Newly diagnosed 12th may.

Autumn93

hello, I've just joined looking for any kind of advice I guess, I've just been diagnosed with type 1 my Hbac1 was 113 and bloods when tested were 30.3 I've been told this is extremely high so I started insulin yesterday evening they've started me on 12 units and night and 4 units every time I eat, is this a lot? I'm 7 stone 7 pounds. I'm just so confused about everything I've not been told anything about counting sugars and carbs yet, is this really hard to do? I'm so scared and I have so many questions. Since starting I've had a huge headache but the nurse said this is because my body will be in shock with my levels being brought down so much. I'm so scared about the hypo it's making me not want to go to sleep I case something happens I don't know if I've just scared myself with things I've read. Does anybody have any advice or positives to how to cope with this. Thank you.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the club and to the forums.

It's quite normal for your head to be in a spin at this point but try to take deep breath and relax. Stress raises your blood sugars so avoid worrying, 'stuff' always sorts itself out in the end.

As your body gets used to lower glucose levels you may experience what's called a false hypo. So you have the hypo symptoms without being technically hypo.
It can feel quite unpleasant though.

Have you been given started on a particular insulin to carbohydrate ratio? (Like 1:10).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's always worth being sensible with the amount of carbs you eat but don't worry too much as you have only just started insulin. For some reason the NHS doesn't start people on carb-counting the meal-time (Bolus) insulin but leaves it until later. Do ask your nurse to get you started next time you see her; it's simple. By adjusting the insulin at each meal to the carbs in the meal. you reduce the risk of hypos and achieve a better overall HBa1C. Sugar is just another carb so look at Total carbs on the back of food packaging. Over time you will need to adjust the Basal (once/twice day insulin) to get it balanced. When balanced it will keep your BS stable when fasting over a good few hours e.g. overnight. Don't worry too much about a night-time hypo as your nurse will probably have started you on an insulin dose a bit lower than you will finally be on for the Basal. Just test before you go to bed and do your last meal-time insulin good few hours before bed-time. Keep some glucose e.g. Dextrose tablets by the bed. The headaches should fade quickly.

Autumn93

Thank you for your replies, they haven't told me anything about the carb ratio they've given me levemir 12 units every evening and then 4 units of fiasp after every meal x3 a day I've been injecting into my stomach isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Do you still eat what ever you want? I mean I eat quite healthy love veg, salad and fish but like anybody I love all the naughty foods too. Would you say it's worse to be lower than what it is higher on the sugar levels? That may sound stupid but from what I've maybe assumed is that it's scarier to be lower as you could have the hypo. I ate really healthy today but when I checked my levels at 5.5 I felt like I was gonna pass out it was awful so I had a little bit of fresh orange juice to make me feel better then soon After I ate a meal & felt okay again, it's all just such a rollercoaster, trying my best to stay calm and relaxed suppose worrying isn't going to help me.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Autumn93
You can eat what you want once you get your head around carb counting and dose adjusting. You are recently diagnosed so the medics may want to bring your levels down slowly before encouraging you to play around with doses.

Reactions: Autumn93

djfm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain
they won't tell you yet probobly because you are on the honeymoon period which mean your pancreases has not totally stoped so judging ratios will be hit and miss.

Reactions: Autumn93

Raisen22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey girl!

Im 32 and I’ve had type 1 diabetes since I was 9. The joys :dead:

It’s an absolute ballache but, when you’ve got the tools you need to manage it as best as you can, you can do it.

There will be many ups and downs but just seek support and help when you need it, or feel like your losing control.

If you need to have a moan about it, then do just that, it helps - trust me!! We are all here to listen and help as much as we can.

All the best,

Rachel x

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hellooo

I’m 32 diagnosed in July last year it is as many have said a head spinner :) if you ever want a chat or anything this is def the right place to be :)

It’s a great community :)