Different reaction to the same foods

Beansprout

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Is it normal to have a different reaction to the same foods on different days? Or (as is often the case) am I crazy. :)

The differences don't seem huge and could be sensor related. However, I ate a vegetable curry on two consecutive days. BS rise day 1 was about 1.5 and on day 2 was 2.6. I found the same thing with corn tortillas where day 1 barely saw any rise at all <1 (evening meal with beans) and day 2 saw a rise of just over 2 (morning meal with fake meat) Writing that, I seems obvious that it's probably what I ate the tortillas with that matters. :)

However, does time of day matter? Can things vary across days? High stress, lack of sleep - what factors matter. :)

Thanks.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Is it normal to have a different reaction to the same foods on different days? Or (as is often the case) am I crazy. :)

The differences don't seem huge and could be sensor related. However, I ate a vegetable curry on two consecutive days. BS rise day 1 was about 1.5 and on day 2 was 2.6. I found the same thing with corn tortillas where day 1 barely saw any rise at all <1 (evening meal with beans) and day 2 saw a rise of just over 2 (morning meal with fake meat) Writing that, I seems obvious that it's probably what I ate the tortillas with that matters. :)

However, does time of day matter? Can things vary across days? High stress, lack of sleep - what factors matter. :)

Thanks.

Hi @Beansprout ,

Your profile suggests your are insulin dependant. Could you confirm? What are you prescribed.? (If any?)
There can be a fair few "variables" with injecting insulin. Dosage timing of a bolus. Or basal action. Maybe your own insulin sensitivity on any given day regarding the temperature?

Beansprout

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jaylee Hey, thanks for the response. No, I'm not on insulin. I'm type 2 on Metformin (1000mg/2xday). I'll have to check my profile, maybe I missed something.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee Hey, thanks for the response. No, I'm not on insulin. I'm type 2 on Metformin (1000mg/2xday). I'll have to check my profile, maybe I missed something.

Hi, you are down as insulin dependant lol, trust me I could give you a screen shot? But may disrupt your topic.
It's great you use a BG meter.
What are your BG numbers prior to a meal & around 2 hours later? Others on metformin can help.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s a forum glitch. Two options look the same one appears as insulin dependent one doesn’t. Try the other.
Lots of us find mornings less insulin sensitive than later in the day. Fats (in real meat) slow down glucose absorption. Exercise sleep illness all affect it too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There’s a forum glitch. Two options look the same one appears as insulin dependent one doesn’t. Try the other.

I would concur. The second lower option on the drop down menu regarding T2 (from memory.) should remove the insulin dependancy? :)

Edit to add, @Beansprout has also opted from previous posts a vegetarian diet option.?

Last edited:

Beansprout

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The second lower option on the drop down menu regarding T2 (from memory.) should remove the insulin dependancy?

Okay, I updated to the second Type 2 in the drop-down. Did that fix it?

Also, yes, veggie. The bg sensor is making me very aware of the affect of the things I eat. However, I was surprised to get a different level from the same pot of curry! I've been under a bit of stress and have noticed that my levels are up a bit from the previous week (I don't have a long history to draw on here). The metformin also makes it hard to sleep if I take it after say 6pm, so I do a lot of short nights sleep wise. It's hard to know what's related and what's not.

Appreciate the help.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, I updated to the second Type 2 in the drop-down. Did that fix it?

Also, yes, veggie. The bg sensor is making me very aware of the affect of the things I eat. However, I was surprised to get a different level from the same pot of curry! I've been under a bit of stress and have noticed that my levels are up a bit from the previous week (I don't have a long history to draw on here). The metformin also makes it hard to sleep if I take it after say 6pm, so I do a lot of short nights sleep wise. It's hard to know what's related and what's not.

Appreciate the help.
Sleeplessness/waking often raises blood glucose, as does stress. What you had with the tortilla's can make a difference (if there's more fats one day than on the other, as they mediate the spike some), in the morning some people are more insulin-resistant, and you could've had a liver dump (dawn phenomenon) going on at breakfast. So, nope, not crazy. :)