Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand the 'People with type 1 diabetes, which is usually diagnosed in childhood, tend to be younger than those with type 2.' statement in The Guardian. Surely there are lots of type 1 diabetics.....we do manage to live long lives!
Type 2 diabetes tends to develop with age so if you take a sample of both types there will be a higher percentage of the young amongst the type 1 group.

Reactions: bobandpat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
very low Hb1Ac is slightly worse than 49 to 53.

No.. if sub 48 HbA1c was more risky then surely more of the general pop with HbA1c of sub 48 would be more at risk than those with "low grade" T2 which I don't think you mean or maybe you do?
Where would that leave me for example with an HbA1c of 27 mmol/m?

Reactions: Lupf

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I am probably wrong but I suspect that many older people, say over 75, with T2 diabetes are from a protocol where drug dependence was considered the only way to "treat" diabetes. With the low carb diet promoted on this forum I hope to live well beyond my mid-seventies with little or no drug support and with or without any virus. I think more research is needed in to the long term effects of diabetic drugs including insulin. I have heard of research that indicates a long term dependency on drugs can result in an impaired immune system. That, combined with the possible reducing efficiency of our immune systems as we age, could result in a higher than average % of deaths among diabetics with any virus infection.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just listened to a diabetic consultant on Sky news who said Type1 Diabetics over 40 more at risk than Type 2 Diabetics, not what we led to believe earlier on, as a Type 1 of 53 years and in good health I'm concerned .

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Just listened to a diabetic consultant on Sky news who said Type1 Diabetics over 40 more at risk than Type 2 Diabetics, not what we led to believe earlier on, as a Type 1 of 53 years and in good health I'm concerned .
Sky news and any news channel need sit up headlines.....just follow the rules are keep yourself safe doing the right things and we should be fine. I'm type 2 and 51 yr old but have decent bs levels so just staying positive and remember we could be only months away from a game changing vaccine

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
although at age 70 my understanding is that you are in the Extremely Vulnerable list and should be rigorously socially distancing already).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing

over 70’s are vulnerable not extremely vulnerable (Wording has changed a few time’s but never grouping) and need to be rigorously socially distancing not shielding as the latter group are - unless there are other considerations of course.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all the good data scientist ppl plz try to help me I don’t understand this so what’s the mortality rate for some one who is 40 type 2 and hb1ac of 6.2 is it 1.11 or 3% sorry I asked this question previously but I believe these are two nee studies so what is MR according to this ?

jane1950

This makes sense when the age group is applied. Context is everything.
So with diabetes which isnt well controlled and being 70, with stage 2 hypertension, I suppose my chances could be slightly worse than someone with just type 1 diabetes which is well controlled and without hypertension

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So what if covid MR is 3 then it means my risk as type 2 40 yr old is 4% ? Or still it’s 1.11????

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all the good data scientist ppl plz try to help me I don’t understand this so what’s the mortality rate for some one who is 40 type 2 and hb1ac of 6.2 is it 1.11 or 3% sorry I asked this question previously but I believe these are two nee studies so what is MR according to this ?

You are a young male in a country that so far has only had 985 deaths from COVID.. get out in the sun eat well and keep your blood sugars well under control and you'll be fine.
Stop stressing about risk ratio.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are a young male in a country that so far has only had 985 deaths from COVID.. get out in the sun eat well and keep your blood sugars well under control and you'll be fine.
Stop stressing about risk ratio.

Thank you just trying to understand the risk sir Because I understand before this study the risk was low now it say 1.11 but the scientist here twice as likely to die as someone without type 2 so it’s totally different imho I hope u understand where I’m coming from the mortality rate of covid is different some are quite high

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am probably wrong but I suspect that many older people, say over 75, with T2 diabetes are from a protocol where drug dependence was considered the only way to "treat" diabetes. With the low carb diet promoted on this forum I hope to live well beyond my mid-seventies with little or no drug support and with or without any virus. I think more research is needed in to the long term effects of diabetic drugs including insulin. I have heard of research that indicates a long term dependency on drugs can result in an impaired immune system. That, combined with the possible reducing efficiency of our immune systems as we age, could result in a higher than average % of deaths among diabetics with any virus infection.
In addition they are the generation that were probably prescribed statins which are known to cause diabetes in some patients

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No.. if sub 48 HbA1c was more risky then surely more of the general pop with HbA1c of sub 48 would be more at risk than those with "low grade" T2 which I don't think you mean or maybe you do?
Where would that leave me for example with an HbA1c of 27 mmol/m?
I am only quoting the numbers from the paper. I found this result surprising, too, but the ratio of deaths over number of people diagnosed with HbA1c < 48 mmol/l is indeed larger than for people with HbA1c in the range 49 and 53 mmol/l The paper does not say anything about this, which I found strange, too.

As an aside, there is a similar effect for BMI where the risk is lower for the range 25 - 29 than for BMI < 25. Here the paper makes comments: "In this population of people with diabetes, there was a U- shaped relationship with body mass index."
"The higher risk seen in people with lower BMI could be linked to the effect of confounding by factors that are associated with weight loss which have either not been considered in our analysis."

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand the 'People with type 1 diabetes, which is usually diagnosed in childhood, tend to be younger than those with type 2.' statement in The Guardian. Surely there are lots of type 1 diabetics.....we do manage to live long lives!
This is said in the paper: The average age to people diagnosed with T1s is 47 years, whereas it is 68 years for people diagnosed with T2.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is said in the paper: The average age to people diagnosed with T1s is 47 years, whereas it is 68 years for people diagnosed with T2.
Surely the average age of T1 diagnosis is less than 47, I have seen 14 quoted as the peak for diagnosis.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely the average age of T1 diagnosis is less than 47, I have seen 14 quoted as the peak for diagnosis.
Is this a misunderstanding? This is not the age of diagnosis, but the current average age of people living with T1. Here is the exact sentence in the paper:
"The cohort analysis included 265,090 people with Type 1 diabetes and 2,889,210 people with Type 2 diabetes. The mean age of those with Type 1 diabetes was 46.7 years, where as those with Type 2 diabetes were on average 67·6 years old."
To me this is very plausible.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this a misunderstanding? This is not the age of diagnosis, but the current average age of people living with T1. Here is the exact sentence in the paper:
"The cohort analysis included 265,090 people with Type 1 diabetes and 2,889,210 people with Type 2 diabetes. The mean age of those with Type 1 diabetes was 46.7 years, where as those with Type 2 diabetes were on average 67·6 years old."
To me this is very plausible.
Agreed but your quote was in response to @bobandpat 's post which confused me.