DVLA licence renewal form

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My driving licence is on an annual renewal, which is coming up in June.

I should have received the renewal form by now, but no sign. If the form is completed and returned, I can continue to drive whilst the renewal goes through the hoops. Took 4 months last time.

The DVLA website says that because of Coronavirus, the form - only available from the DVLA - can't be downloaded. You couldn't make it up...

They're not taking calls or emails because of coronavirus.

Anyway, has anybody had licence renewal forms, late?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m in the same boat, on annual renewal and mine is due early July. Not heard anything yet.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Ellie, unfortunately not as they say:

'You cannot use this service to: ...renew a full or provisional licence for a minibus, bus, coach or lorry - order forms D2/D4 from DVLA instead...'

Which leads to: 'You cannot currently order application packs or forms online because of coronavirus (COVID-19).'

Happily my forms arrived yesterday, with 5 weeks 2 days to go.

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5 weeks 2 days to go
ROFL, good luck with that......My annual experience with DVLA for C1 D1 renewals is not good!! Normally a four to six month process at the best of times.....Dread to think how long it will take in the current climate......Currently have a case being looked into by the parlimentary health ombudsman so hoping changes will be recommended to the whole process in the future.....Wishing you a speedy renewal.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I received a renewal form 3 weeks ago (10 weeks before my Licence ran out), filled the application in online and my Licence arrived today. Great service so I wonder what the hold ups are (I think the Centre is in Swansea for most of the UK??).

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I received a renewal form 3 weeks ago (10 weeks before my Licence ran out), filled the application in online and my Licence arrived today. Great service so I wonder what the hold ups are (I think the Centre is in Swansea for most of the UK??).
Was that for a car licence? If so then yes agree, a very straight forward and quick process......unfortunately renewing for a lorry can't be done online......requires extensive medical investigations, plus a face to face private and independent review with a consultant each year :(

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If they confirm they have the form back then you can continue to drive for 12 months whilst they investigate

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they confirm they have the form back then you can continue to drive for 12 months whilst they investigate
Hmmmm, under section 88, which states you and your doctor must agree you meet the required standards.... I’ve yet to meet a doctor that would confirm that without carrying out a full medical at a cost of £100. Being forced to also drive a your car during this time under section 88 is also unfair as a car licence would normally last 3 years. Also unable to drive company vehicles under section 88 and a lot of hassle every year notifying insurers when you drive multiple vehicles. So yes you can drive but it’s not that straight forwards!!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was that for a car licence? If so then yes agree, a very straight forward and quick process......unfortunately renewing for a lorry can't be done online......requires extensive medical investigations, plus a face to face private and independent review with a consultant each year :(

Ah yes, sorry, I didn't realise they were on about lorries etc, my apologies. x

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
T1DM2012

Good luck with the health ombudsman, I got a phone call this morning they said they can't help me after been accused of being involved in drink and driveing instant by a consultant at Warrington hospital

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hmmmm, under section 88, which states you and your doctor must agree you meet the required standards.... I’ve yet to meet a doctor that would confirm that without carrying out a full medical at a cost of £100. Being forced to also drive a your car during this time under section 88 is also unfair as a car licence would normally last 3 years. Also unable to drive company vehicles under section 88 and a lot of hassle every year notifying insurers when you drive multiple vehicles. So yes you can drive but it’s not that straight forwards!!

Whenever I have had the letter from the DVLA it states you can continue to drive under section 88 unless you feel you will fail the medical investigation.. when I phone the DVLA team the confirm I can continue as is until told otherwise

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever I have had the letter from the DVLA it states you can continue to drive under section 88 unless you feel you will fail the medical investigation.. when I phone the DVLA team the confirm I can continue as is until told otherwise
hmmm, DVLA in my experience give out a lot of incorrect info when it comes to Type 1's driving Group 2 vehicles. You could have a case against them if that is what they have told you, they have always told me they can only suggest i maybe able to drive under section 88, but its upto me and my doctor to agree that i am fit to continue driving whilst medical enquires are completed.....I worry without something in writing from a doctor, should there be an accident i could be screwed from an insurance and legal point of view and my consultant agrees. DVLA's leaflet 'Can i drive while my application is with DVLA' file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/inf188x6-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla%20(9).pdf clearly states: To continue driving under Section 88, you must meet all of the following criteria: • Your doctor must have told you that you are fit to drive. If your doctor is unsure about how a medical condition affects driving, they should refer to ‘Assessing fitness to drive – a guide for medical professionals’ at www.gov.uk/dvla/fitnesstodrive......it goes onto say: while the DVLA is completing medical investigations to decide whether a licence can be issued, we cannot tell you if Section 88 applies to you. You and your doctor are in the best position to consider the Section 88 criteria and to decide whether you should drive while you are waiting for a licence to be issued.......

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The guidance at https://assets.publishing.service.g...i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf

Is.

You meet the medical standards of fitness
to drive. If you have a medical condition and
have been told not to drive by a doctor or
healthcare professional, you should not do
so. If your doctor or healthcare professional is
unsure about how a medical condition affects
driving, they should refer to ‘Assessing fitness
to drive – a guide for medical professionals’

Along with the rest of the criteria

NowI actually tested this last year after not having a driving license or digital tacho card for several months …. And I got stopped by vosa for a compliance check.. and all was ok with only a little explanation