What are you doing to keep covid out of your home

Hotpepper20000

we have to remember that unlike some countries like Canada (where I am) and as I understand it UK there isn’t much social assistance for those who can’t work because of of the lock down. The choice is self isolating, or the chance of bringing it home by going out and working to pay rent and buy groceries.
The economy can not be shut down for ever. Governments are not a endless source of cash.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doing nothing whatsoever. Mother Nature has found a way to decrease the ever increasing world population, if that includes me then so be it. None of us own or have “ our time “.What will be will be. A small reduction in this ever increasing world population can only be good for humanity going forward.
I would rather be one of the survivors along with all my family and friends, so I will do all I can to stay safe, I am not fanatical but I take care whenever I can

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would rather be one of the survivors along with all my family and friends, so I will do all I can to stay safe, I am not fanatical but I take care whenever I can
I fully understand. I no more want to die from covid than anyone else.
SEPSIS. Kills more people than cancer every year worldwide, approx 11 million people.
Sepsis can kill you from no more than a cut on your finger, even a scratch that goes unnoticed.
Like you say. “ stay safe”:)

Reactions: kev-w

Tannith

BANNED
Have you been told to shield by your doctor or are you doing it voluntarily?
I have been told to shield by my doctor because I have copd which is one of the highest risk comorbidities if not THE highest. I also have high blood pressure but I think that only puts you in the "vulnerable" category rather than the "extremely vulnerable" category. Plus I am 74. I don't think my T2 would be likely to increase my personal risk (though it does for most people) because I regard it as being in remission.

Bearing up

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In one respect I feel so lucky in that we are remote , just one other high risk neighbour , its a long road to the farm, the postie and the couriers are fantastic every thing is left at the end of the road and when collected is sprayed with virkron-s before getting handled. Food is still an issue though ( did you know there is an app that alerts you to the changes on certain sites as to when the delivery slots come up ? )
I feel for those of you in towns and close proximity to the potential "unclean" at least we have plenty of space to roam about.
To day we found in the emergency box a slab of kendal mint cake its about 12 years old and looks fine , however were not that deperate, yet :)
Stay safe keep the faith

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Doing nothing whatsoever. Mother Nature has found a way to decrease the ever increasing world population, if that includes me then so be it.

I've seen this line touted a few times in various places.

But it's not doing a very good job is it? Producing a virus that predominately kills those that have long since bred (and even overbred). It's hardly going to keep the population down.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
For me (despite the fact we're near better off than any other country in the fatalities) I think it's nigh on impossible to beat infections regardless of the precautions. I've been in a self imposed lock down for weeks nonetheless. Did that stop me catching a bad cold? Nope.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen this line touted a few times in various places.

But it's not doing a very good job is it? Producing a virus that predominately kills those that have long since bred (and even overbred). It's hardly going to keep the population down.
So your suggestion is to kill the young, virile breeders of a species to make it ultimately stronger?
Perhaps you need to watch some of David Attenborough on TV to understand how other species that we share this planet with manage to survive.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some views in this thread are abhorrent to me. We aren't animals. It shouldn't be just about survival of the fit and virile. We should have compassion for all. That's what makes our species different.

But hey let's just imagine only the young and fit survive this. Then no diabetics would be left alive to tell the tale as we have a disease too, so should therefore just curl up and die quietly, leaving the young and fit to party in the park.

Goodbye then

Tannith

BANNED
This is one of several sites which tell you how to make a visor out of a pop bottle. I shall be making a couple in case I have to have, say, plumber in my house. Or to wear on the big day I go out for my vaccination! I shall also follow Lucylocket's excellent example and make some cloth face masks for the same reason. I have noticed that doctors often wear a disposable mask on top of their tight fitting masks. I wonder if this is to keep infected droplets off the masks that can't easily be re used. I have a couple of DIY dust masks that I can't afford to throw away.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Sorry, @zand, we are animals. We’ve given ourselves a status that persuades us we’re not, but we have Just a few genetic differences from most other animals, and our biology’s not that different from others mammals.
Our ability to speak, read and write has, I believe, given us an inflated view of our importance. We know that other creatures communicate, and yet most of us have decided to make them learn our language rather than learning theirs.
That said, I don’t wish Covid-19 on anyone.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents, could we please keep this thread to the topic, which is: "What are you doing to keep covid out of your home", and resist meandering off into survival of the fittest, et all.

