VICTOZA users

mcarbl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have started Victoza today in a bid to get my HbA1c down, lose weight and control my NASH. I’ve lost 16lbs in the last 4 weeks through diet control and really want to capitalise on this with the injections.

My appetite has already gone down with a slight sick feeling. I’ve been told to increase to 1.2 after 7 days but am slightly apprehensive about the other side effects. Time will tell...

Twisticles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have started Victoza today in a bid to get my HbA1c down, lose weight and control my NASH. I’ve lost 16lbs in the last 4 weeks through diet control and really want to capitalise on this with the injections.

My appetite has already gone down with a slight sick feeling. I’ve been told to increase to 1.2 after 7 days but am slightly apprehensive about the other side effects. Time will tell...

How are you getting on? I'm on day 3 and feel like you - slightly nauseous and off my food!

Twisticles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm three days in to week two, dose of 1.2 now.
Nausea has stepped up a notch, having to drink tons to combat dehydration (on account of Forxiga and Diamicron).
I've found that if I skip breakfast the nausea is worse. I only have a shake but it does make a difference.
I'm eating fairly low carb, but my fasting is around 5mmol and rarely goes above 7.8mmol at the moment, which is a big improvement on 24mmol a month ago!

Twisticles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Nobody else on a Victoza journey?
I went up to the full 1.8mg dose last Saturday. Same as when I started and went to 1.2mg I was pretty nauseous, especially in the morning for the first 3-4 days.
However, since starting nearly a month ago I've lost 5kg which is nice. I'm also OMAD in the evenings, so technically intermittently fasting but that is less planned and more that I don't feel like eating much.
Also find myself eating less, putting less on the plate in the first place, and often leaving more on the plate as my appetite has shrunk. This is totally worth the nausea!

alyblu

Hi,
yes im on a victoza journey, i started injections on monday.... so im on day 5. i am injecting 6mg at 10pm or bed time, and i think this might be saving me from serious nausea... i would say it feels more like Reflux (which i suffer rom anyway) than nausea.... and my appetite has dramatically reduced, as has the amount i seem to be able to eat before being full. I got on the scales this morning and have lost 4lb, so thats an upside... in 6 days time i need to up the rise to 12mg ... im a little worried about this as dont want to feel any worse than i do already.... i am thinking about upping it 2mg at a time over say 9 days, to reduce the impact, is this something that anyone else has tried??
Thanks in advance for any advice on that :)

Twisticles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I don't know about increasing 2mg at a time. It's certainly not the recommended route.
TO be honest, although each increase left me nauseous for 2-3 days, each increase wasn't any worse than the others. I certainly felt it more the following morning after increase i.e. approx 20-22 hours after the jab!
After a week on 1.8mg I'm doing ok, nausea has settled down a bit.

Can I ask what other meds you might be on?

alyblu

I don't know about increasing 2mg at a time. It's certainly not the recommended route.
TO be honest, although each increase left me nauseous for 2-3 days, each increase wasn't any worse than the others. I certainly felt it more the following morning after increase i.e. approx 20-22 hours after the jab!

hi,
i dont take any other meds for Diabetes, metformin is disastrous for me, with dreadful stomach issues on it, hence the move to Victoza. My main problem now is constantly feeling like i just polished off a roast dinner, and pud!!! strangest thing ive ever experienced not wanting to aeat... im having to force myself to east, and even then, its about a third of what i was eating .... in itself not a problem as i do need to lose some weight, but its not a pleasant feeling, omeprazole isn’t helping, nor ranitidine, which i have for silent reflux.... i suppose in just going to need to ride it all out and wait for it to pass.

Twisticles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

I think I might have spoke too soon!
Just a day after posting the above, I had onset of rotten egg-tasting burps and very liquid runs.
The following day the burps and bathroom visits were more frequent.
Then last night I was woken up with a REALLY urgent need to go to the bathroom and barely made it in time. I've been going 2-3times and hour since then and feeling quite awful. Even my partner could smell the burps when walking in to the bedroom! Horrible.
I am determined to ride this out as my Endo keeps saying it will get better. She has also given me the option to drop back down to 1.2 to stablise side effects before going back to 1.8. So yeah, I will definitely be doing that tomorrow!

