What are you doing to keep covid out of your home

Tezzer

BANNED
Seems to me that there are a lot of paranoid people on here. Yes, take precautions by all means, but come on guys, some of these threads are taking it to the extreme.
It’s red alert for me. When I am in the supermarket it’s like bandits at 6 o’clock. Permanently at the ready. Shall we say I “stay alert” to coin the government phrase.

Reactions: nailchewer

nailchewer

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
Wearing gloves, I sanitise deliveries and groceries with antiseptic wipes before putting them away.Has anyone any other ideas about how to keep the virus out of homes?

Have you considered taking off your shoes or walking through a trough of soapy water and then taking your shoes off before entering your home?

I always hang my outdoor clothing up in the fresh air outside on a hanger before entering my home if i have been in my front garden as people walk past and cycle past. I plan to do the same with my mask when i go out.

I don't have hand sanitiser i use soap. It was all sold out. I use a solution of soapy water and bleach to wash all plastic, tins and sealed packages that won't leak. It is 100% effective. 1 in 10 solution.

I use the same solution to wipe everything that comes into my home. I then put the damp cardboard out and do not take it in until it is dry.

I wash all fruit and veg except onions and put it outside to dry on paper towels.

Salad, spinach etc., i remove from the plastic bag and re-bag it and dispose of the packaging immediately.

I change all my clothing after taking a food delivery and wash it in a hot wash.

Hope this helps

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you considered taking off your shoes or walking through a trough of soapy water and then taking your shoes off before entering your home?

I always hang my outdoor clothing up in the fresh air outside on a hanger before entering my home if i have been in my front garden as people walk past and cycle past. I plan to do the same with my mask when i go out.

I don't have hand sanitiser i use soap. It was all sold out. I use a solution of soapy water and bleach to wash all plastic, tins and sealed packages that won't leak. It is 100% effective. 1 in 10 solution.

I use the same solution to wipe everything that comes into my home. I then put the damp cardboard out and do not take it in until it is dry.

I wash all fruit and veg except onions and put it outside to dry on paper towels.

Salad, spinach etc., i remove from the plastic bag and re-bag it and dispose of the packaging immediately.

I change all my clothing after taking a food delivery and wash it in a hot wash.

Hope this helps
Are onions safe for some reason?

D

Deleted member 308541

Hope this helps
Seems like overkill to me... :meh:

Tannith

BANNED

Hope this helps
I would but I don't go out at all, so I don't need to. I thought I might get some crocs if ever I start going out, as you can dunk them in a tray of disinfectant water like vets do when they go onto farms where there is foot and mouth disease.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
And yet we have some of the most draconian laws imaginable in place. The wild variance in numbers by countries will be something for future historians to study.

Draconian, is a very polite way of putting it.

M

Member496333

And yet we have some of the most draconian laws imaginable in place. The wild variance in numbers by countries will be something for future historians to study.

There's apparently already data showing that countries that have just been through a summer (Australia) are experiencing less prevalence. Much like any coronavirus, it's now thought by some to be extremely seasonal. Ivor Cummins was also talking about vitamin D status, which of course is inextricably linked to the seasons. Then of course there's the preexisting metabolic status of nations before the 'outbreak'.

There's already lots of chatter and study going on. Unfortunately, all we're reading about in the mainstream is tales of bodies piling up on street corners as the four horsemen of the apocalypse continue their world tour.

Tannith

BANNED

Hope this helps
I have read that they blow gas (CO2?) into bagged salad leaves to prevent the growth of bacteria, as the leaves can harbour dangerous germs that cause food poisoning (pre covid). If you tip the salad into another bag I imagine this protection could be lost. Maybe put the whole thing into a fresh bag without breaking the original? And then open with care.

Richie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
Please do not assume that everyone is at the same level of risk from COVID-19 as you perceive yourself to be.
What's that supposed to mean???? You have absolutely NO IDEA how I perceive my level of risk.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's that supposed to mean???? You have absolutely NO IDEA how I perceive my level of risk.

It means exactly what I said.

I did not state, or imply, that I knew what you perceive your risk to be.
I simply requested that you do not judge other people as being at the same level of risk that you apply to yourself.

I was responding to this post of yours:
Seems to me that there are a lot of paranoid people on here. Yes, take precautions by all means, but come on guys, some of these threads are taking it to the extreme.

There has been quite a lot of information in the media lately about how unique our experiences and risk factors are when we develop COVID-19, so none of us can say whether other people are behaving proportionately or disproportionately to their risk, based on posts on this thread.

Last edited:

nailchewer

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
Seems like overkill to me... :meh:
Maybe, but type 2, over 70 years of age - I've got time to do these things to give myself and my family the best possible chances of getting through. Its easy when you are organised and i still get to have a good day! Hope you have a good day as well.

nailchewer

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
I have read that they blow gas (CO2?) into bagged salad leaves to prevent the growth of bacteria, as the leaves can harbour dangerous germs that cause food poisoning (pre covid). If you tip the salad into another bag I imagine this protection could be lost. Maybe put the whole thing into a fresh bag without breaking the original? And then open with care.
To be honest i tend to eat a whole bag of spinach in one sitting especially when i make chicken sagwala. I wash the salad thats going onto my plate in a sieve as i use it and sprinkle it with a good measure of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.

nailchewer

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
Are onions safe for some reason?
Not really Mr Pot but when i tried putting them into a bowl of water they went soggy. Now i just wash the outer layer and leave them out in the sun. Good point though.

Richie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
It means exactly what I said.

I did not state, or imply, that I knew what you perceive your risk to be.
I simply requested that you do not judge other people as being at the same level of risk that you apply to yourself.

I was responding to this post of yours:

There has been quite a lot of information in the media lately about how unique our experiences and risk factors are when we develop COVID-19, so none of us can say whether other people are behaving proportionately or disproportionately to their risk, based on posts on this thread.
Hang on a minute, your directly implied. You said 'Please do not assume that everyone is at the same level of risk from COVID-19 as you perceive yourself to be'. If 'yourself' is not directed at me, then what is? You do not know what level of risk I apply to myself.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hang on a minute, your directly implied. You said 'Please do not assume that everyone is at the same level of risk from COVID-19 as you perceive yourself to be'. If 'yourself' is not directed at me, then what is? You do not know what level of risk I apply to myself.

I already responded to you on this point in post #130 so won't repeat myself.

If you wish to continue this discussion with me you are welcome to do so, however the forum rules (particularly A6) request that rather than derailing a thread with a series of disagreeing posts, members take the discussion to private message.
My PM box is open, if you wish to do so.
There is a link in my signature to the forum rules if you wish to read them.