Concealing Cannula Tube

matthewbuil

First diagnosed with Type 1 nineteen years ago, I have been living with diabetes for as long as I can remember, transitioning from the traditional pen injection to a pump at around the age of 15. Now as a 22 year old male who is quite image conscious and enjoys an active social life it has become of high importance to myself to conceal/hide my cannula tube. Not only to avoid the inevitable, in some circumstances embarrassing, "What's that thing!?" being screeched by those who lack knowledge of the condition but for my own safety and security of avoiding it being ripped from my skin (usually happens at gigs in an energetic crowd). Since I started wearing the pump I have always kept my pump in either of my front trouser pockets, using the longest length cannula tube tucking it under my belt up to my stomach where I always place my cannula. However as mentioned this isn't always an effective method, especially when wearing a tucked shirt. After years of battling the issue I recently came to the conclusion that by piercing a small hole in the upper-most part of my trouser pocket I could feed the cannula tube through, under my waistband up to the cannula site without it being at all exposed outside of my clothing.

So my question is: Does anyone else have any other techniques for hiding and concealing the cannula tube? (Without having to alter/modify clothing)...

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wear a Hid-In strap round my torso with my pump in, then the tube runs to my stomach so unless I lift my shirt no one would know it’s there. I’m female so have the advantage that there’s already a bra strap running round my middle, the pump strap just sits on top of that.

Do you need to be able to access the pump itself or do you have a remote?

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Am female and use a pump belt on the shortest cannula length and tuck any spare into the belt, it sits either below my waist band or above depending on what I’m wearing but the pump lies side on, I tend to wear jeans and it sits quite well hidden there.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a type 1 Swede who has a small company called AnnaPS, she makes vests and underwear with hidden pockets for pump users, it’s expensive but good quality and last for ages. I'm an Omnipod user so don't need them for tubing but many do, I use them for sport mostly to have easy accessibility to my PDM and Libre kit when cycling, running or tennis. Might be worth a look.

matthewbuil

There is a type 1 Swede who has a small company called AnnaPS, she makes vests and underwear with hidden pockets for pump users, it’s expensive but good quality and last for ages. I'm an Omnipod user so don't need them for tubing but many do, I use them for sport mostly to have easy accessibility to my PDM and Libre kit when cycling, running or tennis. Might be worth a look.
Awesome, just had a look and will probably give it a try. Cheers for the recommendation!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awesome, just had a look and will probably give it a try. Cheers for the recommendation!
I obviously really like the kit and you prompted me to have another look so have now ordered a lot sleeved, reduced T shirt from the Outlet part of AnnaPS, should be on commission! The stuff is good though, I use them all the time mostly for sport over the last year, they wash & wear well. Do let me know how you get on if you get anything, I'd be interested if you can be bothered.