• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CornishNurse

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Can anyone share good low carb meals and foods I am really trying to make a difference to my health and well-being I ve I have had Covid 19 and my blood readings have been all over the place from 14 to 18 to 21.9

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a read of these posts and their links and you’ll have a better understanding

Intro to T2 and low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
All the things I wish I’d been told earlier https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

covid ( and many other illnesses) messes up bgl levels and can take some time to regain control. Made easier and quicker with the right nutrition as opposed To Taking longer with the wrong ones.

Reactions: mike@work
D

Deleted member 308541

Meat, poultry, bacon, cheese, butter, green veggies, yoghurt, eggs, avocado, to name but a few of my favourites...

Reactions: Chook

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CornishNurse ,

Welcome to the forum,

You have "insulin dependant" on your profile. Is this correct?

Nether the less. (Even using exogenous insulin?) Root veg, rice, cereal, (brown or white.) pasta, bread certain tropical fruits like banana & pineapple.
Milk?? Yep lactose, a great hypo fixer when I was a lad along with fruit juice. (Fructose.) May not do any favours with BG management.

Good to see you recovering.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To eat with my meat, fish etc. I have, at the moment, two types of stir fry, mixed salad, sweet peppers, mushrooms, celery tomatoes, courgette, beetroot, radish, coleslaw, for salad dressing a really good olive oil and wine vinegar, both red and white. There are mixed veges, green beans and cauliflower in the freezer along with frozen mixed berries - 'Summer fruit'. I have Red Leicester and mozzarella cheese and will get camonber and brie when I go shopping again. I have extra thick cream and greek yoghurt in the fridge as well, along with organic eggs and several packs of ground coffee.
I think I am good for quite a few more days of lockdown.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @CornishNurse and welcome

In addition to the information given above - I particularly recommend dietdoctor.com - have a read/join in the What have you eaten today? thread in the low carb section of the forum. Lots of ideas and friendly chat.

Dark Horse

Root veg, rice, cereal, (brown or white.) pasta, bread certain tropical fruits like banana & pineapple.
The question was 'what foods are low carb'. I think there must be a typo in your answer as you've given a list of high carb foods which low carbers generally avoid.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The question was 'what foods are low carb'. I think there must be a typo in your answer as you've given a list of high carb foods which low carbers generally avoid.

Hi,
You are correct. :) "May not do any favours with BG managment."

Cornishnurse's current status appears to be "insulin-dependant type2," (it could be the dreaded forum glitch in the status menus choice.?) ;)
low carbing can be done using insulin, just expressing a little caution until it's established what medication our friend is prescribed.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone share good low carb meals and foods I am really trying to make a difference to my health and well-being I ve I have had Covid 19 and my blood readings have been all over the place from 14 to 18 to 21.9
You have already been given the link to The Nutritional Thingy, but I wanted to add: yeah, it works... Like a dream. You'll get this licked!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CornishNurse - If you're starting from scratch and want a guided process, you might be interested in The Low Carb Programme (LCP), developed by this site. There is also a load of content at the moment relating to COVID, although to be fair, more to do with keeping sane, on-track and mildly active during lockdown.

The LCP is a subscription service, but is carrying a massive discount until the end of the month. It could be worth a look: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

It's a personal choice whether you like to do things your own way, at your own pace, or whether you prefer something with a bit more structured support.

Good luck with your health. You're in the wars at the moment, for sure.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
You are correct. :) "May not do any favours with BG managment."

Cornishnurse's current status appears to be "insulin-dependant type2," (it could be the dreaded forum glitch in the status menus choice.?) ;)
low carbing can be done using insulin, just expressing a little caution until it's established what medication our friend is prescribed.
Shows as on metformin on the info page and no sign of insulin under the avatar on my screen.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - you might be feeling tired and not wanting to cook all the time. Some easy options are salad....ham, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, hummus, coleslaw, cheese with a light dressing olive oil apple cider vinegar and fresh lemon juice. There are low carb crackers, crispbreads etc if you feel like eating these. Soup is a good option - any veggies and coconut milk garlic, ginger, paprika.....could add cooked chicken. Cooking a whole chicken and adding salad or veggies is also quite easy. Hope you get well soon.