How do you overcome fear of testing?

buzzybeelaine

Hi everyone,

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My nurse is brilliant and has given me all sorts of information. Only thing is she has told me I have to do my blood sugars twice a day, every other day, and there lies the problem. I feel sick, shaky, panicky etc etc when I have to do it and so far I have only managed to do this a couple of times and I dont know how to pluck up the courage to push that button and get it over and done with. Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get over this fear. Its no good asking my family to help me because they all have the same fear as me with blood/needles. I sit clicking the button on the thing so I get used to the noise and I can see the needle is really tiny but I just cant do it. I feel really silly for being such a baby but I just cant help myself. If I thought I could get away with it I would make up sugar levels to put in my diary but I know I will get caught out when I next have to see her and she tests me herself, and that just wont do, because then I will feel even more of a baby when I get caught out. I would be so grateful for any help. Thankyou.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't test on my fingertips. I use the inside of my forearm, where there are fewer pain sensors. My meter booklet explains how to do this. Also I have set my stabber to 2, which is less deep.
Any help?
Hana

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hey there same here, I have a needle phobia and the first time I tried to do it I was in tears and shaking and it took me three hours to do the test.

I have got past it well virtually by knowing that if I dont test and understand what my bodys doing then its my fault and my fault alone. Also the not wanting to get any worse bit helps as well.

Before testing take several deep breaths, dont look at the stabber focus on a picture you have on the wall and think of something that gave you great pleasure. For me it was my recent holiday to Skye were I saw my puppy swam for the first time in the sea with me.
You'll still jump a mile , but you do tend to relax a little more

Lastly it will get better xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi buzzybee.
Welcome to the forum.

Hana and others do use what is called Alternative Site Testing (AST).

However, what you need to be aware of is that because it uses a different area the readings are not as accurate in responding quickly to changes in your Blood glucose levels. That is why the finger prick is the recommended method used by all professionals and the best one to use. You should also discuss this with your HCP before starting to use the AST method.

It may help you overcome the fear if you discuss it with your Nurse openly and get her to sit with you while you try a few finger pricks ? Sharing the experience can often help as you get support at the same time ?

Spiral

About the most painful place to test is on the pads at the tips of your fingers. Use the sides of your fingers - I have also found that I can test on the area below the bed of my nails.

You might find it helpful to adopt a few techniques that help bloodflow so that you can put the lancet on the lowest level while still getting enoughto make the test effective.
:idea: Wash your hands in warm water just before testing.
:idea: Let your arms hang by your side.
:idea: Massage your test site before you push the button.

Also, try different finger pricking devices. Some may be quieter than others or more comfortalbe to use. I ranf a few customer service departments and blagged a few freebies. If your nurse is supporting you testing she may be able to let you try a few.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ken
AST is fine for someone not using insulin and not needing to track rapid changes in BG. I only test 2x per day and so fast changes don't come in to it. The lag time isn't great anyway. I shall have to investigate mine some day I feel willing to "waste" a strip.
Hana
PS the lag time can be reduced by rubbing the test area to increase the blood flow.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hana.

No it isn't fine.

I don't use Insulin and I have changes in my Bg levels which need tracking. My Bg levels sometimes drop rapidly and I need an accurate reading, not something that is behind what I actually am.
This is a new poster who needs to know the correct way, which is what I posted about.

As I stated there are others who use AST and that is up to them. I am not saying it should never be used. It MUST be discussed with the HCP team before use.

Some meters offer alternate site testing, which allows a consumer to test on sites other than the fingertips, which can become sore and callused over time. However, alternate site testing is not as accurate as finger pricks. If your reading is low from an alternate test site (i.e., forearm), or you feel like you may be low, you still have to repeat the test on a fingertip. (I personally find finger sticks not only more accurate, but also less painful when done properly. )

The main drawback of alternative site testing is that they are not consistently reliable. A person may test higher on the forearm than if they had tested on their fingers. This can be a real problem if a person (especially child) is already on the low side.

This a direct quote from the Accu-Chek instructions regarding AST.
DO NOT TEST from an alternative site:
2 hrs or less after eating
After exercising
If you are sick
If you think your Blood glucose is low
If you often don't notice when your blood glucose is low
When basal insulin is most active
After injecting rapid acting insulin (2 hrs or less)

There are also other sites which give the same advice, and more importantly if about to drive there can be a lag of up to half an hour to get an accurate reading ! Not advisable. I don't want to rely on that reading !

