What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee, tea and water this morning.

All the chat about marmite made me crave some so lunch was fried LoDough, spread with butter and marmite and with scrambled eggs on top. Followed by sf jelly, cream and grated 100% chocolate.
Dinner will be gammon cooked in IP with cauliflower cheese. Maybe something green too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee, tea and water this morning.

All the chat about marmite made me crave some so lunch was fried LoDough, spread with butter and marmite and with scrambled eggs on top. Followed by sf jelly, cream and grated 100% chocolate.
Dinner will be gammon cooked in IP with cauliflower cheese. Maybe something green too.
Oh I lke the sound of your lunch. Maybe if I get a run of good FBGs I will have a slice of HiLo toast with marmite and eggs. I love thick butter on cooled toast but cant have butter and marmite together, at least I dont think I can. :)

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

@DJC3 wrap the halloumi in bacon - even better then.
@Chook with you in the marmite.Vile stuff!

Well the good news is the spit roasted lamb breast worked! And cooked way quicker than I thought, which was just as well as I am led around for so long on my walk I got home a lot later than expected. Would probably drop the temperature a notch next time and cook for longer but a success. That was today’s only meal.

74907CE0-12B7-4D99-A3E2-BE44CE464D3F.jpeg
3212BA9C-282E-4D1A-8F09-E8DA88CB92BA.jpeg

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
one Staffordshire oatcake, two cups of decaf coffee, several cups of various types of tea, a pear, an apple, a small bowl of veg curry, a handful of peanuts and whatever my wife is going to make for our evening meal. It'll almost certainly be fish with some vegetables. I've done a 20km cycle ride today and my BG meter says - 11.2 (sigh)

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I lke the sound of your lunch. Maybe if I get a run of good FBGs I will have a slice of HiLo toast with marmite and eggs. I love thick butter on cooled toast but cant have butter and marmite together, at least I dont think I can. :)

So you haven’t been tempted by the M&S marmite butter? ( just marmite ready mixed with butter!) I bought some but it was a waste of money really - just as easy to do it myself. They also do a marmite cream cheese which is really tasty.
I must admit I really miss buttery marmite toast.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

@DJC3 wrap the halloumi in bacon - even better then.
@Chook with you in the marmite.Vile stuff!

Well the good news is the spit roasted lamb breast worked! And cooked way quicker than I thought, which was just as well as I am led around for so long on my walk I got home a lot later than expected. Would probably drop the temperature a notch next time and cook for longer but a success. That was today’s only meal.

View attachment 41157View attachment 41158

Looks superb.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and chocolate brownie phd bar
Late Lunch: tiny portion of left over cauliflower cheese followed by Greek yoghurt with, strawberries and vanilla and raspberry low carb granola.
Dinner: mushroom, cherry tomato and mature cheddar omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy work day again but moving forward.
Breakfast bacon, egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch cheese and lc seeded crackers
Mid afternoon Aldi nut and seedbar
Dinner pork chop, halloumi chips, asparagus and mushroom sauce followed by lc lemon cake with yoghurt and cream.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
07-05-2020

Breakfast: nut granola, 2x CWC, BACON melt.

CWC

Lunch. Ham salad. Home made Coleslaw. Water andTea

tea and more tea.

Dinner: 2 fat juicy Toulouse sausages with roast celeriac, red cabbage, green beans And onion gravy. Water and wine.

Tea.

Probably nothing else tonight.

@Chook and @Ann B If you look carefully at the photo. You will see the chips are the very skinny type. And only a handful, on top of two fried eggs. Also as these are frozen chips, pre cooked and then frozen there may be some resistant starch going on here as well. Am assuming the chicken thighs and cheese eaten earlier in the evening gave some level of protection as well.

@Brunneria would love halloumi chips. Have eaten the last of my halloumi (bought in UK) last week. It's completely unobtainable here, even before Lock Down

20200507_185748.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah thank you. I remember now and I do have an account with them. Sounds like it might be interesting (and expensive!) having a browse around too.
Your butchers thing sounds fab, I might have a go at copying it.
Interesting about other people having the same in and off relapsing as you and @Annb I do hope you can both shake it off soon.
The minced pork thingy was quite fat i.e. not sausage size - much bigger so it kept the cheese in. It also had a fair bit ground pepper in it. Quite tasty though.

I found it really interesting these other people were relapsing too (and it sounds like @Annb is the same). No doubt there are more people in the same boat. I was reassured though that they got through it at home and that, like me, it was devastating when you relapse again. At least I knew then what I felt was normal.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The minced pork thingy was quite fat i.e. not sausage size - much bigger so it kept the cheese in. It also had a fair bit ground pepper in it. Quite tasty though.

I found it really interesting these other people were relapsing too (and it sounds like @Annb is the same). No doubt there are more people in the same boat. I was reassured though that they got through it at home and that, like me, it was devastating when you relapse again. At least I knew then what I felt was normal.

