My first try at glucose monitoring

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was tested at 48 then 47 on the H1BAC, so that counts as only borderline diabetes if at all. The doctor didn't tell me to do any glucose testing, and I wasn't planning on doing so. But a member of the family announced that she had bought me SafeAQ Sinocare blood glucose monitoring kit, and it arrived in the post yesterday. I tested this morning and it was a 7.2. Is it strange that it should not be lower even though I didn't have any carbohydrates yesterday? I'm not planning on testing this regularly, as I'm trying to follow the keto diet so as not to get into the diabetic range, and also I don't like blood and needles (and it was very hard to get any blood out even though I put the lancet's prick depth at the maximum of 9). Would you regard 7.2 as nothing to worry about?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Languagelearner

It’s difficult to read anything into a single, random blood glucose measurement. Having said that, an HbA1c of 47 roughly equates (I say roughly as HbA1c is an average over several weeks and a finger prick is a snapshot in time) to an average blood glucose reading of 7.7 according to the calculator on this site: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

If you’re going to monitor your levels - and it is a good idea to do so, then testing at meals immediately before your first bite and again 2 hours later will give you the best information. Ideally you’re looking for a rise of no more than 2mmols. Anything more and there are too many carbs in the meal and it needs adjusting.

For what it’s worth, the morning reading is often the last to come down.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would dial down the needle. You should not test the finger pad, that's where the nerves are. Prick the side of the finger in line with the nail.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would dial down the needle. You should not test the finger pad, that's where the nerves are. Prick the side of the finger in line with the nail.

Thank you. I'll try that. Yes, I was pricking the finger pad.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It also helps to prick your finger, then leave it for 4 or 5 seconds to allow the hole to 'open up', before you squeeze your finger to get the blood out. If the weather is really cold, I have to leave it a few seconds longer than this.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More tips :
  1. have warm hands before you prick
  2. Massage the selected finger from palm to tip a few times before pricking and again if blood doesn’t flow easily after (not just a squeeze at the tip)
  3. Some fingers and parts of fingers bleed more easily than others and sting a bit more. Learn which are which so you can turn the dial down as much as possible.
  4. definitely avoid mid pad and right on the tip most of all