Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Nursing homes, another 10% of them all on their own. I can see a return (welcomed) by Australia for selected immigration to the convict colony circa the 1950s. :)

Fizzy1408

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I heard in a news report today that 26% of people who died of coronovirus were diabetic. That worries me. Has anyone else heard this?[/

I’ve heard that people with diabetes are at a higher risk of getting coronavirus than this, yet the Government are not registering us on the vulnerable list. Obviously, there are people who have a lot more risk than people with diabetes, people having chemo or on other medication that suppresses the immune system.

I have 2 autoimmune diseases and have other health issues too and I would have thought the more problems you have, the more at risk you are, yet also not on this list. My husband takes medication that suppresses his immune system and he’s not been included on the list, surprisingly- yet we both got swine flu a number of years ago (before the vaccines were produced). All we can do is take precautions, I guess, and hope for the best.

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is why i have so much anxiety like some of my previous posts i have done, i have to work no choice working from home, impossible social distancing, but if this was true surely we would be in the 12 week isolation im not my gp told me to stringent social distance cant be done im in a emergency control room with lots of people and a few tested postive for covid im in fear everyday i really dont think some of us who are diabetic are protected, i sometimes think when your type 2 it does not matter if you pass as its your own fault, sorry but thats how seriously i see it being taken. sounds dramatic i know but cant help it

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why i have so much anxiety like some of my previous posts i have done, i have to work no choice working from home, impossible social distancing, but if this was true surely we would be in the 12 week isolation im not my gp told me to stringent social distance cant be done im in a emergency control room with lots of people and a few tested postive for covid im in fear everyday i really dont think some of us who are diabetic are protected, i sometimes think when your type 2 it does not matter if you pass as its your own fault, sorry but thats how seriously i see it being taken. sounds dramatic i know but cant help it
Irrespective of diabetes, employers are supposed to provide social distancing or PPE. Do you belong to a union, has there been a risk assessment?

Russell52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ed-in-uk-hospitals-with-covid-19-had-diabetes

Scary figures, but you have to remember that among the very elderly, arguably the single largest at risk group, particularly those in care homes, the incidence of diabetes is very high (found a 2010 report saying 27% in care homes are diabetic?)

The incidence of diabetes in the US is mind boggling (10% diabetic another 25% prediabetic) so I'm not surprised that a high proportion of their COVID fatalities have diabetes.

Have you got a link for this? 29% of diabetics who catch COVID dying is a dramatically worse outcome than 29% of COVID deaths being diabetic.... (And would push their overall COVID death rate to 3 or 4% or more just on the bases of the prevalence of diabetes in their population...)
Sorry for delay in replying. I may have badly phrased this. It’s an American study looking at hospitalised diabetics with Covid. It said 40 percent with undiagnosed diabetes reducing to 29 per cent for known diabetics but that did not differentiate between people with good control who should get a better outcome. Posts after mine indicate that there is an increased risk but not this high for well controlled diabetics

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Irrespective of diabetes, employers are supposed to provide social distancing or PPE. Do you belong to a union, has there been a risk assessment?
Yes awaiting the reply got a phone call last week said i was moderate risk but still waiting to hear about it now, markers for social distance are down but awkward to follow due to line of work,sadly

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Type 2 and my bm is swinging from 24.8 to 21.4 I have Covid 19
Are you under medical care for covid? How do you control bgl normally? Are you eating low carb? On medication?

Covid seems to highjack glucose causing skyrocketing levels. Having previously well controlled levels helps But isn’t a guarantee. Anything you can do now to keep them down and keep awareness of dka and monitoring ketones seems highly prudent (Even though normally infrequent in type 2 it seems more common with covid).

At those levels, with covid, I’d be seeking medical assistance and guidance just in case

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Given the %age (10% i think) of over 50's in the UK with Diabetes (and possibly other medical conditions) it is not surprising that it is a high figure; the key information seems to be that well controlled diabetes does NOT require shielding or other such measures. Surely we know that as with other illnesses & conditions any virus/bacterial infection etc is going to find easy targets. If we want to protect ourselves then we need to take good care of ourselves FIRST then trust the system to support us in our efforts.

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I saw type 2 was more susceptible. Its frightened me. Do any of you have any other underlying illnesses? I've gone from insulin dependant to tablets.

I also have PMR and take steroids which weaken the immune system. My type 2 is controlled by diet and I have a hba1c of 35. Hopefully I will not catch it