I'm not immune myself from meandering off on threads, but let's make the effort please.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Okidoke @DCUKMod, sorry. I felt I just had to respond to the statement.

at the risk of wandering off the thread, I’ve just read an article that makes me wonder if we oldies will be sanitising, washing down with soap, keeping visitors out, trying to grow as much veg as possible so that we don’t have to have it delivered - all of which we’re doing in our home, for a long time yet.
I’ve recently used soap and cold water to wash down the plastic bag two new boxes of insulin came in, then the two boxes containing five cartridges each, and finally the plastic containers of the vials themselves. My new stock’s in the cool bag in the fridge and the reading glasses are ready to check the date before I use them.
Some of you may think I’m overdoing things, but you know what, I don’t care.

and the article I’ve just read. It may be a little off topic, but it does suggest why we’ll possibly all be developing new habits.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...is-of-the-anthropocene?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Be A Lert.jpg

Max68

Just to lighten things up a tad. Went for a walk yesterday in a field I use which is very quiet so hopefully not risking bringing the virus back home. Decided to trudge down into some woods which I must say were wonderful with the sun shining and in all honesty you wouldn't have thought a virus was about with birds singing, sun rays coming through the trees etc. However I made a conscious decision to totally avoid getting too close to others which on small footpaths in woods isn't easy. So every time I saw a body coming towards me I deviated down a different path until I was totally lost!! Hadn't got a clue where I was so managed to calm myself and used the sun (or tried) to make my way back which fortunately I did after about two hours!! I could still be in there! Took shoes off, clothes in the wash and hopped in the shower upon returning to try and safe as safe as possible!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just to lighten things up a tad. Went for a walk yesterday in a field I use which is very quiet so hopefully not risking bringing the virus back home. Decided to trudge down into some woods which I must say were wonderful with the sun shining and in all honesty you wouldn't have thought a virus was about with birds singing, sun rays coming through the trees etc. However I made a conscious decision to totally avoid getting too close to others which on small footpaths in woods isn't easy. So every time I saw a body coming towards me I deviated down a different path until I was totally lost!! Hadn't got a clue where I was so managed to calm myself and used the sun (or tried) to make my way back which fortunately I did after about two hours!! I could still be in there! Took shoes off, clothes in the wash and hopped in the shower upon returning to try and safe as safe as possible!
There’s a guy who stayed in the woods for 27 years, but he didn’t need diabetes meds. And he didn’t have to wash everything to keep the virus away. Walks like yours are a great antidote to the mental load of an enemy that’s invisible to the naked eye.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live in a small hamlet so I have lots of tracks to walk along, we have two dogs so it,s good to get out , after tomorrow we do not have to fill a form in and sign it every time we go out and will not be restricted to one hours exercise a day, I am looking forward to have life a little bit easier but I will keep wearing a mask

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m currently working transporting covid patients between facilities, wear the correct PPE for that, strip off in the hallway when I get home and put my uniform into a drawstring bag a friend kindly made for me put it all and straight into a hot wash; wipe my kit (trauma shears, pulse oximeter, fob watch, pen etc) with Clinell wipes, and hop straight in a hot bath run for me by whoever is home. Rinse and repeat after every shift.

Apart from that I mostly try not to lick random stuff.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I.m quite envious of you right now I would love to go out and get lost in the wood for a few hours but so far have not stepped out of the house further than the front step for about seven weeks even then I have to be Alert to passers by especially the ones riding pushbikes pell-mell along the pavement.

Max68

I.m quite envious of you right now I would love to go out and get lost in the wood for a few hours but so far have not stepped out of the house further than the front step for about seven weeks even then I have to be Alert to passers by especially the ones riding pushbikes pell-mell along the pavement.

It was quite nerve wracking and bizarre to be honest John and I got lost because I just didn't want to take risks. Only had one moment when a family came ahead and I had a couple behind me at a sty. So I and the couple behind jumped in the bushes and let the family pass at a tracks width distance. Strange how you "fear" others like they are Zombies and funny how you suddenly become aware that your hands touch the posts as you climb over the sty and then you get an irritating itchy nose which you then try and scratch with your elbow!!

Did a click and collect today as well which also was bizarrely nerve wracking but it went fine bar the fact that they gave me a salad bowl and a carrot and swede mash both use by today!! Sure one will be fine tomorrow! Lots of wiping down the goods and washing hands many times when I got back though! Quite paranoid and I've never been like that!

Reactions: Tannith