urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The ONLY thing you can do now is to keep monitoring your blood glucose levels and have some carbs handy if you need them. Basal isn't quite as scary as mistakes with rapid insulin.

These things happen unfortunately, - a couple of months back I injected 12 units of rapid instead of basal then couldn't drive to work until I knew everything was OK!

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't take any bolus. Keep plenty of carbs ready and test every hour or so, until you see how things are panning out.
Different colour pens is a must.
Changing to morning basal helped me avoid stupid bedtime mistakes, plus it gave me better results.
Hope things are OK for the next day or so!

Reactions: UK T1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I might have given myself a double basal
What will happen? What should I do?
Hi,

It can be done with the double shots.(distractions.)
Loads of testing, hypos? Not just fast acting carbs but longer acting too. Basal lows (from my experience if dose is too high.) can be slow creepers & recur.. We maybe talking milk & biscuits to ease the pain..?

Reactions: Struma

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi,

It can be done with the double shots.(distractions.)
Loads of testing, hypos? Not just fast acting carbs but longer acting too. Basal lows (from my experience if dose is too high.) can be slow creepers & recur.. We maybe talking milk & biscuits to ease the pain..?
Thanks for the reply @Jaylee but it doesn't really help as it's rather cryptic

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply @Jaylee but it doesn't really help as it's rather cryptic

Sorry, forgot the language barrier..

Test regualarly. Using short acting carbs may work for a while? You will probably need longer acting carbs because if you have a higher dosage of basal? The hypos may come back soon without a longer acting carb like a biscuit & milk. (Lactose & fat in the milk?)

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB hope you've made it through the night OK without too much trouble?

Reactions: SueJB

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which insulin Sue? if Levemeir it's reasonably short acting (I'd guess) so test and correct, it's very unlikely it'll drop fast enough to hurt, if L*ntus it'll take a few hours to see the trend down but still correctable (I did it once), and Tresiba I don't know yet :p

Don't be shy in testing if you need to! :)

Edit, posting as I thought it was a 'this morning' post, hope you're alright this morning :)

Reactions: SueJB

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Speak to us @SueJB! Did you get through it ok? If you did you may need a day off from gardening while you sit under a sunshade and keep an eye on your bloods.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sorry, forgot the language barrier..

Test regualarly. Using short acting carbs may work for a while? You will probably need longer acting carbs because if you have a higher dosage of basal? The hypos may come back soon without a longer acting carb like a biscuit & milk. (Lactose & fat in the milk?)

Best wishes.
@Jaylee my first language is English and I also teach English as a foreign language so I'm not sure what language barrier you're talking about. I think perhaps you have your own idiolect.