Trouble with Lantus injection?

esdiener00

I've been having trouble with Lantus ever since I've used it (since Inwas first diagnosed I believe, almost 11 years!!) It's always been difficult to inject, I'll push down three or four clicks and then it's harder to push, almost like I'm trying to inject syrup through a tiny needle. It burns under my skin very easily too. And even when I hold the needle in about 10 seconds after it's finished, there's always a drop or two that leaks out. Sometimes it looks like it's leaked out of my skin, and other times it looks like the insulin didn't go in at all because the leakage is coming from the inside of the needle (BD Autoshield Duo single use ones). It's never caused me much trouble in regards to throwing off my glucose levels, but I'm just wondering if this happens to anyone else?? Thanks!!

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi esdiener, I was on Lantus for well over a decade, and had all sorts of problems with it. I don't think I'm the only one either. My problems were with blood sugar control though, not the act of injecting itself. If you're getting good results and it's just the act of administering the dose, could it be something to do with the pen you're using? I'm not sure about the burning under the skin, but that could suggest that your body isn't the biggest fan of the insulin.

In your shoes I'd have a word with my diabetes team or GP about alternatives – Levemir is another possibility, as is Tresiba (which I'm on). Alternatively you could ask them to prescribe you with a new pen for the Lantus and see if that helps.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @esdiener00
welcome to the forum !

perhaps a bigger needle might help -- they make 4mm , 5mm , 6mm and 8mm generally for insulin injecting
talk to your diabetic nurse as well -- perhaps you could switch to a different long acting insulin ( Levemir or Tresiba )

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience is that you don't get the burning sensation if you inject into an area with enough fat. I was once in agony for about 20 mins, clutching my leg until the burning wore off. This particular insulin is known to be acidic, which is the cause, the reason why I went back to it reluctantly.