returning to work

taylor5491

Evening, am currently on furlough with my employer. They are gradually starting to unfurlough staff, however have been told I wont be one as I have diabetes and am classed as "vulnerable". Firstly I was told that I was unfurloughed then a less than 24 hours later they said they can't give me a date where I would be allowed back to work even though I have never been given a shielding letter and it was fine for me to work for them before the lockdown! Plus I know people with other conditions that come under the vulnerable category who have been unfurloughed. Advice please???

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
should prob say i'm type 2, have always only taken minimal sick off work (maybe 5 days since i was first diagnosed in 2013)

@taylor5491 - Have you actually told them you want to go back?

Is your workplace a hazardous environment or any sort?

taylor5491

Yes I was asked initially and said yes I wanted to go back. Then within 24 hours I was told that due to government advice I was not allowed to return. I wouldn't class it as hazardous, plenty of precautions are being made in regards to adhering to social distancing etc. I've never told them that I was concerned or wanted to shield even before lockdown.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I was asked initially and said yes I wanted to go back. Then within 24 hours I was told that due to government advice I was not allowed to return. I wouldn't class it as hazardous, plenty of precautions are being made in regards to adhering to social distancing etc. I've never told them that I was concerned or wanted to shield even before lockdown.

Perhaps, even if only from your peace of mind you could ask them what they are making their decision upon.

It could be the recent report that something like 25% of deaths where COVID is recorded, the deceased also had diabetes. That information, in the form it was delivered was pretty meaningless, but it could have made them very cautious.

Very frustrating for you, if you are willing and ready to go back.

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Contact diabetes uk they sent me a long email with advice. Ultimately we need the government to help us. Especially now its 33% n not 26%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-170004_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200520-170004_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 302