MDABBY

Isn't anyone here concerned about the black box warning & high mortality rate of Victoza?? All I see is how it lowers blood sugar & side affects.
All these drugs have side affects....but some of them, like Victoza, if taken long enough, will kill you!
I have taken it for 2 months....bad side affects, & I can deal with that, but doing some research on this drug, I found some horrific results.
Not that other drugs are better...they all destroy your body. But good grief! Prior to this I was put on Novolog Flex pen by my genius doctor who said I "might gain a little weight, like 5 pounds". I gained 50 pounds without diet change. So I wanted to avoid any insulin drug class. So now its this Victoza. I have to get off this. You can't win.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Re: Victoza

good luck with victoza i'm doing fine on it and it's not hard to use be good to have someone else on it with me
Hello to all, I have been on Victoza for at least 5 years, (or it could be longer), I have read some of the first page comments, and I can say that I have 2 thighs that are used on alternate days for the same injection. The pen is very simple to use, the needle point which I use is only 0.4 ml long so it is not really felt.
The starting dose I was given was 0.6ml once a day, for the first week, then if there had been nothing concerning, the dose went to 1.2ml per day, and it has stayed that way ever since. I have felt fuller while I have been on it, and as with all diabetics I work at maintaining my BG levels, it is a good addition to the group of meds available for control and I have felt fine the whole time I have been on it. All diabetics should have a yellow sharps box, (to put the testing strips and the little finger prick lances in, binmen can throw hissy fits if they find testing stuff in the general rubbish bins).
To those who are think about or been offered Victoza give it a go, and as previous posts have commented on injection sites get sore and have nasty things happening, the victoza goes into muscle, and I have found my thighs are big enough to be used as injection sites.
Most users usually use 2 pens a month at 1.2ml per day, and mine are supplied in boxes of 3 pens as this the usual number the manufacturers make them in, and although the doctors prescribe 2 pens, they have to be supplies in the boxes of 3 as the pharmacy cannot supply the single pen on it's own.

Poppi2017

Re: Victoza mentioned on This Morning

Hi Carol,

I believe you may be our only member on Victoza, so it would be really helpful if could keep us updated on how you get on with it, any problems or side effects you encounter, what effect it has on your weight and BGs, etc. Your experiences could be very useful to others who may be offered Victoza.
I was on Victoza for about 6 months and I got on fine with it. I was starting to lose weight but after 6 months on it I started to be very sick after I took it in the morning. I did not want to believe it was the. Victoza but when I went to my Nurse she told me to come off of it. I’m now on Linagliptin

Brad0053

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on Victoza 3 days ago, so early days. Felt absolutely fine for days 1 and 2. Day 3 and my head feels fuzzy, a little tired but certainly not feeling sick (although it's early days). Injections are absolutely fine, no pain and that's not me being brave, because I'm not!
Will report back to let people being asked if they want to try it how it goes for me.

Lilylala

I was on Victoza for 6 weeks 1.6 units per day.Lost 10 kg....Lost taste buds....felt stick.....fuzzy head.....mood swings.....foul taste in mouth..... Low libido.......dark foul smelling urine.........chronic kidney infection.Would I recommend ...... No , but everyone is different this was my experience.

Reactions: Brad0053

stephenharold

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Brad0053

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on Victoza 3 days ago, so early days. Felt absolutely fine for days 1 and 2. Day 3 and my head feels fuzzy, a little tired but certainly not feeling sick (although it's early days). Injections are absolutely fine, no pain and that's not me being brave, because I'm not!
Will report back to let people being asked if they want to try it how it goes for me.
UPDATE - now 6 weeks in and have to say it has been very straightforward with my BG in the best shape in terms of consistency than I have had before. No issues with the injections or the site used (thigh) either. If it carries on like this, I’ll be happy.

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone shed some light over this? From what I undersand GLP-1 agonists simply trick our pancreas in producing more insulin and less glucagon... how is that a good thing?
Type 2 especially comes from hyperinsulinemia anyway... why would be want higher levels of insulin?
I get that it must knock down glucose and therefore only looking at hba1c that lloks good I guess? But all the data shows how we basically have more of "lower glucose post prandial than fasted" effect which is literally my issue of my entire life: I spout out too much insulin, that kept my glucose and hba1c officially lower and non diabetic but the levels of insulin were off the roof.
How is getting us to produce more insulin good, how can it possibly makes us lose weight? Help a girl out cause biologically it doesn't make sense to me

Tinymeh

Hello I need some help here. My mother is on victoza and today she was curious about something. She knows about covid making people magnetic,so she try it with.
She took her shot of victoza and then put a magnet on to her surprise it stuck. A couple hours later she put the magnet on other places of her body, wherever she put that magnet it stuck. Please if anyone knows what this means tell me. My mother said she going to get off of it. I've never seen my mom get so scared like that. If you don't believe me then you put on a magnet,anyway have a nice day or night

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs