Type 1 and Teacher

Smithsky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all. With the potential impending reopening of schools for some students I am querying where I stand. As a type 1 for 40 years i am unclear as to guidance in regards to me returning to school when it reopens. There is no pressure coming from my employer however any advice would be most welcome. Thank you Jon.
I heard some stats today that 25% of cases are diabetes related but not giving details of type 1 or 2 - type 1 is an autoimmune issue type 2 potentially but not always BMI. I would say more information is needed. You inject because your immune system is compromised.

Reactions: London36_

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My Head wrote to all staff asking whether anyone had problems working from June 1st. I said I had been advised to self-isolate since March (happened to be on the phone to pump clinic who told me this in March) but as you know, all sketchy since March. My Head said I must follow medical advice but is the advice in March the same as today? Why can’t there be more clarity? I don’t want to go back but it’s stressful having to worry about evidence and ‘asking’ not to go back. Will I now have a bad sick record? They need to have clear guidelines. If 26% of victims who have died had diabetes, what does this mean?! I’m healthy ish so not too worried about immediate problems but I do worry about T1 compromised immune system. I have auto-immune under-active thyroid and had very slight autoimmune Bell’s Palsy once which is also caused by a virus. What other autoimmune conditions might T1s get next following serious viral infections? Sorry for panic and rant. Just hope someone can answer x

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I also have type 1 and work with the younger children. Last night a colleague sent me the latest government guidelines for schools going back on 1st June. In it it clearly states that staff classed as clinically vulnerable (lists diabetes) should work from home if possible. If they cannot work from home then they could be asked to do another job in the school where they are able to social distance. Check out the gov guidelines..interesting read.
I rang my union to see what their opinion was and was told that the employer should be safeguarding our health and offering face masks etc (not sure that would work with 5yr olds, would probably frighten them). We all want to go back to work and have a bit of "normality" but we also have to consider our health.
I'm waiting to see what the unions have to say after their meeting with Chief Medical Officer and Scientific Officer today.
Screenshot_20200514-215743_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200514-185511_Chrome.jpg

TSP70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all. With the potential impending reopening of schools for some students I am querying where I stand. As a type 1 for 40 years i am unclear as to guidance in regards to me returning to school when it reopens. There is no pressure coming from my employer however any advice would be most welcome. Thank you Jon.

TSP70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Of course! Thank you!

Can’t find diabetes mentioned in the new guidance anywhere.
I have had a call from my work place primary school, they will ring for me when they need me. They are unable to provide the social distance that I need as per the gov education guidelines. Go to gov.uk and search education covid 19 new reports 14th may.

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter reports to and advises the govenors of 2 schools -
Earlier this morning she sent me the information below

Having read the guidance and sat through briefings from my headteacher and read the briefing from our Trust CEO this is my understanding.

Only if you have a health condition that the Government considers serious should you shield (these people will have received a letter from the NHS) and not go to work. Everyone else is required to work. There is an exception if you are a parent of a child under the age of 14 who has a serious health condition then you can stay at home to look after them. Our Local Authority have advised that the risk is so low that there is not even a need to wear any PPE or even a home-made face mask! I would advise this teacher to get in touch with his union as they are taking action and trying to persuade the government that their plans are not viable. The advice from just about all of the unions is not to engage in any plans for re-opening.

Hope this helps.

Having just caught a little of the news - I think it is still all up in the air and may all change again
Paul T1 for 60+years

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone else is required to work.

Which just goes to show how it's being interpreted very differently depending on who is 'advising'. The 'everyone else is required to work' statement is bizarre when the govt advice says;

8. Clinically vulnerable people
If you have any of the following health conditions, you are clinically vulnerable, meaning you are at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus. You are advised to stay at home as much as possible and, if you do go out, take particular care to minimise contact with others outside your household.

I guess it's a matter of yes, you CAN work and you should but your Employers should be assisting you in working from home if possible rather than that they can't be bothered (if they are taking note of the govt advice) so that you actually CAN 'stay at home as much as possible', or if you do have to go into work then your Employer should put in place actions to allow you to 'minimise contact with others outside your household'.

