Hot tub use causing major issues any tips?

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks I got a inflatable hot tub for my 40th birthday and to use after work to relax in this current climate.

I have been only using for an hour to 2 hours max each time and I’ve been giving myself 2-3 units of insulin then obviously disconnecting my pump but my blood sugar has still been around 15 -18 for the rest of the evening and it’s becoming a real issue, I really enjoy my time in the hot tub but it’s not worth the constant highs after.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice with regards to hot tub use? Should I maybe do a temp basal afterwards for afew hrs? I am surprised as I would of thought the heat would of lowered my bs like it does in warmer climates

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Nometype1andproud How long are you running high for and are you correcting ?

I like a hot bath but the down side is that my BG levels run really high for an hour or so afterwards so mid teens, I don’t bother correcting as they come back down again however unsure what this is a result of, however they return to normal a few hours afterwards so I don’t tend to panic.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Nometype1andproud How long are you running high for and are you correcting ?

I like a hot bath but the down side is that my BG levels run really high for an hour or so afterwards so mid teens, I don’t bother correcting as they come back down again however unsure what this is a result of, however they return to normal a few hours afterwards so I don’t tend to panic.
Hi ya all evening I correct as soon as I come out but it just doesn’t seem to go back down I’ve got the libre so can see it just sits at around 15-18 on the evenings that I go in

Bobr17

Hi all,
Anything like a hot bath where my BG runs high afterwards I put what the correction would be eg 4 units for an estimated high of 18 in before I get into the bath and just keep an eye on BG at 15 minutes intervals so, if going high, I would inset the pump and give a correction? That 15 minutes checking BG would, carry in until it is sorted? Don't know if that is in any manuals but, it seems to lessen the high and spits the lows?
Regards, Bobr17.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I think a lot will depend on the temperature you have the tub at, and the length of time you use it for.

You mention using it for 1-2 hours at a time.
The hot tub in my local gym has a large (no, actually a HUGE) sign over it saying that people should not use the hot tub for more than 20 mins at a time. I can only assume that they have done this for a reason, and probably as an attempt to cover themselves if people are in for too long at too high a heat.

Are you also aware that the Libre is not supposed to be submerged for more than 30 mins at a time (of course you may make an effort to keep it out of the water) and that the Libre has an upper temperature limit, above which it becomes unreliable? Not sure what the temperature is, but it is somewhere in the online literature, and is around 40 degrees, I think... but it is a while since I looked it up.

My experience of hot tubs is that they lower my insulin resistance as mentioned here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2008/may/diabetes-hot-tub-therapy.html
but this article is intended for T2s, so may not be relevant to you.

This article gives a bald statement that T1s should not use hot tubs at all - but gives no references, which is frustrating.
Then it goes on to say that T2s should seek medical advice before use, and take precautions.
https://rhtubs.com/resources/type-2-diabetes-hot-tub-therapy/

As you can tell, it is a subject I am interested in. :D We got a small 1 person hot tub a couple of years ago, specifically to help my joint aches and pains, so I use it quite a lot, but I have learned that my time limit is around 30-40 mins at 38 degrees, much less at 40 degrees, and that my bp and bg are both affected for the duration of the tubbing. I have also adopted an arm-over-the-side posture when wearing a Libre.

Hope that helps.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I think a lot will depend on the temperature you have the tub at, and the length of time you use it for.

You mention using it for 1-2 hours at a time.
The hot tub in my local gym has a large (no, actually a HUGE) sign over it saying that people should not use the hot tub for more than 20 mins at a time. I can only assume that they have done this for a reason, and probably as an attempt to cover themselves if people are in for too long at too high a heat.

Are you also aware that the Libre is not supposed to be submerged for more than 30 mins at a time (of course you may make an effort to keep it out of the water) and that the Libre has an upper temperature limit, above which it becomes unreliable? Not sure what the temperature is, but it is somewhere in the online literature, and is around 40 degrees, I think... but it is a while since I looked it up.

My experience of hot tubs is that they lower my insulin resistance as mentioned here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2008/may/diabetes-hot-tub-therapy.html
but this article is intended for T2s, so may not be relevant to you.

This article gives a bald statement that T1s should not use hot tubs at all - but gives no references, which is frustrating.
Then it goes on to say that T2s should seek medical advice before use, and take precautions.
https://rhtubs.com/resources/type-2-diabetes-hot-tub-therapy/

As you can tell, it is a subject I am interested in. :D We got a small 1 person hot tub a couple of years ago, specifically to help my joint aches and pains, so I use it quite a lot, but I have learned that my time limit is around 30-40 mins at 38 degrees, much less at 40 degrees, and that my bp and bg are both affected for the duration of the tubbing. I have also adopted an arm-over-the-side posture when wearing a Libre.

Hope that helps.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too take the libre sensor arm out of the water stance

I did wonder if it was the length of time I’m in there for, but most articles I have read indicate heat usually drops blood sugar.

I’ll keep an eye and maybe try and do it for shorter bursts to see if this makes any difference

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Anything like a hot bath where my BG runs high afterwards I put what the correction would be eg 4 units for an estimated high of 18 in before I get into the bath and just keep an eye on BG at 15 minutes intervals so, if going high, I would inset the pump and give a correction? That 15 minutes checking BG would, carry in until it is sorted? Don't know if that is in any manuals but, it seems to lessen the high and spits the lows?
Regards, Bobr17.

thanks I’ll have a go at scanning say every 15 mins to see if I can catch when it starts to go, I pumped 4 units prior to going in the other night and it did help

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You mention your quite high when you go into the tub, 15 to 18, are you able to try going in at a lower level (maybe eat after the hot tub - if that's causing the high). I've found some forms of exercise cause BG's to rise if they are high when I start, maybe the hot tub is causing same for you so you might need more insulin to bring you down.