Type 2 and vulnerable person shopping slots

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Click and collect would be an option but I can't get one of those slots either. This is probably because I live in South East London and competition is fierce. However, our street WhatsApp group are very good at helping one another and will offer to buy for others.
I'm not desperate but really just exploring the options as people become less concerned about social-distancing.

Max68

Click and collect is fine if you are one of the lucky ones who have a car. It is safe and doesn't put volunteers at risk by sending them into supermarkets. I think it might even be less risky than delivery drivers coming into your front garden. If everyone fortunate enough to have a car used it that would mean more delivery slots left for those who desperately need them, whether on the shielded list or just infirm. And, whether click& collect or delivery, try to do one month's shopping at a time if you have a freezer,both to reduce your own risk and to free more slots for those who depend on them.

Oh absolutely if you have a car of course, or even maybe a neighbour or friend could pick it up for you. They are pretty lax by just asking a name rather than insisting on any paperwork etc.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Now that it has been shown that 25% of deaths from COVID19 have diabetes as the underlying condition perhaps we shall be moved to the shielded group. Diabetes is associated with more deaths than, say, lung diseases for example.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I applied via the govt extremely vulnerable page. I didn't come out as 'extremely' (as expected) but because I am high risk they passed my details onto the supermarkets, and a couple of weeks later I was given priority access for online shopping.
A relief, as I'd been shopping online for years because of mobility problems yet my regular supermarket had cancelled my weekly slots.
Worth trying it? Or just talk to your regular supermarket and ask for priority access?

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I applied via the govt extremely vulnerable page. I didn't come out as 'extremely' (as expected) but because I am high risk they passed my details onto the supermarkets, and a couple of weeks later I was given priority access for online shopping.
A relief, as I'd been shopping online for years because of mobility problems yet my regular supermarket had cancelled my weekly slots.
Worth trying it? Or just talk to your regular supermarket and ask for priority access?
Do you have a link to the page please

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First cab off the rank at Google using "govt extremely vulnerable page" as a search term...

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

I asked because the page I went to only had the option to be extreme risk or not based on questions. If you did not have any of the extreme risk illnesses you were told no and goodbye. The poster suggested there was interaction so that's why I asked. Every question on the forum could be answered by 'go and google it' but that negates the whole purpose of a forum which is to share information. Thanks though.

Reactions: lovinglife

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked because the page I went to only had the option to be extreme risk or not based on questions. If you did not have any of the extreme risk illnesses you were told no and goodbye. The poster suggested there was interaction so that's why I asked. Every question on the forum could be answered by 'go and google it' but that negates the whole purpose of a forum which is to share information. Thanks though.
I had the same response when I tried because of my husband’s health issues.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I shop with Tesco regularly & was unable to get any delivery slots. Have been self isolating from the start. So my hubby phoned the number & explained to Tesco, reasons for shielding diabetes & other conditions. They then added me to their priority list & have given us access to priority slots. So I personally would recommend speaking to the supermarkets direct, on any priority contact numbers they may have.

See attached Tesco number. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 36DA5083-BE8A-4D2D-9ECD-525181950C01.png
    36DA5083-BE8A-4D2D-9ECD-525181950C01.png
    634 KB · Views: 286
Reactions: HSSS and Dr Snoddy

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Surely you have a well controlled HbA1c?
What are you nervous about exactly?
I understood that by controlling an HA1c you are controlling the symptoms but still have diabetes so your immune system could still be below par. Have I got this wrong?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I understood that by controlling an HA1c you are controlling the symptoms but still have diabetes so your immune system could still be below par. Have I got this wrong?
I tend to agree with your understanding on this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have slightly elevated insulin resistance but have "passed" every other diagnostic test for T2. Does that mean I still have T2?
I don't know but I'm not worried about the virus.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have slightly elevated insulin resistance but have "passed" every other diagnostic test for T2. Does that mean I still have T2?
I don't know but I'm not worried about the virus.

I’ve never been tested for insulin resistance, so don’t know if I have that or alternatively just not producing enough. I’m worried about the virus as I know 3 families who have lost someone. Plus I’m in my 60s and diabetic. Looking at statistics that is high risk. I was really lucky and booked a regular weekly delivery slot with Asda 9 weeks ago. Only go out for a daily walk about 7.30am.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at statistics that is high risk.

Define high risk..

you are female which is a huge plus

in your 60's is not high risk

depending on your last HbA1c you are probably fine in BG terms so...
Please remember a tiny percentage of the population have died from this and even with multiple co-morbidities (which you don't have) a small percentage of people die and a much larger percentage recover completely.

You are probably statistically more likely to die in a car crash than of COVID assuming where you live there are many cases so its even possible to catch it. Does that stop you driving or being driven?

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The WHO says over sixties are at a higher risk and a quarter of covid19 deaths in hospital had diabetes. The 3 people I know who have died have been in their 60s, all men, so I do have being female in my favour. I don’t know anyone who has died in a car accident in the last two months. So yes I am still worried.

Reactions: Brunneria

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer the question re Shopping slots.

I think it is a matter of location I live in the North East and over the last few weeks have managed to get click and collect slots which I prefer. I have also found that since the supermarkets have added more slots it has been even easier. I have used Tesco, Morrisons, Iceland and Asda. Asda seem to have slots whenever I visit the web site sometimes within a couple of days if people have cancelled, otherwise they tend to have slots a couple of weeks in advance. Iceland only show slots for a week and you usually have to log on around 11:00 am to find those although they have emailed me once to tell me that there was a slot available if I wished to log on and claim it (First come first served). When I first tried Morrisons I could not even get to their website, I was placed in a queue with the message if you are waiting for delivery slots there is none available. Now if I go to the website I still have to wait in a queue but usually for around a couple of minutes - if the message says something like delivery slots are limited then it usually means that there are some slots available. Just went on Tesco and whilst there were no slots available on the other two tabs, below is what's available now between May 18-24. Looks like they are limiting slots to one week in advance now.

upload_2020-5-18_19-40-35.png

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dr Snoddy I’m in a similar part of London to you. Generally I’m happy to go to the store, but for topping up with heavy items delivery is perfect once in a while. After several weeks of getting nowhere near a delivery slot, I happened upon great Morrison’s availability while browsing online mid-afternoon on Friday.

I booked one a couple of weeks later, but there were several available.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Once again, thank you to all you kind people who took the time to reply!

Petal55

Until this week I was going to the supermarket about once every eight days. However, since the advice changed in the UK, my local supermarket has been busier with few people wearing masks or social-distancing. I am feeling increasingly nervous. Have other Type 2s been able to get priority for online shopping? Stay well and safe.

Yes I have been getting slots I also had a letter/ phone call from nhs checking I was well and coping with shopping etc

Tannith

BANNED
Now that it has been shown that 25% of deaths from COVID19 have diabetes as the underlying condition perhaps we shall be moved to the shielded group. Diabetes is associated with more deaths than, say, lung diseases for example.
73% of deaths are over 70's, but they aren't shielded. Type 2 only doubles your risk, same as being male.