3 days in

Andykopgod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi im andy , 46, collapsed and diagnosed with type 2 , 3 days ago, im on gliclacide for 7 days then going to metformin. My bloods are between 12 and 18 at the moment, feel quite dizzy, spacy, heavy arms. Im a bit scared but im gonna hit this head on. Doctor said its my weight, 18stone . Any tips for diet, managing bloods, most welcome. No more chip buttys and pizzas for me, fizzy drinks was my downfall. Cheers guy
20200505_132730.jpg

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. Just off to bed so will be very brief but wanted to give you something to mull over in the meantime.
Take a read of these links. Cut out carbs as well as sugar is the gist of it.
It’s a shock but we can help you on on top of this lose weight and be healthier. Don’t panic. Blood glucose dropping quickly can feel a bit odd as you get used to it.
Oh and let us know what your hb1ac was if you know/can find out. Did they give you a meter? Definitely check when you feel odd as well as before and 2 hrs after each meal.

Reactions: Andykopgod

Andykopgod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome. Just off to bed so will be very brief but wanted to give you something to mull over in the meantime.
Take a read of these links. Cut out carbs as well as sugar is the gist of it.
It’s a shock but we can help you on on top of this lose weight and be healthier. Don’t panic. Blood glucose dropping quickly can feel a bit odd as you get used to it.
Oh and let us know what your hb1ac was if you know/can find out. Did they give you a meter? Definitely check when you feel odd as well as before and 2 hrs after each meal.
Much obliged. Il check out my hb thingy, doctor is ringing me tomoz. Thanks

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Get rid of (say) 20 kilos and with your summer coming, a perfect time to work on it. Lots of fish, chicken, meats, eggs, bacon, mushrooms and high fats. NO sugars at all. NO pastas. NO breads. That's the quick "dummies" guide. Good luck :)

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...and NO white rice and NO potatoes at all.
Mashed celeriac and mashed cauliflower are good substitutes for these.
You may then need to top up your Potassium and Magnesium. Baby Spinach, avocados, broccoli are good for this. Vitamin D3 is important too.

You can do it!

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi im andy , 46, collapsed and diagnosed with type 2 , 3 days ago, im on gliclacide for 7 days then going to metformin. My bloods are between 12 and 18 at the moment, feel quite dizzy, spacy, heavy arms. Im a bit scared but im gonna hit this head on. Doctor said its my weight, 18stone . Any tips for diet, managing bloods, most welcome. No more chip buttys and pizzas for me, fizzy drinks was my downfall. Cheers guy View attachment 41256
Hey @Andykopgod , and welcome. HSSS already shared the Nutritional Thingy, so I'm hoping that'll clear things up a little. Though just in case you're on the app and can't see the signature with the link, https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Hope your call with the doc goes well. You have options, just have to learn about them right quick. ;) Your HbA1c is important, and yeah, you really, really want a meter to check on any progress/pitfalls. If you have questions that aren't answered in the links we provided, throw them out there. Who knows, we might be able to help.

Good luck!
Jo
PS: Save up money. You're going to be shopping for a whole new wardrobe soon, as your pants'll start dropping in the near future. :)

Reactions: Buzzer81

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pizza is not off the menu. Look up fat head dough. There are loads of goodies you can have on low carb.

Jen6

Exercise is important I walk every evening after tea good for losing weight. When we are set free see if in your area there is a keep fit class the one I attend does chair work as well as standing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are taking Gliclazide then you must not do low carb - it says so on the information leaflet - but there is no reason not to reduce carbs. You should have been prescribed a meter and test strips as Gliclazide can cause hypos - but you might be off it by the time they can organize it.
Low carb can sort out type two, so if you are an ordinary uninteresting type of diabetic then reducing the intake of carbs will most likely sort you out in short order - though you might feel a bit wobbly as your blood glucose levels drop - its the brain having a bit of a tantrum as the nice sugary bath fades away. Your eyesight might be a bit blurry - that is the change in sugar levels too, but it is most likely a temporary thing - if you need glasses try a pair of cheap readers rather than expensive prescription ones, as they will be no use in a little while as things settle down.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry in my sleepy haze I missed the actual links I meant to attach.

Intro to T2 and low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
All the things I wish I’d been told earlier https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

don’t go crazy with low carb whilst on the gliclazide, use this week to do the readings so you know where you’re heading and just cut some of the most obvious sugary stuff out this week as step 1. Next week once you have plenty of knowledge you can go for it without the glic getting in the way. Ask questions As much as you need and be amazed at how much healthier you’ll end up.

Buzzer81

Welcome mate! Hope you’re feeling ok. I’m about 12 weeks in since diagnosis. Been a rocky ride so far but my highlights.....

Lost a good 12/13kgs and counting.

Diet has been very easy - so much great stuff you can eat!

Test, test and test again - test blood sugar before a meal and two hours after to see the rise. Keep it below 2mmol.

Read The Diabetes Code by Dr Fung

I went fully low carb but it was too much so I raised carbs sensibly and feel like I’m getting hand of it all now.

Let us know your hba1c when you have it. I was 91 and hoping next check will
Be much lower

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You can do low carb whilst on Gliclazide BUT it depends on the dose and whether you test with a meter. So do get a meter and just be careful. With your high weight it may be the Gliclazide won't do much due to insulin resistance. Moving to Metformin makes sense and then you can do very low carb if you want.

Reactions: HSSS