from van collects up empty crates. Sainsburys seem to have it well organised, but watch out for other shoppers going to go into store, who don't always observe social distancing rule.
If it's not Sainsburys, apologies, but thought this info might help someone else.

Reactions: set-in-stone

Lebu

I’ve been anxious about the thought of the virus.Been using home made mask when I go to get grocery,using antibacterial wipes to wipe the packages and also leaving shoes outside the door and spraying with anti bacterial spray before I get them in.

lindisfel

Expert
Covid is not a bacteria, its a virus.
Soap a water is the best thing to break down the structure of the virus before you bring objects that could be contaminated into the house.
D.

Max68

Max68, I haven't done click and collect, but according to a friend who has used Sainsburys, there is a van in the car park. You pull up near it, get out of the car, call out your name at the back of the van (from a distance), move back, guy leaves crates with food packed in plastic bags next to boot of your car, he goes back to van, you load shopping into car and drive off. Man from van collects up empty crates. Sainsburys seem to have it well organised, but watch out for other shoppers going to go into store, who don't always observe social distancing rule.
If it's not Sainsburys, apologies, but thought this info might help someone else.

Thank you. Yes it's Sainsbury. Think doing the list online was more stressful than anything. Three quarters of the way through the list then bam it signs me out!! Thankfully the list was still there when once logging in again. Thanks for the Heads Up. My Sainsbury the click and collect is right towards the back of the car park so hopefully not too busy. More concerned about others who have booked the same slot as I can't see it just being me for that one hour, or I might be wrong.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has been an interesting post to read. All I do outside of normal hygiene & cleaning (and the rest of my household) is thoroughly wash my hands before I go out and and when I get back in. I'm now wondering if this is enough! Stripping off in the garage for a wash down?, notices on the door?, leaving parcels untouched for 24 hours etc? Wow, I am impressed with all of you. x

Reactions: set-in-stone

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most antibacterial sprays and wipes do kill viruses as well as bacteria
From Dettol website (as an example)
"Specific Dettol products have demonstrated effectiveness (>99.9% inactivation) against coronavirus strains from the same family as the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in third party laboratory testing, when used in accordance with the directions for use. These products are: Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Spray, Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Wipes, Dettol All-In-One Disinfectant Spray, and Dettol Disinfectant Liquid.

Given the structural similarities of the COVID-19 virus to the coronavirus strains tested previously (SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, Human Coronavirus), and based on the evidence available to us, we would expect our Dettol products (listed above) to be effective against the new strain. Definitive scientific confirmation of this, as with all other commercially available virucides, can only be provided once testing against COVID-19 Coronavirus has been conducted, following release of the strain by relevant health authorities.
"

The formulation of these Dettol products is similar to those in other sprays and wipes.

however they also say
"The CDC and World Health Organization specifically advises people to wash hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer as a key preventative measure against the spread Coronavirus COVID-19".

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This has been an interesting post to read. All I do outside of normal hygiene & cleaning (and the rest of my household) is thoroughly wash my hands before I go out and and when I get back in. I'm now wondering if this is enough! Stripping off in the garage for a wash down?, notices on the door?, leaving parcels untouched for 24 hours etc? Wow, I am impressed with all of you. x

I am in awe, also, but are some people going OTT I wonder? I suppose much depends on the location and whether it is a hot spot, and on whether household members are working outside the home, or needing to use public transport. I am not in a hot spot, and neither of us goes out to work or use public transport. Social distancing is very prevalent here. I have not noticed anyone failing to observe this even in the parks, and all the supermarkets are well organised with it.