Recipe books

Clemm

I'm not the greatest of cooks but as a newly diagnosed type 2 with virtually no support right now, I'm sick to the back teeth of meat/veg/salad , cheese and eggs and eating the same thing every day. Can anyone recommend a good recipe book that's not complicated or needs loads of ingredients that I could try , just for a bit of variety. I've no imagination when it comes to food but I can follow a recipe Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto plus whatever you fancy. Start with keto snacks.

Google fat head dough for pizza.

Google keto chocolate mug cake. 90 seconds in nuke machine and serve with double cream.

If you have a sweet tooth, google keto fat bombs.

Reactions: Clemm

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not the greatest of cooks but as a newly diagnosed type 2 with virtually no support right now, I'm sick to the back teeth of meat/veg/salad , cheese and eggs and eating the same thing every day. Can anyone recommend a good recipe book that's not complicated or needs loads of ingredients that I could try , just for a bit of variety. I've no imagination when it comes to food but I can follow a recipe Thanks
If like me you prefer a book rather than online recipes, two excellent Diabetes cookbooks by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi supported by Dr David Unwin; Low Carb Revolution by Annie Bell and my favourite - Eating to beat Type 2 Diabetes by Sarah Flower. There are several books I use which show the carb count of recipes particularly by Justine Pattison and Jamie Oliver’s recent books.
NB I follow a low carb (less than 130 carbs) diet not keto.
And yes I did put my diabetes into remission on that basis. I lost nearly 3 stone.

Reactions: Bex72

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't promise that it will suit you, but there are lots of meal suggestions, graded for carb content in the books by Dr Atkins. I would not recommend any of the publications from the Atkins Corporation, as it went off in pursuit of new business opportunities, but I have New Diet Revolution from 2003 which seems likely to suit if you can find that edition.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
Do you have any recipe books ? If so, I would suggest looking through those carefully. Are there recipes which are low carb ? Are there more, which could be adapted ? We make cheese sauce, by using a Pyrex bowl over simmering water (water mustn't touch it) to melt grated cheese into sour cream, single or double cream or creme fraiche. Are you okay with nuts ? If so, try using things like almond flour or assorted ground nuts, to 'bread' poultry or chicken. Could you sub a lower carb root veg for potatoes ? Could you spiralise vegetables instead of spaghetti, for a spagless bog ?

You should find at least some. I mark cook books with LC for low carb, GF for gluten free (husband is) and V for vegetarian (my mother). That way it only takes a glance to find something suitable.

One book I really like is The Dukan Diet Recipe Book. Dr Pierre Dukan got undoctored for promoting his diet. In UK or USA that would be fine if you're in private practice, but isn't in France. The book is gluten free and many of the recipes are vegetarian. Lots of them can be made low carb, merely by using full fat versions of creme fraiche, milk, cream etc and by buying fattier meat and poultry. They aren't complicated recipes, but have a bit of French flair.

Another way of gathering recipes on the cheap, is to go to your library (if open) and spend some time photocopying recipes. If charity shops are open, you may find a whole array of recipe books, including low carb ones eg Atkins, Pioppi Diet, diabetic cook books.