Got Milk?

Diabetesdave1

Ok cheers I never really thought about that I just had americano in coffee shop. Tested sugar before 6.5mmol 1hour after 6.2 mmol but don’t know how accurate strips are .
I will carry out a few more tests ,thank you for answering my question

Reactions: DJC3

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@LittleGreyCat Do you have a recipe for coffee with butter? Or do you simply make the coffee then dollop a knob of butter in it and stir?

I make a cup of strong coffee about 2/3 full, add a big lump of butter (very heaped teaspoon?) and stir until the butter is dissolved. I then top up with double cream.

It is a matter of taste how much butter and how much cream you use.

I use salted butter with sea salt crystals because I like the salty taste.

Reactions: Diabetesdave1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you lot telling me that putting milk in coffee or tea is not good for diabetics ?. Iv only just managed to drink it without the sugar weaning myself off the last few weeks

Milk is not a good thing to drink in quantity as a drink, but a dash in a cup of tea or coffee is fine - about 2g carbs. I have continued to have a dash in my tea and I drink several cups a day. However, I put double cream in my coffee when I have a coffee. You may also like to know that caffeine can raise blood sugar levels in some cases. It causes an adrenaline rush, and adrenalin causes raised levels. Some people find it affects them quite a lot. Others don't. I drink decaff tea and coffee due to avoiding a high pulse rate.

Viv19

It is counter intuitive but skimmed milk is the least healthy for T2 diabetics.
Once you take all the fat out then you are left with mainly lactose. The "ose" is a clue that this is a sugar.
If you look at the nutritional information on milk products you will realise that double cream (and full fat yoghurt) have the least carbohydrates per 100 grams compared to the low fat and fat free options.
If you are trying to eat less carbohydrate and more fat then double cream is a big winner.

Coffee with butter and double cream is a breakfast all by itself.

Thanks I didn’t know that. I make my own yoghurt from semi skimmed lactose free milk and strain it to make it thicker - it looks as though I need to change that.
No double cream available here- only whipping cream, but I can buy LL lactose free whipping cream so I’ve started using that in my coffee.

Hotpepper20000

Thanks I didn’t know that. I make my own yoghurt from semi skimmed lactose free milk and strain it to make it thicker - it looks as though I need to change that.
No double cream available here- only whipping cream, but I can buy LL lactose free whipping cream so I’ve started using that in my coffee.
I make yogurt with whipping cream and it’s delicious.

Reactions: Viv19

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for double cream in coffee.
Tbh I'm a double cream addict! :dead: I'm often caught drinking it out the tub :D
To think I never touched the stuff before diagnoses. :***:

Last edited:

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
I was using double cream in my coffee and was going through a lot of coffee and double cream a week . My cholesterol went through the roof up to 8.6 so I stopped . Started using milk again and my fbg went back up to around 6.3 . Looks like o can’t win

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi everyone. Hope you are having a relaxing day. I love my coffee and am looking for both milk and sweetener substitute that won’t raise my blood sugar. Any recommendations?

Thank you and have an amazing rest of the day!
There is no true substitute for milk so I use milk.

Here are a few sweeteners you could use instead of sugar:

Acesulfame K - Artificial Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Advantame - Artificial Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Agave Syrup - Modified Sugar [GI = 15] [Cal = 10]
Aspartame - Artificial Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Aspartame-Acesulfame Salt - Artificial Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Cyclamate - Artificial Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Erythritol - Sugar Alcohol [GI = 1] [Cal = 1]
Glycerol (Glycerin) - Sugar Alcohol [GI = 3] [Cal = 40]
Inulin - Sugar Fiber [GI = 0] [Cal = 55]
Isomalt - Sugar Alcohol [GI = 2] [Cal = 17]
Lactitol - Sugar Alcohol [GI = 3] [Cal = 20]
Luo Han Guo (Monk Fruit) - Natural Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Maltitol - Sugar Alcohol [GI = 35] [Cal = 11]
Mannitol - Sugar Alcohol [GI = 2] [Cal = 13]
Neotame - Artificial Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Oligofructose - Sugar Fiber [GI = 0] [Cal = 15]
Saccharin, - Artificial Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Sorbitol - Sugar Alcohol [GI = 4] [Cal = 19]
Stevia - Natural Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Sucralose - Artificial Sweetener [GI = 0] [Cal = 0]
Tagatose - Modified Sugar [GI = 0] [Cal = 7]
Xylitol - Sugar Alcohol [GI = 12] [Cal = 10]
Yacon Syrup - Natural Sweetener [GI = 1] [Cal = 10]

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m normally a strong black coffee but a double cream now and again hits the spot , love double cream and butter in my mashed tatties too lol

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Agreed, food of the gods!
For public safety I make sure I have one cup a day black. If I don't have it my knuckles start draging on the ground and get a a little grumpy