COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this good viewing but again doesn't tell us anything we didn't know. Are type 2 diabetics more at risk because they are diabetic or because of the associated comorbidities.. We simply still don't know. Hopefully partha kar's breakdown gives us a better insight

I think the point being made is about insulin resistance - which is the root of many of the co-morbidities.

Jamie H

I think the point being made is about insulin resistance - which is the root of many of the co-morbidities.
Probably showing my ignorance but do you mean insulin resistance being the root of obesity, cvd, hypertension etc? Do not mean that in a cheeky way just trying to brush up on my type 2 knowledge

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably showing my ignorance but do you mean insulin resistance being the root of obesity, cvd, hypertension etc? Do not mean that in a cheeky way just trying to brush up on my type 2 knowledge

In a word, yes!

Reactions: Jamie H

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And it's begun. Natural medicine is under attack by the US government again...

https://www.drbrownstein.com/dr-bs-blog/

I am at a complete loss as to how using nutrients to strengthen the immune system is bad, wrong, or illegal. This doctor was not promoting using nutrients as a treatment for COVID-19 - (it's illegal in the US to promote unproven treatments for COVID-19, which in general is good, but problematic when government agencies wrongly use the law).

A good place to monitor what's happening in the US is mercola.com. I re-subscribed and have been reading his daily emails for a month now. Some of the content has been informative and helpful.

I found this article in today's email interesting...

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for COVID-19

Here's a brief overview...
  • Opelousas General Hospital in Louisiana has deployed “off-label compassionate use” of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) for all COVID-19 patients with oxygen-resistant hypoxemia
  • During HBOT, you’re breathing air or oxygen in a pressurized chamber, which allows your body to bypass your lungs and directly absorb oxygen into your tissues. There’s no airflow being forced directly into the lungs, thus avoiding lung damage associated with ventilation
  • HBOT helps treat COVID-19 by reversing hypoxia, reducing inflammation in the lungs, increasing viricidal reactive oxygen species, upregulating HIF-increasing host defense peptides and reducing proinflammatory cytokines such as IL-6
  • Chinese doctors report “promising results” after treating five COVID-19 patients with HBOT. Two were in critical condition and five were severe. Patients experienced rapid relief of hypoxic symptoms, rapid correction of hypoxemia, improved lung pathology and a general reversal of associated conditions, including gastrointestinal symptoms
  • NYU Langone Health is recruiting 40 COVID-19 patients for a study using HBOT
Here's the two videos he linked to in the article...

Did you know that Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy was used successfully to treat Spanish Flu patients in the US in 1918? I didn't.

And here's a webinar by and for doctors on HBOT...

Thibodeaux presented his case findings in a recent webinar held by the Association for the Advancement of Wound Care (AAWC). As explained in this webinar, HBOT can help treat COVID-19 by:
  • Reversing hypoxia
  • Reducing inflammation in the lungs
  • Increasing viricidal reactive oxygen species
  • Upregulating HIF-increasing host defense peptides
  • Reducing proinflammatory cytokines such as IL-6, IL-1B, IL 18, TNF alpha and NF kappa B
Thibodeaux, who is board certified in general surgery and wound care, collaborated with Dr. Amer Raza, a doctor of pulmonology and critical care, to develop an inclusive treatment plan using HBOT once a day for 90 minutes.

The video can be accessed on the Association for the Advancement of Wound Care (AAWC) website with this link - (begin at 8:30 minutes for the interesting details)...

https://aawconline.memberclicks.net/2020-hbot-for-the-treatment-of-covid-19

The first 11 COVID-19 patients - (5 cases were described in detail) - were treated by the pulmonologist with hydroxycholoquine, azithromycin, zinc, vitamin C, and sometimes plasma but continued to decline prior to receiving HBOT. All were discharged without requiring intubation.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just a thought.

Up to 30% of those seriously ill have died from, or suffered blood clots.

High blood sugar levels make our blood more sticky.

Could that make some diabetics more susceptible to the blood clots, and therefore at greater risk?
BBC News - Coronavirus: A third of hospital patients develop dangerous blood clots
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52662065

Hold the front page!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-drugs-can-help-save-covid-19-patients-lives/

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been trying to learn more about the bill "H.R.6666 - COVID-19 Testing, Reaching, And Contacting Everyone (TRACE) ACT" introduced to the House of Representatives by Congressman Bobby Rush in the US on May 1, 2020. Here's the summary...

