Suspect Novorapid batch

Johnny A

My sugar levels started at 15 at 6.00 this morning. At 10.00am still 15 and noon up to 19.
I have taken plenty of insulin , eaten very little, with no effect. Are suspect batches a common occurrence? This batch is JR7 1D42.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had batches of Fiasp that do that. Do you have a different batch you can try? Is it the end of a cartridge, or vial (if you're on a pump), as insulin can become less effective when it's been out of the fridge for a while (even within the 28 days it's support to be ok out of the fridge for). Have you checked for ketones, and are you rotating your injection sites?

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugar levels started at 15 at 6.00 this morning. At 10.00am still 15 and noon up to 19.
I have taken plenty of insulin , eaten very little, with no effect. Are suspect batches a common occurrence? This batch is JR7 1D42.

Hi @Johnny A ,

Welcome to the forum.

Do you also take a basal? (long acting insulin.)
(If so.) could you have forgotten it the evening/night before.?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's pretty rare for an insulin to go off assuming it's been stored correctly. Do you have excess weight and hence insulin resistance?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Daibell. It's actually very common according to my hospital team and others on this forum. We have no way of knowing if it's been stored correctly before we receive it, and there was a big study done in America ( unfortunately I can't find the link now) that proved that the strength of the same insulin in different batches varied considerably. Definitely been my experience many many times, both with Apidra and Fiasp. Just had a vial that required me to reduce basal a lot, opened a new one from a different batch, back to previous requirements.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daibell. It's actually very common according to my hospital team and others on this forum. We have no way of knowing if it's been stored correctly before we receive it, and there was a big study done in America ( unfortunately I can't find the link now) that proved that the strength of the same insulin in different batches varied considerably. Definitely been my experience many many times, both with Apidra and Fiasp. Just had a vial that required me to reduce basal a lot, opened a new one from a different batch, back to previous requirements.
Interesting. I've been using Basal/Bolus Novo Nordisk cartridges for around 5 years now and never had a problem and I've seen very few posts where the user changed cartridges/vial and it actually solved the problem.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had this recently. Al of a sudden I've been needing at least 50% more bolus than I was before, tried different batches of insulin and same thing. Basal is spot on as without no food its very stable.

Only thing changed recently is my sleep pattern and lack of sleep, I have begun to conclude this has a significant impact on BS levels.