What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
good afternoon all :)

4.5 this morning

went out for a quick walk yesterday evening and came back chilled and soggy, I expected the soggy and lagged myself accordingly ;) didn't expect it to be so cold with such a high wind :)chill factor though :sorry:

Temperature was down to 3'C last night and it's only 5'C this morning and we've had snow showers on and off today. The snow's not lying at our level but it's cold even in the sun peeping through between showers. It's supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow thankfully :)

Over to mum's taking Sunday dinner today, also to give the bathroom a clean and stock up her log pile for the woodburner. Mr gee trimmed some of the wool off Katy's feet whilst we were there, not an easy task, Katy's middle name should be 'wriggle' :hilarious:

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@dogslife - hugs for you and your Mum, what a terrible extra stress for you both.
@gennepher - your pastels are a joy every day :)
@Muddy Cyclist - a lovely sketch for inspiration, the colour in the foreground glows :joyful:

Art catch up for today - I have been thinking about broadening my painting experience by either copying or making work inspired by other artists' paintings/styles/ pallet. I understand that this is not an uncommon way to practice.
I will post the first of these today, I don't know how other people feel about my posting these here and will accept guidance or comment gladly. It is my intention to make clear with each study whether it is a copy or 'inspired by' and who the original artist is.

no 1 - just a quick pic. I read somewhere about adding a hint of 'figures' in the distance to help with scale. I will get around to painting a 'real' figure eventually but it seems to work. Took about 25 mins.
View attachment 41228

no 2 - This is the first of my 'inspired by' paintings - this one is inspired by buildings in the paintings of Dominique C. Boco - and I wanted to have a bash at a darker sky.
View attachment 41229
Thank you @geefull. Your pictures helped to cheer me.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak
Yes - I absolutely agree. Boris has definitely just volunteered the English as guinea pigs . A lot of people will think that lockdown is over as the advice is so ambiguous.
Sadly many already do think lockdown is over. Not just politicians to blame, many people are not taking any notice of any advice and bending the rules. I have retired nurse friends who think we are all being bullied and it's all a nonsense, neighbours who think it's fine to have all family around, groups of young people meeting to drink and party in rural locations, car parks are all closed on Cannock Chase but cars are parked on verges everywhere, not enough police to enforce rules here. The government last statement 'Stay at home save the NHS' was clear enough to all of us and many of our family and friends so why not everyone else? I agree the new message is a bit ambiguous but the last one wasn't and still many of the public couldn't or wouldn't follow it. Difficult times.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much @Muddy Cyclist. How are things with you?
Difficult, MIL been tested again, results Monday. Many of the regular care home staff are now refusing to go to work and so they are having to employ agency staff, two deaths so far but no clarity as to if virus or just normal care home mortality. We have had a video call with MIL she seemed well enough. Hope you get to speak to your mom.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Difficult, MIL been tested again, results Monday. Many of the regular care home staff are now refusing to go to work and so they are having to employ agency staff, two deaths so far but no clarity as to if virus or just normal care home mortality. We have had a video call with MIL she seemed well enough. Hope you get to speak to your mom.
Mum will be 91on Friday. Not possible to see or speak with her as it would probably confuse/unsettle her and cause anxiety and I wouldn't be able to visit to reassure her. Hard for me but better for mum as she seems to be settled atm. Sorry to hear about the difficult situation you are all in. Your MIL seems resilient from what you have posted so far. I truly hope the results are good tomorrow and that all goes well for your MIL. Best wishes.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think @dogslife , as awful as this is.
While I have little confidence in this governments handling of this crisis.

If mum was going to be in this situation, now is better then before.. As in it is definitely on everyone's radar.

So I think the government is going to be shamed into doing as much as possible.

I have said, it has impaled itself in its own stupidity/ignorance, that the way back to normal had been blocked by the care homes scandal.

Trying not to be political.

Just pointing out that the light is being shone now and it wasn't before.

Not much comfort, i had my mum
in a home, so have a level of understanding, and you do have my total sympathy in this situation,
And much as I fully understand and would be equally as worried and fearful.

It would be looking to that one fact, I was holding dear.

I Pray mum is fine, as are all.

Stay safe.
Stay well.
Warmest of hugs.

Last edited:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think @dogslife , as awful as this is.
While I have little confidence in this governments handling of this crisis.

If mum was going to be in this situation, now is better then before.. As in it is definitely on everyone's radar.

So I think the government is going to be shamed into doing as much as possible.

I have said, it has impaled itself in its own stupidity/ignorance, that the way back to normal had been blocked by the care homes scandal.

Trying not to be political.

Just pointing out that the light is being shone now and it wasn't before.

Not much comfort, i had my mum
in a home, so have a level of understanding, and you do have my total sympathy in this situation,
And much as I fully understand and would be equally as worried and fearful.

It would be looking to that one fact, I was holding dear.

I Pray mum is fine, as are all.

