Considering a pump

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

My diabetes has always been self managed, monitored annually at the GP clinic. I requested a freestyle so was referred to the hospital clinic.

What a revelation, switched on knowledgeable staff, things have certainly moved on in the last 20yrs!

Anyhoo, I was approved for the libre cgm system, a couple of blips but confident with the system. Much better control tweaking and adjusting, now I understand how different things effect me.

The doc suggested I try a pump, I didn't sign up straight away, preferring one change at a time, she seemed very enthusiastic.

When I spoke to one of the nurses at the clinic (remote monitoring ) she didn't seem so convinced it was a good idea. And thought I was doing OK without.

I'm reading sugars 25-30 times a day, and constantly adjusting, rather than my previous regime of just running a bit high. I live an active outdoorsy lifestyle so always concerned re hypos, and not particularly hypo aware.

What are your thoughts to pump or not to pump?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
The main advantages of a pump is the flexibility it offers
Imagine having different basal profiles for work days , weekends , for when you are strenuously exercising

Imagine much more precise bolus dosing for meals -- my pump offers 0.05u increments

If you have any issues with dawn phenomenon ( I do ) your pump basal settings can be tailored to stop the early morning rise happening

Pumping isn't for everyone -- it does take a lot of effort in the first few weeks to get all the settings adjusted to suit you
I can recommend pumping !!

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did the nurse say why she didn’t seem so convinced? I would have thought it might be more a case of how much better you could be with a pump. It might be possible to ask them for a pump trial.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did the nurse say why she didn’t seem so convinced? I would have thought it might be more a case of how much better you could be with a pump. It might be possible to ask them for a pump trial.
Though do remember just because you could do better with one doesn't mean you'll get one (at least in the UK), they are not cheap and many CCGs don't approve many, and you have to hit various criteria to get one

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies.

The nurse said you're doing fine, good results, keep as you are.

The doc (clinic pump tzar apparently ) suggested it, she would be having to sign it off. Made it seem like a done deal. I haven't spoken to her since starting with the libre, so could do with a review.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Richard F I was same as you doing large numbers of finger tests and in effect sugar surfing using a pen. I still had issues with overnight BG's and dawn too. It took me some years to move to pump after first offered, 5-8 years, but eventually took the jump and never regretted it. As mentioned by @himtoo there is work to do in the first 2-3 months to get it operating correctly for you but its worth it.

Have you asked for a CGM, Dexcom or Libre to help with the BG monitoring ?.

Reactions: himtoo