Too little too late?

nreyn89

Hi All,

I am 30 years old and T1 and was diagnosed at around the age of 6.

Over the years, I have struggled to control my diabetes, right from the started, i struggled to control it or even accept I had it. If I could have a sneaky choc bar at school I would!

I have now settled down and looking to maybe try for a child within the next 5 years.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has had suffered with bad control but managed to turn it around and have a healthy life?

Other than slight eye changes, I havent had any other complications (very lucky) and I want to now try and get a grip of this before it is too late.

Any advice or experience would be wonderful.

Please no nasty comments, I am trying

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome- I'm a type 2 so no advice from me but I think it is unbelievably hard for a kid to control it- don't beat yourself up- when adults still struggle to control it you can't blame a child for sneaking the odd choc bar.

Good luck with your plans for a baby.

Type 1's will be here at some stage to give some actual advice.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: nreyn89

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not a T1, so I can only speak generally, but you are still quite young and you haven't had complications, so I would expect that there is indeed still time to take better control and lead a healthy life. Good luck to you- there are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful type 1's on this forum and I'm sure someone will be able to share more specific advice and experience with you.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi All,

I am 30 years old and T1 and was diagnosed at around the age of 6.

Over the years, I have struggled to control my diabetes, right from the started, i struggled to control it or even accept I had it. If I could have a sneaky choc bar at school I would!

I have now settled down and looking to maybe try for a child within the next 5 years.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has had suffered with bad control but managed to turn it around and have a healthy life?

Other than slight eye changes, I havent had any other complications (very lucky) and I want to now try and get a grip of this before it is too late.

Any advice or experience would be wonderful.

Please no nasty comments, I am trying

Hi, by actually posting about your poor control and wanting to change it, you have made a positive start, so well done. Have you talked with your DSN or diabetes consultant about your diabetes management ?
Good luck X

No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Bad control yes I was that guy , I’ve posted some of my experiences , but I understand exactly where you are , the positive thing is you want to change and that’s the hardest bit , you also have a reason to change , and believe me when I say you Will achieve it. I had terrible control for over 30 years but in the last 6 years I have turned it around completely , ive never felt better my bs are excellent now , I’ve had complications but I’m fitter now than ever . You say that you have some eye complications which considering ur control is poor that’s good news could be so much worse. You seem to have a positive attitude which is so important , you might have a few hiccups along the way but by the sound of it it will not stop you achieving what you want .
Good luck and well done

rubypops

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am 28 years old and exactly the same story.
I was diagnosed aged 1.
I have had high hba1c's all my life (usually around 8 or 9) and bloodsugars that swing up and down wildly. I liked to pretend I wasn't diabetic when I was a teenager and have never paid enough attention to it. Luckily I also have had no complications except for very slight retinopathy.
I want to try for a child now and so am trying to get my diabetes in control. Terrified of the damage I could do to a baby with the poor control I've had. Its a scary journey.

A couple of things are helping me

- cutting carbohydrates out of my diet. Only been trying this for the last couple of days since people on here suggested it. It does seem to make bloodsugars far easier to control.

- writing down my bloodsugars before, 2 hours after, and 4 hours after a meal.

- don't drink beer!! Its impossible to control. If you are drinking, drink dry white wine or a spirit with a diet mixer.

- do your bloodtest and insulin as soon as you wake up in the morning. Mine rise really quickly as soon as I wake up and its hard to control then.

Hope this is some help. Sorry if I'm saying obvious things. Good luck :)

nreyn89

Bad control yes I was that guy , I’ve posted some of my experiences , but I understand exactly where you are , the positive thing is you want to change and that’s the hardest bit , you also have a reason to change , and believe me when I say you Will achieve it. I had terrible control for over 30 years but in the last 6 years I have turned it around completely , ive never felt better my bs are excellent now , I’ve had complications but I’m fitter now than ever . You say that you have some eye complications which considering ur control is poor that’s good news could be so much worse. You seem to have a positive attitude which is so important , you might have a few hiccups along the way but by the sound of it it will not stop you achieving what you want .
Good luck and well done
Thank you, well done to you as well! :)