Stay safe.
Stay well.
Warmest of hugs.
Thank you@jjraak. Your words are much appreciated.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a 5.7 for me today.

Another fine and sunny start with clear blue skies, will it last?

Well no work to get myself off to so staying at home doing much of the same.

Keep safe and make good use of your day.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 5.9

Temp 35.8

Beautiful day.

Watched the sky last three hours.

Meditated.

Now blue sky, wispy clouds.

Going out to do pastel painting, but it is 2 C out there.

That beautiful morning light is uplifting.

Might be back in bed to get warm in a wee bit with electric blanket on....

Take care
Enjoy the day

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a chilly and damp Suffolk border with my homeland. A day of shoulder of lamb, roast veg, box set of World at War and Glemorangie produced 4.9 on the screen but what it really was is the important question no one can answer. There is a bulky file with such questions in my desk which grew considerably yesterday evening. Hugs for all who need them, especially those with loved ones in Care Homes. I draw comfort that my parents are safely passed on to wherever and Julie's mum is happily living independently at 90 but feel for you and the carers. Suffolk tree pollen doesn't seem to suit my delicate constitution - at least not Breckland. Have a safe day with all the vitals and safety you need. How does one stay alert to an unseen, unheard, odourless enemy that may be unwittingly transported by anyone or anything - including those told they were free when tested?

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly many already do think lockdown is over. Not just politicians to blame, many people are not taking any notice of any advice and bending the rules. I have retired nurse friends who think we are all being bullied and it's all a nonsense, neighbours who think it's fine to have all family around, groups of young people meeting to drink and party in rural locations, car parks are all closed on Cannock Chase but cars are parked on verges everywhere, not enough police to enforce rules here. The government last statement 'Stay at home save the NHS' was clear enough to all of us and many of our family and friends so why not everyone else? I agree the new message is a bit ambiguous but the last one wasn't and still many of the public couldn't or wouldn't follow it. Difficult times.
Yes, I agree that the stay at home message was totally unambiguous and it is such a shame that some people have put everyone at risk because they have not followed it

My daughter was speaking to me yesterday while she was in a queue for click and collect and she had to tell the man behind her to move back as he was too close. He totally ignored her. She stayed calm but I could hear from her voice as she urged him to keep his distance that she was getting upset.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
11-05-2020
8.15am FBG 4 9.
Chilly here today and windy. Normally would be finding myself some inside work on a day like this. It's a good good thing I haven't finished packing away the winter clothes and the wind will dry the washing, which the muddy mess is creating in abundance.
Stay/well and keep safe. Lockdown easing starts here today, but my plan is to stay home hopefully at least a week

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another really good reading - 5.2.

Could there possibly be a connection between me keeping the delicious crunchy almond butter under lock and key with strict rules not under any circumstances to open the jar and the low fasting blood sugars that always follow that decision.

If only one teaspoon was enough - unfortunately it never is so the almond butter must remain in lockdown for a bit longer.

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My pastel painting. A quickie. 20 mins.
And a pic of his Lordship by my bedroom door, sunbathing.
I have only 53mb internet data left for today, and so you won't see me again until tomorrow...
AE3EA5AF-3074-49D7-A958-3C8DF6C547CA.jpeg

6C971547-C1CF-4821-A88A-6031CD88A4F8.jpeg

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No manure Sherlock/STBO award of the day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52606373. Were these people paid for that?
Sadly STBO has become the thing to do if you want to earn the big bucks. Working as an unpaid advisor to our local council as a Mountain Bike Representative for the AONB I have seen thousands of pounds spent on consultants STBO. Or worse still, stating their opinion which later proves disastrous as they should have STBO. Worlds gone mad.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning pop pickers from another day of wonderful chill and gloom in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of leftover meatloaf bat out of hell side salad and cheese came in at “for crying out loud” 4.6 this am

In celebration of nothing in particular, I wheeled my bike out of the garage, fired it up and gave it lots of noise to get the temperature up so that the fan kicked in. All was well and it seemed really happy after such a long sleep connected to it’s Optimate battery conditioner.

So, nothing much has changed since 7pm last night. I shall wait for the full story to be given out in Parliament but I am quite sure that I know what “be alert” means although for some on the left hand side of the bell curve let’s hope that the full explanation is “clear” so that the “why can’t everything be free” brigade don’t partner up with loony Laura and her daft pal from Sky news.

On the home front, kimchi is bubbling away, socially distancing itself from the broccoli sprouts and the kefir (still not fully up to speed).

Have the very best day that you can, hope your blood sugars are behaving today @alf_Josiah - koffy calls,

upload_2020-5-11_9-49-47.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all, believe it or not doomy petulantly threw a 5.6 at me this morning! He was not happy but I danced a jig around the kitchen! Hope everyone is coping with all of the really, really accurate and not rumour filled reporting (I try not to watch it now if I'm honest) and everyone is safe and well. I have been busy painting the pallet couch, cutting hedges and other super exciting things.
Take care and stay safe everyone.