Over used injection site

Sunshine2297

Hello,
So I will hold my hands up and be completely honest (no one is allowed to tell me off ok!) I have used my tummy to inject my insulin, I've got into really bad lazy habits of not changing my needle every time and I tend not to rotate very much. I think it's because as the site has become more overused it's less painful and it's easy to access tummy area when in public.

I'd love advice on:

What I can do to help tender sites that I have previously used on my tummy, when I pinch it it's not painful as such, just tender. It feels the same as my other stomach areas so not lumpy... Does massaging it help, creams etc?

Any advice on new areas, how to make it less painful, more manageable when at work, or out in public, do you go to the toilet for privacy etc?

Thank you so much

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @Sunshine2297 TBH I never changed my needle unless I read a post that reminded me to, or just did it with the pen change, my nurse liked to remind me though !

Firstly never use the loo to inject it, they are unhygienic places so a definite no no, I used to stick my basal in my bum and use my thighs for quick acting, obviously depends on what you wear, who is around at the time and if you can use a 'safe' place to do it in. I am on a pump now so circumstances have changed now, but my rule of thumb with injections is literally pinch an inch and inject, so muffin tops or any fleshy area is fine !

I don't know of anything that helps sore sites except to leave alone and give them time to heal, get checked by your nurse when we are out of lock down though to check for lipohypotrophy though just in case as these sites are not good for absorption.

Aditya Singh

It's compulsory to rotate injection sites because you can take injection on your thigh..
20200501_172644.jpg

Reactions: Lebu

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I too have over used my tummy and what happens over the years is the (fatty??) lumps form under the skin which makes the injection less effective.. I must have favoured one side more than the other as I’ve only formed a lump on the left side.. I now rotate a little more... with a new needle the outer arms are easy for me especially in the summer when wearing t shirts

Not tried thigh or buttocks though

It too about 8 years for the lumps to form I’m wondering if I stop injecting there is the lumps will eventually disappear?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
@Sunshine2297 Er, here's an admission. I injected into my stomach for 25 years. I always used the left side in the morning and would travel round in a spiral, and then start the whole process again. Obviously if you are experiencing pain in other areas, I can't suggest you follow this example! The main reason for this was that my stomach was less sensitive than my thighs or my arms. I only changed needles (i.e syringes) when they became blunt and therefore when injecting became painful. I think the "health Nazis" would have been after me had they known! I hope things improve site wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshine2297

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I too have over used my tummy and what happens over the years is the (fatty??) lumps form under the skin which makes the injection less effective.. I must have favoured one side more than the other as I’ve only formed a lump on the left side.. I now rotate a little more... with a new needle the outer arms are easy for me especially in the summer when wearing t shirts

It too about 8 years for the lumps to form I’m wondering if I stop injecting there is the lumps will eventually disappear?
They will, but it takes a long time. Putting things in perspective, R.D Lawrence, the man who co-founded the British Diabetic Association with H G Wells, used to inject himself during dancing (!) through his trousers into the thigh! We're talking at least 80 years ago!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have to admit there has been times when I’ve been busy and felt I’ve really needed to inject that I’ve just cranked the dial on the pen and jabbed it through whatever part of my clothing wasn’t too thick.. not ideal but if it’s the only opportunity for the next hour or so..

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I change my needle tip if it's bent, otherwise reuse it. (Reusing needles was a great tip I received by one of the others on the DAFNE course I was on.) I always rotate my injection sites.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
In the morning while reading the news on my PC I inject my basal in one thigh and then my pre-breakfast bolus in the other thigh. Lunch and tea time I stab my tum on different sides. New needle with every injection.

Lebu

I am not good with needles,had to get used to it when my diagnosis came last October.I use my thighs and but chicks basal always on right and bolus on left.The thought of injecting my tummy makes me sweat!i don’t know if I can do it.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I change my needle tip if it's bent, otherwise reuse it. (Reusing needles was a great tip I received by one of the others on the DAFNE course I was on.) I always rotate my injection sites.

Haha one day I was trying to inject I wondered why my shirt was wet I realised my needle was so bent I didn’t actually inject anything

I change my needle when I change the cartridge or when it’s so dull that you hear it tear through the skin

MarkHaZ123

Thigh is perfect. I generally use thay area for most injections, as long as you get it to the right area you never feel it
I tend to have more issues with pain in the stomach but use this area when I'm say sat in the van having my dinner