Still angry about Dx

kdhughes

I was diagnosed with T2 a year ago. Did fine at first, lost 10 lbs. Then had a major falling out with doc, and she left town. I went off track, and have stayed off track. I don’t know my numbers, and don’t want to know. I don’t acknowledge being diabetic. I joined this group, so that’s a good sign, but I still can’t face it. I am overwhelmed by all the work involved, and I don’t cook. All the shopping and meal planning is more than I can manage. I’m 73, live alone, and feel very deprived . In the past I used mostly frozen dinners. Basically, with the lockdown, I stay in bed all day waiting for it to be time for the next meal.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is so sad. I am almost 76 and I too struggle at times. I live with my husband but we shop, cook and eat separately as he eats all the things I want to but can't; crisps, chocolate, ice cream etc..

I left work when I was diagnosed at 70. I never had the time (or the inclination) to cook but I now do cook all my meals, simple things that don't take long; I would be happy to share my "recipes", if you could actually call them that, with you.

I love animals and have Arab horses and Sphynx cats so they keep me busy. Please don't stay in bed all day; so bad for you even if you didn't have diabetes;.You need to use your muscles. I got a treadmill; I don't use it as much as I should as I do get quite a bit of exercise but when I feel I have been lazy I have 10 -15 minutes on it as I struggle with my glucose but the extra exercose helps. You could get an exercise bike if you don't have room for a treadmill.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You're here, so that's a good step. Staying in bed (lockdown or not) however is anything but. You're in need of some motivation. I can certainly cook ... but I had to learn at a young age. You're in the States and you know the carbs (sugars) associated with frozen dinners so you have to start (by the sounds of it) from scratch. You can turn it around if you're serious and heed the advice given here.

Being blunt, the denial of your numbers is not doing you any favours as you don't know the start point or your own intended goal. It's not work per se, but just discipline.

So start asking questions ... they will be answered :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I understand the horrible feelings that come with the diagnosis. When I was diagnosed I was angry and sad. I wanted to be able to deny it. Particularly when I realised that I would have to give up (or nearly) carbs. I love carbs. My diet was very very carb heavy. Now I stick to less than 20 grams a day. I don't enjoy the food a lot but my blood sugars are under control and to be honest the cravings have dramatically reduced. Am I sad at work when there is cake- you bet but the complications of diabetes are worse so that is my motivation.

Having said that it really sounds like you are not in a good place mentally so that will make it harder. My suggestions is to take one step at a time and eventually you will get there. My suggestion for the first step is to get a meter and start testing. If that sounds too hard start with one meal a day and go low carb. I don't really enjoy cooking but you could start with bacon and eggs no toast for breakfast. That has very low carbs and is easy to cook. There are some other things that are easy to cook. If you really don't want to cook some hard cheese with very low carb 'crackers' can be something you eat. Here in Australia we have some that are just 1 gram of carb per 100 grams. Not like really crackers but something. Also consider things like diet jelly which can help with cravings.

I would like to suggest that you try to spend a little while every day going outside briefly- on a verandah or something. A bit of sunshine will also help. Spending the day in bed won't help either your mood or your blood sugar levels.

Good luck- here we can understand the emotional toll of the diagnosis but you will see if you read around people who have turned their life around because of the advice on this site- that could be you one day and how great would that be. You can vent here and ask for information and advice.

Keep reading and take baby steps.

Reactions: Bea56

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T2 a year ago. Did fine at first, lost 10 lbs. Then had a major falling out with doc, and she left town. I went off track, and have stayed off track. I don’t know my numbers, and don’t want to know. I don’t acknowledge being diabetic. I joined this group, so that’s a good sign, but I still can’t face it. I am overwhelmed by all the work involved, and I don’t cook. All the shopping and meal planning is more than I can manage. I’m 73, live alone, and feel very deprived . In the past I used mostly frozen dinners. Basically, with the lockdown, I stay in bed all day waiting for it to be time for the next meal.

Hi there, you sound more depressed than anything else. Is it possible you could seek some support for that first?, it's easy to say do this and that about your health but I'm not sure it's that easy when you are down. It's not much comfort but there's a little corner of the UK sending you love & mental support. x

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Massive hug to you.

It is indeed overwhelming at first. Once you have educated yourself it becomes second nature.

What sort of things do you enjoy eating? Are you up for a little time in the kitchen?

If you have any anger, channel it, you don't need to let T2 beat you. You can take charge. Get yourself a meter and start testing. Are you in the States?

Andy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fashion, consumerism, following the crowd, large crowds.
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear that you are not doing so well. But...the thing is staying like this will make you feel worse. I too have been recently diagnosed and I lost weight and was no longer Diabetic. And then like you I put on weight again and I became really scared because I noticed that I couldn't loose weight, even when on a diet. So I started to focus on a low carb diet and it really works. What's probably more important is that you will start to feel better. You WILL come out of the fear. Taking action will help you get better; emotionally and physically. I too get depressed, particularly now during lockdown. And yes its frustrating and confusing. So hang in there, start testing, and don't let those ready meals into your house!!!