This bill authorizes the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to award grants for testing, contact tracing, monitoring, and other activities to address COVID-19 (i.e., coronavirus disease 2019). Entities such as federally qualified health centers, nonprofit organizations, and certain hospitals and schools are eligible to receive such grants. In awarding the grants, the CDC shall prioritize applicants that (1) operate in hot spots and medically underserved communities, and (2) agree to hire individuals from the communities where grant activities occur.

Friends have been reaching out to me about it so I decided to learn more. Turns out Congressman Rush has been associated with The Aspen Institute - (an international nonprofit think tank founded in 1949 as the Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies) - since 2011, and that the organization is largely funded by numerous foundations including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation which provided an 8.7 million dollar grant "for ministerial leadership initiative for global health" in 2008, and continues to financially support it.

The congressman's and his wife's trip to the 2019 Aspen Institute Congressional Program in Kigali, Musanze, and Muhanga, Rwanda was paid for by the "The Aspen Institute, Inc. with financial support from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Henry Luce Foundation, Rockefeller Brothers Fund, Democracy Fund, and Eleanor Crook Foundation".

The H.R.6666 bill looks like its purpose is fund tracing in "hot spots and medically underserved communities" which is fine, but as I've also taken time to learn more about the Gates activities over the past two decades, I'm becoming increasingly concerned.

James Corbett is posting a series of videos on Gates. A self-described "citizen journalist", he "started The Corbett Report website in 2007 as an outlet for independent critical analysis of politics, society, history, and economics". Canadian born, he earned a degree in english literature, spent a year in Ireland studying literature there, then moved to Japan where he began working as an english teacher and lives with his wife.

His most recent video, "Bill Gates and the Population Control Grid", the third of three videos to date in the series, offers examples of Gates activities throughout the world. It's not just vaccines. He's also funded the development of an ID program. To learn more, go to his website at https://www.corbettreport.com/ I suggest watching the third video, then listening to the first two if interested.

America's rush to create a vaccine for the coronavirus without adequate safety testing concerns me greatly. All previous attempts have failed and have resulted in deaths. If it's made mandatory, I don't know what my husband and I will do.

Dark Horse

@Brunneria, I agree with you that the fact that 25% of Covid-19 deaths had diabetes is not surprising.
However, you read the table - which I was actually looking for (thanks) - incorrectly. It is not that ~25% of 60 to 69 and 70 to 79 year olds have diabetes, but that 25% of all diabetics are between 60 and 69 and another 25% from 70 to 79.

The total number of diabetics in the UK is about 4 million 6%, so about 1 million are between 60 and 69. I quickly checked the population pyramid and about 11% of the population (~7 million) are between 60 and 69, so about one in 7 or 14% have diabetes in that age group. I discussed this in more detail in my thread, see
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/covid-coronavirus-and-diabetes-the-numbers.174274/
Agree with the interpretation of the table, and your estimate is consistent with the figures Diabetes UK produced (bearing in mind there are different boundaries for the age-ranges and the data is 14 years old):-
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-11/diabetes_in_the_uk_2010.pdf
upload_2020-5-18_6-56-26.png

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
America's rush to create a vaccine for the coronavirus without adequate safety testing concerns me greatly. All previous attempts have failed and have resulted in deaths. If it's made mandatory, I don't know what my husband and I will do.

I see this is a mixture of political enthusiasm and journalistic scaremongering. Your FDA is very thorough (I know, I deal with them) and I cannot see them passing a vaccine that has not been properly tested, irrespective of what Mr Trump desires. Besides, the political fallout from getting it wrong would be catastrophic for the ruling party.

Last edited:

Dark Horse

During HBOT, you’re breathing air or oxygen in a pressurized chamber, which allows your body to bypass your lungs and directly absorb oxygen into your tissues.
Sorry, but this is nonsense. Oxygen enters via the lungs but because of the increased atmospheric pressure, it not only saturates the haemoglobin but dissolves in the plasma at higher concentrations than usual in accordance with Henry's law. This makes more oxygen available to the tissues. https://www.anaesthesiauk.com/article.aspx?articleid=100346

Reactions: Struma

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but this is nonsense. Oxygen enters via the lungs but because of the increased atmospheric pressure, it not only saturates the haemoglobin but dissolves in the plasma at higher concentrations than usual in accordance with Henry's law. This makes more oxygen available to the tissues. https://www.anaesthesiauk.com/article.aspx?articleid=100346

Dark Horse, I believe what you quoted was written by Dr. Mercola. It's entirely possible he doesn't fully understand how HBOT works. Thanks for sharing the above information.

