How stupid can you be...?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the wine is OK. depends on what is in the cakes. It is definitely a learnig curve. :wideyed:
Honey, spice and orange, but I didn't ice or fill them just left them plain .... and very tasty they were too (blush)

Sarah82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure many of us can relate. I know I can. You'll get back there, your numbers can easily be brought down again. I also recommend dark chocolate with a high cocoa content. I couldn't stand it at first but then my taste buds got used to it.

Reactions: ickihun

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right now I’m so annoyed with myself.

Almost exactly 2 years ago, I was diagnosed T2 following blood tests after an incidence of gout. My cholesterol, blood pressure and liver enzyme activity were all high and my weight was 228 lbs (16st4lbs, 104 kgs).

My blood sugar level was 55 mmol.

Within 2 months I’d successfully reversed the T2, blood pressure, cholesterol and liver enzyme activity.

I’d also lost a total of 56 lbs (4 stone, 28kgs).

At my January check up this year my blood sugar level was 32 mmol - at normal levels.

Then this darned COVID-19 comes along, literally 2 months after I’ve sunk around £200k into a new business. Then the stressful eating habits returned. I’ve been bingeing on chocolate and all kinds of other ****. Although my weight hasn’t increased much I’ve been self testing my blood levels. My morning readings are around 7.2 and before bed around 5.7 (having not eaten for a few hours.

I’ve been unable to stay awake 30/40 minutes after pigging out on chocolate. I’m pretty sure that I’ve undone all my good work.

Talk about stupid.

Hi,

Not long before this. I sunk some savings into a new PA..? I play in two bands. The diary for gigs was filling up.. Only got to use it thrice. Who knew.?
As others have pointed out. No need to kick yourself. We don't have a "crystal ball."
However strive for longevevity & out run COVID, live your ambition?

Oh did I not mention the two or three tots of whisky and that reading was at two hours so I am unsure of the peak value for me an excursion into double figures is one I normally try to avoid if possible.

Not always successfully I might add.

3 tots? Possibly holding back the morning liver dump? :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
3 tots? Possibly holding back the morning liver dump?
Don't know about that but certainly makes me feel less worried about it btw still at 9.6 well after 3 hours.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm selling things on the internet - I'd usually see some money coming in from doing the servicing of knitting machines at the local University, doing lessons or repairs, or servicing for locals, so I have had to find new ways to create a bit of income. It isn't vast amounts, but I have a small pension, just need that bit extra to do the car insurance and suchlike bills.
I would usually be doing several evening and weekend excursions with the morris dancers/maypole/longsword team all throughout the summer months, and practice sessions beforehand, so I am missing them, but I am practicing the music and learning new tunes for when we can go out again. I have found that I am eating far less these days, no appetite at all. I only realised just how little I have been eating when I found there was hardly any room in the freezer and nowhere to put the salad stuff despite having two fridges.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I’m hoping that I can achieve the result again. But tbh I’m really struggling with my extreme chocolate addiction. I can forego neals to pig out on the stuff.
My own solution is I won't buy it. Kids have a little but I normally resist. Little one likes Oreo chocolate but luckily for me I hate anything Oreo. Other son likes fruit juices. They are too strong for me so luckily I happily pass on their offer of sharing. Other half likes crisps. They have never done anything for me. What are their purpose anyway?
So what is chocolate doing for you? Filling a craving. Eating that craving away with a lean protein works but any protein satisfies me much more and clubs that craving on it's head. It can help the liver too.
Buy a new treat for yourself, you deserve it. Something better than chocolate?

Jamie H

Oh did I not mention the two or three tots of whisky and that reading was at two hours so I am unsure of the peak value for me an excursion into double figures is one I normally try to avoid if possible.

Not always successfully I might add.
You're not the only one. We try our best but we can't always be perfect. Double figures are a lot rarer than they used to be so we shouldn't beat ourselves up over the odd excursion. I'll cheers to a few wee drams sir

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I think as we all know this is for life that we have to be careful not to beat ourselves up when we lapse. Easier said than done I know.
I'm another who finds it easier to have none rather than moderation . I also love chocolate. Luckily here in Aus there is a brand of milk chocolate with very few carbs. zi eat enough to have between 2 and 3 grams of carbs. I then have something else shortly afterwards to I get over the lovely taste. I then find it easier to resist. While I can still taste it I want more. That his just works for me.

I am sure that I will lapse and have too many carbs- but I am always comforted by the threads here giving support and advice to someone who has done that. I know I can always come back here and someone will be here. I also test every day- that means I have an objective measure on how my body is going.

Just know we do understand but now it is time to get back on the wagon knowing that people here really understand. It is a time of great upheaval in the whole world . We are not super human just human and we have to get through this time as well as we can.

Take care of yourself.

Reactions: Serena51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right now I’m so annoyed with myself.

Almost exactly 2 years ago, I was diagnosed T2 following blood tests after an incidence of gout. My cholesterol, blood pressure and liver enzyme activity were all high and my weight was 228 lbs (16st4lbs, 104 kgs).

My blood sugar level was 55 mmol.

Within 2 months I’d successfully reversed the T2, blood pressure, cholesterol and liver enzyme activity.

I’d also lost a total of 56 lbs (4 stone, 28kgs).

At my January check up this year my blood sugar level was 32 mmol - at normal levels.

Then this darned COVID-19 comes along, literally 2 months after I’ve sunk around £200k into a new business. Then the stressful eating habits returned. I’ve been bingeing on chocolate and all kinds of other ****. Although my weight hasn’t increased much I’ve been self testing my blood levels. My morning readings are around 7.2 and before bed around 5.7 (having not eaten for a few hours.

I’ve been unable to stay awake 30/40 minutes after pigging out on chocolate. I’m pretty sure that I’ve undone all my good work.

Talk about stupid.
It's not about stupid, it's about life throwing up hurdles and comfort food having that name for a reason. Basically, you're human. You know where things are going wrong, so you can tackle it. And you're certainly not alone right now in going through this, with Covid-19 going around. (Though, the 200k pounds I can't quite relate to. :dead:I hope it'll work out!).

You haven't undone your hard work, you reaped the benefits while it lasted. Just do it again!

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"I’ve been unable to stay awake 30/40 minutes after pigging out on chocolate"

This is a big hurdle for me too, once that packet if Tim tams is open I can't stop until the packet is finished