Freestyle libre

josh1334

I've had the libre for almost 6months now and I've found it's very useful in the fact I can scan whenever I want with ease. I find it most useful at work as I work in fast food it's quick and easy.
My fingertips are a lot happier with it too

I do however have issues where I sleep on my side it pushes it into my skin and gives me a lower reading than it actually is!

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
15899127704835636593350611471991.jpg
15899127933575506863063068560237.jpg
I've had mine for just over a couple of years and find accuracy very good I just rip the old one off and then use the spare swab that's in the new Libre box to wipe over where it was (that's what the 2nd swab is in there for)
I found it to be accurate every time when it tells me my sugar is going into hypo (sometimes even when BG is over 6mmol/l) when I do not know usually until it get's to around 4.5 mmol/l so it gives me time to avoid it going low.
One thing I couldn't be without is the NHS hack which puts a pic of a gingerbread man in the bottom right of the reader screen and pressing it tells you how much QA insulin I have still workong at any one time so i can allow for this when I next inject.
In the 2 years since using the Libre I've never had to have an ambulance attend or 3rd party help for a hypo.
Prior to the Libre I'd had so much laser to both eyes there was no room left to laser due to scar damage , since getting the Libre I've had no laser, no eye injections , and I continue to have no heart , no kidney, no nerve or feet problems

Last edited:

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
15899130263116543050051827347275.jpg
Units left via Gingerbread man

Another option when removing an old sensor is do it after a bath/shower which makes it easier to peel off.
If left underwater for over 20mins they tend to come off which is why if it falls off after a a bath/shower or swim when you ring Abbott to get a free replacement don't tell them when they ask if it's been in water for 20 mins or more otherwise they'll not replace it free

Last edited:
Reactions: deniski

Chris181

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had 3 sensors thus far. 2 were 30% lower than my Contour Next blood strips, and the third was 20% lower. I received several false alarms from the Freestyle Libre about low blood sugar. Luckily, I had strips on hand to cross check. SO, not very accurate on me, BUT, a very good educational tool to see the effect of meals and carbs on blood sugar. I have also used it to compare the effectiveness of three different medications after consuming a bowl of bran flakes at breakfast...similar to an oral glucose tolerance test. I am trying to keep my BS below 7.8mmol/L at all times to minimize damage from glucose toxicity. (nerve, retina, and beta cell damage etc.)

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using a Libre for nearly 6 months -
First one fell of after 36 hours
Next 2 only lasted up to 8 days
Then started to get the hang of it.
Readings for me are generally 2 below the finger when reading is at 9 or less ## Above 9 it appears more inaccurate as the level rises and reads increasing higher than the finger. I guess this will be different for everyone.
The Abbott support line has become increasing slow and in hindsight sometimes just ignorant.
The real advantage to me is the overnight picture (When it works!) and the day time trend arrows.
I am now of the opinion that I need to get the fact that the readings are not accurate and th use the finger to create a reference point 4 times a day.
I was originally hoping that my steel fingers would start to soften but still hoping! I have been T1 for over 60 years so I am now resigned to having to wait longer.
I have just had the 6 month review, telephone version, and despite being told they could not find me on their system, have been told that they will now be continually prescribed - just not sure I want to accept the inaccuracy and the consequent risks.
The only total positive is I decided to get a new phone (iPhone 8 plus) which is brilliant and the old phone (iPhone SE) has passed to one of my daughters.

Paul

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had a Libre for nearly four years. Hasn't really improved my HbA1c but that was fairly good anyway. Has certainly improved the condition of my finger tips which, were used for up to twelve blood tests each day.

Libre's convenience is the big thing. Easy to test discretely when in a public place or extra quickly when driving. You soon learn its quirks and adjust accordingly. Wouldn't be without it now.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using the system now for a year, great to use and allows better control

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find the best way to remove my sensor is to use alcohol hand sanitizer. It really helps dissolve the adhesive. I use the Cutan foam that comes in a red pump bottle. It's expensive even at the best of times but works great for me. Haven't tried any other brand on it so might be worth a go with whatever sanitizer you've got.