BG spike what are acceptable levels

vadxb

Good day all

I have a question regarding BG spike after meal and what are considered acceptable levels.

For instance my GP says that, as long as levels return to normal after 2 hrs after meal and stay at that level or lower for the 3 and 4 Hr after meal, then it's okay. He did add that levels shouldn't jump more than 10 after 1 hour.

Example, I take porridge and my fasting levels are 5.5 and after 1 hour it spikes to 8.5 but returns to 6 after 2 hours and has stayed at that level at both the after 3 hrs and 4th Hr point. Is this considered okay? Should I be concerned that my levels jumped after 1 hour?

I'm not low carbing at the moment but more low GI. Many thanks guys, seriously this forum is of great help and I appreciate each of you taking time in keeping this forum active.

Cheers

Hendie

The spikes for me were/are a sign of insulin resistance.

Sometimes when i test at home after purposely eaten carbs it can be 10+ and on my Glucose Tolerance Test it came back 12.5 after 30 minutes and 10.5 after 1 hour, but then dropped back down into acceptable range for the 2 hour mark.

So i dont have diabates, but i have quite alot of the symptoms and at the moment i have just started treatment on metformin for insulin resitance.

Sorry i cant help directly.

Steve

hallii

What is, or is not, considered a satisfactory BG reading, say two hours after eating varies depending upon where you look, who you ask, what type of diabetic you are, and all the combinations of them.

Personally, I think that any test readings above the normal ones (and those vary, depending on where you look etc etc.) make you diabetic In my book there is no such thing as "pre-diabetic", it's like saying "nearly diabetic" or "part diabetic".

So what should you be aiming for BG wise? Normal levels of course, now, you might not be able to achieve normal levels so then you should aim for levels as near to them as you can manage.

I suggest that from your readings you are not diabetic, you doctor has reached the same diagnosis so we might both be right!

You might have a higher 1 hour level than a lot of other people, but that in itself is not significant. The fact that you return to "acceptable levels" (what are they?) after the 2 hour interval indicate that you are able to handle normal amounts of carbs.

Now, if I was you I would check my BG s on say, a 6 monthly basis doing fasting, and 2 hours after a meal. Keep a record and note any rising figures. I would cut out the sugary stuff and do a bit of exercise, it can't hurt can it?

H

vadxb

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify - I'm a recently diagnosed T2 and currently managing by diet and exercise (I was on medicines when I was diagnosed but not anymore)

I have heard mixed opinions about low carb diet vs low GI diet and currently i'm leaning more towards low GI diet. However I'm just concerned whether the spike after 1 hour will cause any harm in the long run?

Do you guys normally focus on your readings after 30/60 mins of your meal? If so what levels do you guys aim for?

Many thanks!

sandy2011

Hi vadxb,
I do test 45 mins / 60 mins / 70 mins after meal and aim at some number less than 7.0.
I try to not have any reading higher than 7.0 at any point in time.