A newbie doesn't need to be any more confused than they already are. :?

IanS

buzzybeelaine said:
... Only thing is she has told me I have to do my blood sugars twice a day, every other day, and there lies the problem. I feel sick, shaky, panicky etc etc when I have to do it and so far I have only managed to do this a couple of times and I dont know how to pluck up the courage to push that button and get it over and done with.

I know many people who have a fear of needles, and I'm not over keen on them myself. The thing to remember is that the lancets used with you blood testing system are extremely sharp. This means that they enter the skin with very little effort, so little in fact that if you pick the right testing site the nerves don't notice. Properly set the lancet just penetrates the skin without penetrating into the flesh. I have only been testing for a little over 3 weeks (having recently been diagnosed) but it hasn't taken me long to find sites on my fingers that have minimal pain to the pin prick. Indeed, the sites that I now use have so little reception that at first, I though the pricker device was faulty as it hadn't pricked at all - until I saw the little drop of blood.

The best sies I have found are the sides of the tips of the fingers, not too close to the nail. The sides of the little and ring fingers pointing away from the thumb seem to work best as I feel nothing at all - but you may vary. The first and second fingers give a short dull stab - not anything to bother me. If only a tiny drop appears, give it a few seconds before having another stab, as it sometimes takes a moment to flow.

If you still have qualms, and if you have a spouse or partner, show them how the pricker works and get them to press the button.

Hope that helps and good luck.

John J

Please excuse me for intruding here but I was interested in this discussion.

I am a musician, albeit of the amateur variety, and depend on my finger tips for holding down strings with my left hand and..sometimes..fingerpicking with my right.. when I play guitar(I also have a fiddle , mandolin, and other instruments). Obviously, I've already developed callouses on my left hand but would this make a difference.

Sorry, if this sounds very trivial in the great scheme of things but I'd obviously be interested in trying alternative testing sites. Would the toes be another possibilty(May not be practical for office workers :) but I'm retired and would have more opportunity to do this in private)?

Thanks meantime...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi John.

Little confused here. :?

It is not your 'finger tips' (the pad) that you should be pricking, but the SIDES of the finger tips - never the pad part, that can be painful and as you say not good if you are a guitar player or similar.

I have a cousin who plays the guitar and tests frequently. He has no problems at all because he tests in the way I have described.

If, BTW you do try AST it must be discussed with your HCP's first. It is not as accurate and also there are only certain areas which should be used. There is also the time lag (up to 30 minutes or so - not good if you are about to drive) compared to a proper fp reading if you need to know exactly what is going on ?

Haven't heard of toes being used.....?

John J

Hi Cugila,

Sorry. I'm new to this. The sides of the fingers seem a much more sensible option.

Thanks for that.

IanS

John J said:
I am a musician, albeit of the amateur variety, and depend on my finger tips for holding down strings with my left hand and..sometimes..fingerpicking with my right...

Others experience may vary, but the finger prick is just through the skin. Once the test is done, the blood flow stops within a minute or so and there is no evidence that a test has been carried out. There isn't even a pain site so unless I know exactly which bit I pricked, I am not able to find it again. Having found a couple of fingers which seem to have no sensation at all when pricked, I have tended to stick to them. Again there is no evidence that I use these fingers more than any other. My Diabetic Nurse was quite adamant that I would be able to play the violin without any trouble despite testing on my fingers. This was all the more amazing because I couldn't play the violin before I saw her. :lol:

From other responses, it seems my last post may have been ambiguous. I prick the sides of the fingers, not on the pad.

Kimijj

Morning! I was tested positive for gestational diabetes last week, picked my metre up yesterday and it took me 8 hours yo do it!‍♀️ I'm now sitting in my living room and again another 4 hours have passed and I can't bring myself to do it! ‍♀️ It's stressing me out do much!
I hope you've managed to get further than me!
Xx

D

Deleted member 308541

Must be a record! I
Very old threads should be greyed out or something as a warning.
That's right.

The couple of forums that I am a member of, close the threads for further posting after two years. It's done automatically in the admin control panel, by putting a ✓ in the check box.

Artur77

Take a deep breath when I pierce the skin. This serves as a distracting maneuver, for which the injection goes less unnoticed. But every time for me it is stress ...

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Rack up a complication or two. Amazing how quickly the fear disappears.