Covid 19 and golf

ianstead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 72 years old and have had type one diabetes for about 12 years. Under the new lockdown rules I have begun to play golf adhering to the social distancing rule. I was concerned to read this morning that one in four covid deaths were diabetics and we were not put into the shielded group. What do people think about going out to do this?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Is it safe to play golf

It can be as it's easy to social distance yourself - best contact your golf course to see what they're policy is in regards to this, I am sure the club house will be closed but playing on the course is fine. In regards to the news on 1 in 4 deaths if you read more into the story it is connected to type 2 and hyperglycemia, these headlines are really unhelpful and only serve to scare monger and create fear.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The new directions on the GOV.uk website are clear, and the social distancing FAQs give more info.

In England, it is now OK to meet 1 person who is not of your household outside, so long as you maintain the 2m social distancing rule. Presumably that is fairly easy to achieve with things like singles tennis and golf, if you play with just one other person.

Enjoy your games! :D

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't get hit on't head with the ball would be my advice. :p

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our course is open... guidelines are nothing larger than a 2 ball, standard social distancing, club house closed and a temporary starter desk to manage start times. No rakes in the bunker and the hole cups raised to allow ball retrieving without touching the flagstick.

I reckon it'll be safer than going to Asda, where the majority of shoppers seem to follow social distancing as far as the front door and then can't even follow a set of arrows on the floor guiding you up and down the aisles...

Reactions: mooshk

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 72 years old and have had type one diabetes for about 12 years. Under the new lockdown rules I have begun to play golf adhering to the social distancing rule. I was concerned to read this morning that one in four covid deaths were diabetics and we were not put into the shielded group. What do people think about going out to do this?
Most of the dead are over 70 and the percentage of the over 70's with diabetes is probably more than 1 in 4. That doesn't mean diabetes necessarily contributed to their death.
ETA: The sunshine and fresh air are probably helping your immunity.