The good news is that HBOT is another treatment option for patients who have the coronavirus at hospitals that have it. Ours doesn't, so it's not an option for patients here, but the hospital 30 miles south of it does and has used it for decades.

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see this is a mixture of political enthusiasm and journalistic scaremongering. Your FDA is very thorough (I know, I deal with them) and I cannot see them passing a vaccine that has not been properly tested, irrespective of what Mr Trump desires. Besides, the political fallout from getting it wrong would be catastrophic for the ruling party.

Urbanracer, I sincerely hope you are correct that the FDA will their fulfill their duties. I'm so worn out by this administration. Time will tell.

Here's where I'm confused. If it takes four to five years to bring a new vaccine to market, how are they going to complete the safety testing in 18 months?

As for James Corbett's reporting, he's completely new to me. If anything he reported isn't accurate, I'd like to know.

I am very uncomfortable with having a microchip placed in my body that 1) identifies who I am, 2) contains my medical information, and 3) is required to make day-to-day purchases. That's not scaremongering. That's Gate's goal.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
James Corbett is posting a series of videos on Gates. A self-described "citizen journalist", he "started The Corbett Report website in 2007 as an outlet for independent critical analysis of politics, society, history, and economics". Canadian born, he earned a degree in english literature, spent a year in Ireland studying literature there, then moved to Japan where he began working as an english teacher and lives with his wife.

His most recent video, "Bill Gates and the Population Control Grid", the third of three videos to date in the series, offers examples of Gates activities throughout the world. It's not just vaccines. He's also funded the development of an ID program. To learn more, go to his website at https://www.corbettreport.com/ I suggest watching the third video, then listening to the first two if interested.
Wow that's one scary video..

as is this document from the UK govt

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ce-to-social-distancing-measures-22032020.pdf

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dark Horse, I believe what you quoted was written by Dr. Mercola. It's entirely possible he doesn't fully understand how HBOT works. Thanks for sharing the above information.

The good news is that HBOT is another treatment option for patients who have the coronavirus at hospitals that have it. Ours doesn't, so it's not an option for patients here, but the hospital 30 miles south of it does and has used it for decades.
Why would Dr Mercola a controversial anti-vac alternative medicine proponent be writing an article for AnaesthesiaUK?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Urbanracer, I sincerely hope you are correct that the FDA will their fulfill their duties. I'm so worn out by this administration. Time will tell.

Here's where I'm confused. If it takes four to five years to bring a new vaccine to market, how are they going to complete the safety testing in 18 months?

As for James Corbett's reporting, he's completely new to me. If anything he reported isn't accurate, I'd like to know.

I am very uncomfortable with having a microchip placed in my body that 1) identifies who I am, 2) contains my medical information, and 3) is required to make day-to-day purchases. That's not scaremongering. That's Gate's goal.

Hi Winnie,

Hope you're keeping well.

The Bill Gates video was enlightening. Thanks for sharing.

Now oddly, Trump's puzzling little "stand up routine" involving UV under the skin?
I'm no scientist & neither is he. (Lol, & I'm certaily not condoning what he came out with.)

Moving on..
However, I wonder if Trump meant by his "understanding" of "under the skin" "IR" as part of the preventative?
https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/11/523/eaay7162?rss=1

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jaylee, yes, I believe it's intended to support their immunization work with the poor in Africa. That said, I recently saw a video in which a business was promoting the idea of how wonderful it would be if we had the ability to unlock doors, make purchases, etc. with a swipe of our hand. Here's what concerns me... if a government, the Chinese government for example, can control their population's access to their own money, would they not have greater control over what the people could and could not do? I'm really concerned and have been struggling to understand what's happening right now, for a couple of weeks actually. I have more questions than answers.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would Dr Mercola a controversial anti-vac alternative medicine proponent be writing an article for AnaesthesiaUK?

I don't understand your question. Dr. Mercola blogs daily on what doctors are doing to successfully treat patients with the coronavirus.