Hospital deaths

wythe74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It has been reported that there is a high percentage of hospital deaths at the moment of people with Diabetes. Are these Type 1 or Type 2. Is this information known?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been reported that there is a high percentage of hospital deaths at the moment of people with Diabetes. Are these Type 1 or Type 2. Is this information known?

No ... they are deaths of people allegedly with COVID 19 and diabetes.
I'd guess it's people with hyperglycemia as well as the other trifecta of co-morbidities like hypertension, CVD and obesity and age related too.
Obviously with the prevalence of T2 in the population over T1 then I'd guess at mostly T2's but the stats rarely seem to specify because we all have to be really frightened (that's the new mantra).

richie2468

No ... they are deaths of people allegedly with COVID 19 and diabetes.
I'd guess it's people with hyperglycemia as well as the other trifecta of co-morbidities like hypertension, CVD and obesity and age related too.
Obviously with the prevalence of T2 in the population over T1 then I'd guess at mostly T2's but the stats rarely seem to specify because we all have to be really frightened (that's the new mantra).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wythe - It is a hard fact that at any given time, 25% of hospitals beds will be occupied by people living with diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if that's the case do you thing t1 and t2 should be shielded

Depends if you have decent control .. if you do with no co-morbidities then you're probably less likely to die than the rest of the population... assuming you catch it .. which in itself appears to be fairly unlikely anyway.

Reactions: Jamie H

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 and T2 are completely different. It's like saying 25% of people with skin cancer or a limp are dying; it doesn't help either group.

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There was a similar report around a month ago from the US.......
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/202...ng-those-with-diabetes-and-hyperglycemia.html
Many of the deaths are from those that had uncontrolled diabetes or NO previous diagnosis of Diabetes which tends to be those with T2 (although the stats are not conclusive yet). Covid-19 seems to like a thicker blood to move around in.

With T1 blood sugars tend to be more controlled. However as with any illness, cold or flu many of us experience trouble with that control.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is in no way surprising that approx 25% of C-19 deaths are people with diabetes.
The majority of C-19 deaths are over 60yrs, and the % of the population with diabetes is around 25% at that age and above.

I would actually go so far as to say that this piece of information counts as ‘fake news’ and is only being spread by journalists who are too ignorant of the subject to make any sensible contribution to the debate.

https://diabetes-resources-producti...igration/pdf/DiabetesUK_Facts_Stats_Oct16.pdf

8C2A6909-92C1-49C1-9EAA-530B6D27F709.jpeg

edited to add:

the info I gave above is misleading.
For a better explanation of the stats please see this thread which explains the different risk factors to diabetics depending on glycaemic control as one factor
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/covid-coronavirus-and-diabetes-the-numbers.174274/

Last edited:

bmtest

We should be high on list to be shielded due to the fact once a diabetic gets a virus the is or can be a lag situation behind the effective control of blood sugars.

This can be the case if you want to eat and you are inactive as the report said the blood thickens with high blood sugar and difficult for any immune responsive action to reach target area quickly.

Therefore when time is of the essence for a immune response it is essential a diabetic puts 100% into control and stays well ahead of high blood sugars.

Over the years smell of the blood is a good indicator of how high your blood sugar reading is going to be.

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We should be high on list to be shielded due to the fact once a diabetic gets a virus the is or can be a lag situation behind the effective control of blood sugars.
What difference would being on a government list make? What is stopping you self isolating if you feel it is necessary?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What difference would being on a government list make? What is stopping you self isolating if you feel it is necessary?
Well then you probably can get priority for home deliveries (though I believe it is still very hit and miss anyways) and it means your employer must pay attention to it.

Edit: I'm pretty much staying away from everyone anyway - except for going to get click and collects from the supermarket and 10-15 mins walk each day (but staying away from people), but it also helps that the company I work for has made everyone work from home anyway (since March 12th ish), and has no intention of re-opening the offices yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK T1

bmtest

I will tell you what the difference being on a list makes the main one possibly life or death. I list a few more fir completness..

- if you are on the list it maybe some governing body have thought the acenario through.

- we are in low pay economy if self isolate every 2 minutes you will be low on cash. Most companies on the modern era do not pay sick pay.

- if you are in work at present and have been since start of lockdown the social distancing leaves a lot to be desired.

- So if where not on list how many Endocrinology experts will be on your Corvid Ward ready to advise on what to do and what the frequency of bed visits.

- In summary if a list has been drawn up and your on it there has been some planning much better than whoops its strange a quarter of deaths are diabetis only for some experts to say we have not smoothed the curve for seasonality.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It is in no way surprising that approx 25% of C-19 deaths are people with diabetes.
The majority of C-19 deaths are over 60yrs, and the % of the population with diabetes is around 25% at that age and above.

I would actually go so far as to say that this piece of information counts as ‘fake news’ and is only being spread by journalists who are too ignorant of the subject to make any sensible contribution to the debate.

https://diabetes-resources-producti...igration/pdf/DiabetesUK_Facts_Stats_Oct16.pdf

View attachment 41354

I find @Brunneria 's figures incredibly reassuring , as they show that the death rates for diabetics with covid are very similar to those of non diabetics with covid. At the moment, we just don't have the data to comment further.

Do I trust a hospital to look after my T1 insulin needs in hospital? ICU yes but maybe not a general ward if I am too sick to monitor my own dosing needs. That is one reason why I attempt to reduce my risk of catching COVID as much as possible (and I have a flu jab every year so as to avoid potential hospitalisation for flu).

But I appreciate that I am very lucky to be in the position where I can afford to self isolate.

Stay safe everyone.