I think it's the word 'required' that seems odd, nothing on the govt website says that as it suggests it's 'back you go no matter what' whereas if your trust CEO (who I imagine wants everyone back in the office??) was to use the word 'should' then it would mean they could at least risk assess rather than use a blanket policy. Thanks for posting. x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’m an ex teacher (FE) and one of my daughters is a teacher, currently with children of key workers. I feel very strongly that teachers should not be asked to take risks as part of the strategy to get the country back to work.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep meaning to post but haven't had chance to look up the papers to link them in. I had my routine annual clinic with my consultant via phone. It was very interesting, as he mentioned a few recently published studies. Essentially it seems that cases are not being reported in enough detail (as to what type of diabetes the patient has/had) and simply saying diabetes. We also don't know how much control comes into it and can only assume. I assume this is in the anonymised data being passed to research teams, not patient notes. Numerous studies are trying to identify risk for T1 in particular.

He was very clear, he congratulated me for my control, but said that shouldn't make me complacent. He said the research to date states that a diabetic is between 20-60% more likely to contract covid-19 and be admitted and experience complications, compared to a non-diabetic of the same age. I am not sure whether these factors can be pulled apart or not, and will post the papers he mentioned when I've had chance to look them up, sorry.

He also told me that while the government advice says to follow social distancing, the sensible thing would be to effectively shield as much as possible. He did not think I should go into work, and advised me to talk to my line manager, offering to perhaps perform other duties which were not previously part of my role but would be possible from home, if my previous role was not possible from home. He said to get back to him if they refused.

I'll admit I was quite shocked at how plainly he was talking, he said the fact that I've got good control is a bonus, but doesn't seem to change the risk. He suggested at the very least they should be putting my name at the very bottom of the rota, but also justify why my role cannot be undertaken from home. You should also request a risk assessment for working in school.

I'm making it clear I still want to work, but agree with the union stances, that current proposed guidelines don't safeguard the wellbeing of clinically vulnerable staff or pupils. I'd prefer to be fit to work from home and be useful than spend a little time in work but then be off sick for at least 2 weeks...

He also said the guidelines about shielding letters have been interpreted in very different ways from different GP practices. If you haven't had a letter but believe you maybe should have, or are being pressurised to going to work and don't feel safe, it is worth contacting your diabetes team or GP. He said lots of GPs are giving letters to those who have multiple conditions plus at least one from the 'clinically vulnerable list'. Sorry for the long post!

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I keep meaning to post but haven't had chance to look up the papers to link them in. I had my routine annual clinic with my consultant via phone. It was very interesting, as he mentioned a few recently published studies. Essentially it seems that cases are not being reported in enough detail (as to what type of diabetes the patient has/had) and simply saying diabetes. We also don't know how much control comes into it and can only assume. I assume this is in the anonymised data being passed to research teams, not patient notes. Numerous studies are trying to identify risk for T1 in particular.

He was very clear, he congratulated me for my control, but said that shouldn't make me complacent. He said the research to date states that a diabetic is between 20-60% more likely to contract covid-19 and be admitted and experience complications, compared to a non-diabetic of the same age. I am not sure whether these factors can be pulled apart or not, and will post the papers he mentioned when I've had chance to look them up, sorry.

He also told me that while the government advice says to follow social distancing, the sensible thing would be to effectively shield as much as possible. He did not think I should go into work, and advised me to talk to my line manager, offering to perhaps perform other duties which were not previously part of my role but would be possible from home, if my previous role was not possible from home. He said to get back to him if they refused.

I'll admit I was quite shocked at how plainly he was talking, he said the fact that I've got good control is a bonus, but doesn't seem to change the risk. He suggested at the very least they should be putting my name at the very bottom of the rota, but also justify why my role cannot be undertaken from home. You should also request a risk assessment for working in school.

I'm making it clear I still want to work, but agree with the union stances, that current proposed guidelines don't safeguard the wellbeing of clinically vulnerable staff or pupils. I'd prefer to be fit to work from home and be useful than spend a little time in work but then be off sick for at least 2 weeks...

