Newly diagnosed type 1

Amandaowl

Hi

I as diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in February. I have been taking Novorapid and Ablasaglar insulin but since i started taking the insulin i have suffered with swollen/tender feet and ankles. I have spoken to the Doctor/Diabetes nurse and nobody seems concerned but i am the one who is struggling to walk as it is too painful. I just wondered if anyone else had this and if/how it cleared up ?
Any experience would be appreciated !

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I used Abasaglar before and had some problems with it, although different to yours.

Just had another look at the Patient Information Leaflet and I see it lists possible side effects similar to what you've described above.

upload_2020-5-14_14-20-22.png

But you are the first person that I've actually aware of suffering from this (if it's the same thing) so no idea what 'temporary' means - sorry. If you aren't getting much joy out of your doctor and diabetes nurse, maybe try to call Eli Lilly customer services.

We also have an information page relating to insulin and water retention which may be helpful.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/edema-and-diabetes.html

Be wary of steroids as a treatment for water retention because they raise glucose levels.

susanheardsue

Hi

I as diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in February. I have been taking Novorapid and Ablasaglar insulin but since i started taking the insulin i have suffered with swollen/tender feet and ankles. I have spoken to the Doctor/Diabetes nurse and nobody seems concerned but i am the one who is struggling to walk as it is too painful. I just wondered if anyone else had this and if/how it cleared up ?

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Some people can't tolerate artificial insulin . I can't tolerate the artificial one called " human" insulin , novorapid is an "analogue" artificial insulin which is i can tolerate , Ablasaglar is a "human" insulin so i could not tolerate that . when i say i cant tolerate it , it gave me muscle aches , made me very tired and lethargic

Originally i switched to pork insulin which solved the problem - this is available still whatever your diabetes team say - you may have to fight to get on it if you want to , it is your right to go on it if you wish to . there is a lot of information on iddt.org an organisation originally set up to make sure pork insulin was still kept available for the people who can't tolerate artificial insulin .

An alternative is to try and get Ablasaglar changed to an analogue insulin which may solve your problem , the one i am on is called Levemir although as I am on a pump i only take it if the pump fails . I am only on novorapid when the pump is working (I changed off the pork insulin after about 10 years as i was having trouble keeping my glucose levels stable enough ) . Hope this helps and good luck

Gabbie

Hi

Hi, I have been diagnosed a year now and what a year it's been! My ankles and feet started to swell.about 1 month after diagnosis, then my legs just started to feel sore. I eventually found out it was neurophaphy and was given gabapentin. It took a few months and it wasnt pleasant but it has almost gone fully now. I never post on here but when I read this I felt I wanted to say to you, hang on in there it does settle down. Xx

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
I've had swelling of my lower legs, but it appears to be due to using too strong a medicine for reducing my blood pressure - enough to nearly shut my kidneys down and let the water accumulate. It also made me fall down rather frequently, without getting dizzy first. Changing to a different medicine for lowering my blood pressure almost stopped these problems.

Amandaowl

Hi, I have been diagnosed a year now and what a year it's been! My ankles and feet started to swell.about 1 month after diagnosis, then my legs just started to feel sore. I eventually found out it was neurophaphy and was given gabapentin. It took a few months and it wasnt pleasant but it has almost gone fully now. I never post on here but when I read this I felt I wanted to say to you, hang on in there it does settle down. Xx
Thanks this gives me some hope :)