I'm not only relapsing from time to time with this viral thing, but I'm also relapsing in my determination to stay low carb! Result is my BG is crazy despite extra insulin to try to cope. Perhaps the 2 things are connected but which one is causing the other, I wonder. chicken and egg situation. Well, I'll make it an egg situation today - probably scrambled for breakfast. Then try to stay away from the carby comfort foods for the rest of the day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday bed 6.9 FBG 6.6. Like you @Annb my BGs have been a bit all over the place (although not as high. Worst was 9.2). Mostly I'm staying in 5's and 6's. I've come to the conclusion it's just the immune system disposing off the invaders. I'm better than I was but still far from perfect. @Chook - your Alexa thing reminded me of my sister and her husband staying with my brother just after our Dad dying. Brother had talking scales in the bathroom that always opened with "Hello". Sister's Hubby must have nudged them and he ended up getting quite excitable about the constant "Hellos" not knowing where they were coming from, thinking it was Dad and brother & sister trying to stifle their laughter. @PenguinMum & @DJC3 - Marmite?? Yuk! I'm now struggling with taste. This is finally breaking up but it's leaving a nasty taste which no amount of Corsidol toothpaste & mouthwash can shift.
B. Yesterday TAG and a couple of GF oatcakes with 2 Dairylea triangles.
L. A mug of vegetable clear broth. @Annb you may find a clear broth helps. It made a difference with me.
D. A couple of bits of salmon from the freezer with veggie chips. Didn't finish the salmon as it was a bit dry. Finished the chia pudding later.

@DJC3 & @SlimLizzy - mydietshop & Amazon both have Almond flour. It's a bit more expensive being the flour. Amazon also have a rough grind at a reasonable price but I have a mill that I can fine grind it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the minced pork thingy description @maglil55 I was going to get the stuff from the butchers today but I forgot it’s a bank hol so won’t be open.
Also thanks for the mydietshop heads up re almond flour I haven’t looked at it yet - no idea why, it’s not like I’ve been rushed off my feet!
Your story about Alexa made me smile. It reminded me of my dads birthday the year after he died. My mobile rang and the caller ID was ‘Dad’ I nearly had a heart attack and answered tentatively. It was my dad’s best friend! I’d forgotten I’d given him dads mobile after he’d died ( it was one of those designed for old folk, large buttons and display, no fancy extras to confuse) he was just ringing me to remember his dear departed friend’s birthday. Luckily he has a new phone now so I don’t have that shock if he rings these days.
Sorry to hear your taste buds are still suffering. Wouldn’t it be great if, when they return to normal eventually you realise you did like marmite?

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the minced pork thingy description @maglil55 I was going to get the stuff from the butchers today but I forgot it’s a bank hol so won’t be open.
Also thanks for the mydietshop heads up re almond flour I haven’t looked at it yet - no idea why, it’s not like I’ve been rushed off my feet!
Your story about Alexa made me smile. It reminded me of my dads birthday the year after he died. My mobile rang and the caller ID was ‘Dad’ I nearly had a heart attack and answered tentatively. It was my dad’s best friend! I’d forgotten I’d given him dads mobile after he’d died ( it was one of those designed for old folk, large buttons and display, no fancy extras to confuse) he was just ringing me to remember his dear departed friend’s birthday. Luckily he has a new phone now so I don’t have that shock if he rings these days.
Sorry to hear your taste buds are still suffering. Wouldn’t it be great if, when they return to normal eventually you realise you did like marmite?
Yuk! Here's the link to the rough ground

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ground-Alm...lmonds&qid=1588927455&sprefix=ground+&sr=8-12

And the fine milled almond flour

https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/baking-co...142.html?search_query=Almond+flour&results=47

The rough grind is 1kg the fine milled 250g. As I said I have the mill attachment for the Kenwood but even I buy the fine milled sometimes - good quality.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@DJC3 .
I
Your Dad's mobile phone reminded me that when Mr C's mother died last December she left him a clock she had received as a present many years ago. BIL commented when we picked up the clock that it had never worked and maybe we could get it fixed. i carried it on my lap for the 2 hour drive home and unloaded it from the car. I put it on the mantelpiece out of the way when we unloaded the rest of the stuff in the car. Just as we finished unloading we heard a chime - it was the clock. It has worked ever since EXCEPT when we moved it to decorate then it stopped no matter where we put it until we put it back on the middle of the mantelpiece.

Today....

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: cheese on toast
Dinner: crustless quiche and salad

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in olive oil on 2 slices ciabatta (about 60g carb based on packet info.) Coffee with milk. Also had some home made pickled cabbage (unsweetened) with it.
Lunch: cheese salad (peppers, carrot, celery, tomato, cucumber, home made wild garlic paste and vinaigrette) Corner of bread (20g carb possibly) to mop up sauce. Cup of tea with full fat milk. Water. Small handful mixed nuts.
Running a bit later in early evening.

Reactions: Annb

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Hi all, For breakfast this morning I had blue and raspberries with cream sprinkled with chia seeds and for lunch I had 3 rashers of bacon with a diddy bit of ketchup. Trying to give ketchup up....honest.
You could make your own ketchup without sugar I bet there's a recipe online. I've started making my own pickled stuff without sugar and I love it!!

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @Chook I dont know if I believe in divine intervention but here’s my story. On the afternoon after my mother’s funeral I was alone in my brother’s house (while he drove a drunk uncle home). First I heard voices upstairs and on investigation it was my nephew’s laptop turned itself on despite not having been used for 18 months and him long moved out. The other thing was my car outside the window of the front room where I was unlocked itself despite the keys being on a window ledge at the back of the house. I could only think it was my mother!

Breakfast today was usual slice LivLife toast, butter, lots of tea.
Lunch was egg mayo and little gem leaves, 3 cherry toms.
Supper will be smoked haddock and spicy rice/spicy cauli rice.
Will raise a gin & soda to the veterans past and present. Some wonderful men and women on breakfast news this morning.

@DJC3 not at all sure about having Marmite and butter combined. It was always one or the other on my toast. Its funny how sneaking a spoonful of Marmite late at night is nothing like as appealing as peanut butter lol.