Vodka and low blood sugar

Russell52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I’m T2 Fully controlled age 60 weight 10 stone 10 lbs.
I do however have a couple of vodkas in the evening. Over the last few weeks my blood sugars at bed time are a bit too low at 3.9. During the day they are about 5. I don’t eat between 8 am and 6pm. Diabetic about 15 years. On the surface these numbers are ok but they are lower than they have been over the years. Any thoughts?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Vodka lowers blood sugar, or at least delays spikes while your liver deals with the glucose, so it's probably related to that. That said, I think 3.9 is ok anyway, provided you're not on hypo causing medication.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I’m T2 Fully controlled age 60 weight 10 stone 10 lbs.
I do however have a couple of vodkas in the evening. Over the last few weeks my blood sugars at bed time are a bit too low at 3.9. During the day they are about 5. I don’t eat between 8 am and 6pm. Diabetic about 15 years. On the surface these numbers are ok but they are lower than they have been over the years. Any thoughts?

What, if any, medication do you take, @Russell52 ? That can impact how good, or otherwise, numbers can be

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the liver is busy dealing with alcohol it can’t dump glucose into the blood. Yet. So levels are short term lower than without the alcohol. It’s a temporary delay and not advised as a control mechanism due to its own inherent issues/damage.

Reactions: Russell52