New research out RE Type 1 and Type Covina-19 risk

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What does it mean what’s the mortality rate for 40 years old with hb1ac around 6 does it shed any light on this ???

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks like the study relates to in hospital deaths, so has looked only at those who developed symptoms serious enough to be admitted to hospital, not at overall risk.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a very interesting read as was Parthas summary on Twitter. It still leaves lots of questions, but it is the first big tentative health study to come out of Covid and well done to all the diabetes personnel who have worked hard to get this out so quickly after last weeks depressing announcement re diabetes related deaths.
It is interesting that too tight control and low BMI are just as bad as hypoglycaemia and obesity. I suspect that is if tight control is achieved with too many hypos.
What is good news is there have been no recorded deaths of anyone with type 1 under the age of 20 and a very low rate for 20-40 year olds. As with all things Covid related the risk becomes worse the older you are.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks like the study relates to in hospital deaths, so has looked only at those who developed symptoms serious enough to be admitted to hospital, not at overall risk.

Yes, and we all know how difficult it is to maintain blood glucose control when ill, with an infection, and in hospital.
Add in the other aspects of COVID-19 and I would imagine that expecting hospital staff to treat COVID as well as checking blood glucose and medicating appropriately, possibly with a ventilator and drip, must be a huge challenge.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty_Sweetbread

Jamie H

What does it mean what’s the mortality rate for 40 years old with hb1ac around 6 does it shed any light on this ???
Not explicitly... Unless you're a whiz at hazard ratios, which I'm not. But it more or less says its very low!

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
Anyone just read this. In the Guardian today that if you are type 1 and get Covid19 you are 3. 5 times more likely to die than a type 2 who is twice as likely.
At least there is some separation at last.
Stay safe

Jamie H

Hi there
Anyone just read this. In the Guardian today that if you are type 1 and get Covid19 you are 3. 5 times more likely to die than a type 2 who is twice as likely.
Stay safe
I'd advise reading the paper rather than the takeaways from the article. Not saying what you've stated is incorrect but it puts those figures into some context.

Reactions: Mike d

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd advise reading the paper rather than the takeaways from the article. Not saying what you've stated is incorrect but it puts those figures into some context.
Actually Jamie
I did read the whole of the article but short of stating at length what we already know about other underlying conditions etc.
I just wished to raise the point that at last someone has separated type 1 from type 2 diabetes.

Jamie H

Actually Jamie
I did read the whole of the article but short of stating at length what we already know about other underlying conditions etc.
I just wished to raise the point that at last someone has separated type 1 from type 2 diabetes.
In that case my apologies. My tone wasn't intended to be short. Text can often misrepresent. It was just more a criticism of newspapers and their headlines sometimes!

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In that case my apologies. My tone wasn't intended to be short. Text can often misrepresent. It was just more a criticism of newspapers and their headlines sometimes!
Thanks Jamie
I couldn't agree more with you. I am not one for ever normally quoting a newspaper.
Stay safe

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I note that whenever some 'new' article is published in relation to this, there is a lot of 'well, what about' and sometimes denial of ANY extra risk that may be present as someone with diabetes, etc. There is no way every single question can be answered as to the risks (whether diabetes or any other condition) but I think it's fair to say they have established that having diabetes makes the general risk higher. Of course those with good management are likely to be at less risk but that doesn't take away the fact their risk is still very likely (but certainly not inevitable) to be higher than a person exactly the same as them but without diabetes. It's hardly a new concept after all, that's why we have the flu jab and regular check ups on feet, eyes, kidneys, liver etc, why would this particular strain be any different?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish folk
Actually Jamie
I'm totally disappointed with the Guardian on this - i feel like its such scare mongering with little analysis on the data. And people with T1 left feeling just as confused as before... I'm glad i've read the latest report posted at the top f this thread - thanks for posting

Jamie H

I note that whenever some 'new' article is published in relation to this, there is a lot of 'well, what about' and sometimes denial of ANY extra risk that may be present as someone with diabetes, etc. There is no way every single question can be answered as to the risks (whether diabetes or any other condition) but I think it's fair to say they have established that having diabetes makes the general risk higher. Of course those with good management are likely to be at less risk but that doesn't take away the fact their risk is still very likely (but certainly not inevitable) to be higher than a person exactly the same as them but without diabetes. It's hardly a new concept after all, that's why we have the flu jab and regular check ups on feet, eyes, kidneys, liver etc, why would this particular strain be any different?
Agreed but I think it needs to be established that the overall risk in some groups is small... Not non existent. Eg if I am under 20 my risk may be 3.5 times that of someone under 20 without diabetes but that is 3.5 times an already very very small number.. So much so that no deaths have been recorded in diabetics under 20 years of age.

Media need to place it into context. Not everyone will be using forums such as this or delving into the depths of a medical report.

Howard100

I have type 2 but also use insulin twice a day. My brother was not diabetic and yet died of Covid - 19 while I, who was in contact with him for 3 hours before an ambulance arrived, have not, as far as I know, had any symptoms at all.

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
Stay safe

so I keep hearing that the percentage of diabetes and Covid deaths is upto a third! If that is the case, why have we not been shielded with the other people who got the letters from the nhs stating they should be shielded for the 12 weeks?! My hba1c is 8 at the minute so not great, I’ve still carried on working (pharmacy) with some moderations such as little face to face contact with patients etc but that can’t always be avoided when you are short staffed! There will be a lot of people like me, but I just feel like diabetics as a whole have not been shielded as much as I personally think we should have been. Just wanted others thoughts on this! STAY SAFE

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed but I think it needs to be established that the overall risk in some groups is small... Not non existent. Eg if I am under 20 my risk may be 3.5 times that of someone under 20 without diabetes but that is 3.5 times an already very very small number.. So much so that no deaths have been recorded in diabetics under 20 years of age.

Media need to place it into context. Not everyone will be using forums such as this or delving into the depths of a medical report.

I definitely agree with everything you've said but my point is at its lowest level, what they are saying is correct, if you have diabetes you are more at risk. The media really do need to provide some context but listening to a news report about type 1 & type 2 diabetes I suspect that will never happen. They are all about the headline grabber and provided a report that showed the headline 'Type 2 equals overweight/exercise/diet' accompanied by a pic of a lady who must have been 30 stone and 'type 1s get it in childhood'. Now THAT's wrong. My concern now of course is that there will be a lot of talk about diabetes world wide and a lot of negative stereotyping. x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Like most things T1, a lot of it is left to us. I allowed myself to seethe a little that someone of 70 (me), who has lived with T1 for fifty years, was not on the shielding list. On reflection, I realise that it was because despite all the stats from Wuhan, I was seething because I felt that analyses were incomplete, and that I didn’t matter.
After a giving myself a good talking to I decided that rigorous cleansing of anything that came into the house would possibly ward off the virus, that I was lucky to get out for the sanity of walking in woodland, that it was good to have distanced chats with fellow walkers and that the virus was, or was not going to disappear. I’d hate to be in a group that’s long term shielding.
I don’t think we’ll really know how different groups are affected until there’s been an international study; the papers have been peer reviewed, and we know more about the different parameters that create vulnerability.
As a final point, I do wonder what the mutations will be like.

Reactions: DJTT1