He also said the guidelines about shielding letters have been interpreted in very different ways from different GP practices. If you haven't had a letter but believe you maybe should have, or are being pressurised to going to work and don't feel safe, it is worth contacting your diabetes team or GP. He said lots of GPs are giving letters to those who have multiple conditions plus at least one from the 'clinically vulnerable list'. Sorry for the long post!

Helpful thank you, especially as advice from doctor and not government.

Reactions: UK T1

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been told today that my school will not open on June 1st. I’m very relieved. There are 1400 students, logistically it’s be impossible. I’ve not had a letter but been told having coeliac disease and being type 1 makes me vulnerable. I’ve looked at the woolly advice from the government. I rang my DSN who said that a doctor and some nurses at the hospital are diabetic and working, so how am I different? I’ve since read that a quarter of underlying conditions causing death are diabetes. So yes, I’m very glad today not to have to raise my head above the parapet at work and say I’m worried. We are all staying away together. Good luck everyone. Remember Eton, Harrow and Winchester don’t return until September x

Reactions: UK T1 and London36_
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I’ve been told today that my school will not open on June 1st. I’m very relieved. There are 1400 students, logistically it’s be impossible. I’ve not had a letter but been told having coeliac disease and being type 1 makes me vulnerable. I’ve looked at the woolly advice from the government. I rang my DSN who said that a doctor and some nurses at the hospital are diabetic and working, so how am I different? I’ve since read that a quarter of underlying conditions causing death are diabetes. So yes, I’m very glad today not to have to raise my head above the parapet at work and say I’m worried. We are all staying away together. Good luck everyone. Remember Eton, Harrow and Winchester don’t return until September x

I haven't heard anything from my county council regarding going back to work. I travel in a small vehicle with children to a special needs school, so I am in very close contact with them. It's a waiting game at the moment.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm a type 1 teacher at an Independent school which won't be returning until September. Even then, I'm not prepared to go back, with the number of reported new cases a night so high. It's interesting, even today in the media, the constant mention of Australia's National Centre for Immunisation Research study, where there are almost single-digit new cases a day, and the schools have wide open space for social distancing. And studies of current open European schools, with photographs the teachers and students, dressed PPE and socially distant. We're a long way off being able to replicate these conditions, which would be necessary to achieve their safe results.

I didn't consider myself vulnerable as I have good blood sugar control. However, since my diagnosis, I've had an abnormally low (well below the lab normal range), unexplained levels of t-cells (lymphocytes.) New studies suggest low t-cells may be the main indicator of whether you end up with severe Covid-19 or not. I am vulnerable.
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/resea...rs-clues-about-why-roche-s-actemra-might-work

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 teacher at an Independent school which won't be returning until September. Even then, I'm not prepared to go back, with the number of reported new cases a night so high. It's interesting, even today in the media, the constant mention of Australia's National Centre for Immunisation Research study, where there are almost single-digit new cases a day, and the schools have wide open space for social distancing. And studies of current open European schools, with photographs the teachers and students, dressed PPE and socially distant. We're a long way off being able to replicate these conditions, which would be necessary to achieve their safe results.

I didn't consider myself vulnerable as I have good blood sugar control. However, since my diagnosis, I've had an abnormally low (well below the lab normal range), unexplained levels of t-cells (lymphocytes.) New studies suggest low t-cells may be the main indicator of whether you end up with severe Covid-19 or not. I am vulnerable.
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/resea...rs-clues-about-why-roche-s-actemra-might-work

All the best to you. This is interesting and something that should be researched.Thank you for sharing x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Your DSN actually said 'so how are you different'?, that would have enraged me. Professionals are fully aware that just because someone shares a condition with another does not make them 'the same' in any way, shape or form. Different sex, different age, different lifestyle, different stresses, different bodies, different attitudes and on and on. Disgusting. x

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just to say I also contacted my GP, said I have type 1 and am a teacher making social distancing difficult in my work setting, and wondering whether I should expect a shielding letter given the new research this week showing type 1s are at higher risk. I got a call back from my GP saying that was entirely appropriate and that I should get the letter within a week. I have no other conditions and according to my consultant 'very good control'.

If you haven't already asked your GP and are concerned, I'd send them a quick email.