Anyone With Type 1 And No Complications

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After I danced (gave up at 27 because I married and was working in the Italian Operetta Company in Italy) I worked in advertising for 10 years and was a top revenue producer (with only the odd day off for sickness). Had 2 children, mid to late thirties who were normal weights (7 lbs & 6 lbs 6ozs respectively---probably underweight these days....so many 9lb ers plus)!!!. Stayed at home with the children till they were both at secondary school. Studied for a degree & graduated at 50 (dance degree---lots of exercise again). Accepted at The Royal Academy of Dance, London for postgraduate teacher qualifications then worked as a secondary school teacher (& worked on Queen Mary 2 & Brittania organising & delivering youth activities in school holidays) until I retired March 2018. Absolutely loving retirement. Do a range of activity every day incl 3 x 1 1/2 hrs a week ballet classes with ex Royal Ballet bods (keeps me on my toes!!), pilates & HITT classes (high intensity exercise classes). Did try Tai Chi...a bit slow so gave it up.....!!!! Life can be more than good after insulin. Real low point was when hubby broke his neck because I was working a 75 hr week (advertising) but still had to perform care duties particularly at weekends when I was off work.....that was v hard work....never had a full nights sleep because was woken up several times a night to sort him out when things went wrong yet still had to get up at 5am to begin sorting him out before I left home at 7am & drove 50 miles or so to where I was working--. Returned home by 10pm and had to do so much when I returned home plus get him into bed, which took another hour. Didn't look after myself so well then, for about a year. GP recommended yoga.....missed the point completely--- all I did was work & care ....no time at all to do anything else!!! After I had children care emerged out of the blue.....everyone seemed to think it was such hard work....I didn't think so but everyone is entitled to their opinions...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! vAnyway, on the whole, life has been more than good!!!!!

One word Prancer, WOW!!!!!!! I do love reading about individual's stories, fabulous and an inspiration! x (May you prance about for ever) :)

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
If any diabetic get diagnosed with any of the numerous complications diabetes has, it will always be something of great sorrow.
I live in Dubai and notice people ( in my school or outside community ) who take Diabetes lightly and don’t do the best they can in trying to control their sugar levels, which really saddens me.

I’m nearly 15 years old, so it has been nearly 10 years without any complication for me, and a decent Hba1c.
Well done, you. Doing good....!!!!!

Reactions: Khushi Nagpal

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
hi everyone i wanted to ask is there any type 1 with no complications. apart from good blood sugar level what would you say helped you stay complication free.

Had it three years .. T1...near lost my legs ...both of them .. now need quad by pass on heart owing to D issues and list gos on .. had nothing but **** and hell since I got D ...

So at the other end of the scale ... as most I see or hear of on heart do t have many maybe some .. but I have 6 dif complications owing from D ....including depression and eating disorder .....

Joys of D

Duotrans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
37 years and counting, some minor background retinopathy and my control has not that been that great. I have had carpal tunnel syndrome and trigger finger in both hands which may/ may not be diabetes related
Hi Fairygodmother
Carpal tunnel I know but curiosity asks what’s trigger finger.
Shining a light on this would be appreciated

bgst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
T1 diabetes for 27 years (on insulin) with no diabetes related complications (a few sports injuries, but none can be blamed on diabetes!) Learned a lot about controlling my diabetes when I did a few marathons and iron man triathlons - but if you want to see someone really “hit the wall”, try having a hypo when you are doing a marathon - cost me at least an hour!

Key for me: exercise, healthy eating, many many many blood tests to keep control, especially during exercise

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coming up on 20 years. Eat pretty much what I want, only had minimal training at diagnosis and guess on insulin.

So no complications.

Every DN always says they've never seen anyone like me. o_O

Could be the physical job. :***:

Reactions: jackthejoker

Nelly.libar

Why don’t we keep this thread going? It’s a good one and very encouraging to me. I was down past few weeks and this thread picked me up.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
50+ years of T1 now and still no complications. No Nabarro medal yet due to lockdown, but I’d rather look at the green leaves and the sprouting veg and flower seedlings than flaunt a medal on the daily exercise outing. What’s a medal (or a Care badge and applause for that matter!) compared to staying alive and feeling ok. I’ve a new right knee, too, which is brilliant now. I’m a happy old bird, currently advised to stay well away from others due to age.
My blood sugars aren’t always perfect but I’m lucky in that I have physical responses to highs and lows that make me really want to keep between 4.8 and 7.5. Always have done, and the new tech makes it very much easier.
I wouldn’t have lasted this long without the NHS, nor would a great many of us. I become dangerously angry at the way they’ve been undervalued, insufficiently protected, a resource to be sold, disposable . . .

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
So I'm 26 years in (diagnosed at 4), and I've had diabulimia for 8 years with my hba1c being 111-114 (12.6)over the last 5. No sight loss, or organ damage. My endocrinologist last stated "I don't understand why you're not dead?!" I've also survived covid-19. No I have absolutely no idea how or why. I'm guessing genes and luck to be honest . I think it really just depends, and not something we have a lot of control over.

bmtest

No complications 40+ years in my only advice is test and correct if necessary.

If you drive park away from destination and walk the extra block.

Avoid automation where possible use manual strength for instance use screwdriver rather than drill driver, use percussion tool rawl tool to drill holes for plugsin brick and block. Mix plaster by hand not mixer, use stairs rather than lift. Run rather than walk, Cycle rather than bus. Lift before trolley. Avoid central heating till your mid 40s.

Above all keep active some of the above you will no doubt hear from wife or boss use drill or trolley wheels its quicker, for me i was never to a couple of minutes either way.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 53 and have to admit using a mixing paddle for plaster, but that's 3 bags (75kg) in the day :p