New research out RE Type 1 and Type Covina-19 risk

jane1950

What does it mean what’s the mortality rate for 40 years old with hb1ac around 6 does it shed any light on this ???
what would it mean for a type 1 diabetic with quite high bg levels 4 or 5 times a day, although it drops occasionaly, with stage 2 hypertension who is 70

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Hi there
Anyone just read this. In the Guardian today that if you are type 1 and get Covid19 you are 3. 5 times more likely to die than a type 2 who is twice as likely.
At least there is some separation at last.
Stay safe

That was on the mainstream news too (ITN).

The 3.5 number is quite shocking. It's almost DOUBLE the BAME figure everyone is constantly going on about. :wideyed:

Reactions: oldgreymare

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there
Anyone just read this. In the Guardian today that if you are type 1 and get Covid19 you are 3. 5 times more likely to die than a type 2 who is twice as likely.
At least there is some separation at last.
Stay safe
Sorry but just to clarify type 1 is 3.5 times a non diabetic. Type 2 is Twice the risk of a non diabetic. Separate risks. Rather than type 1 being 7 times a non diabetic as your statement implies.

But yes your point that separation is finally identified is good. Don’t forget this is not the full picture, other factors raise and importantly lower risks too. Age, gender, control, comorbidities etc. Be as healthy as you can control, take precautions as sensible as possible relevant to your risk.

Stay well

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the risk rates differing is hardly surprising as they're two completely different medical conditions, and although being 3x more likely to die than a type zero :p isn't a pleasant thought there's still the 'hazard ratio' to factor in on an individual basis.

So it's not all doom and gloom and a timely reminder to 'stay alert'....

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Sorry but just to clarify type 1 is 3.5 times a non diabetic. Type 2 is Twice the risk of a non diabetic. Separate risks. Rather than type 1 being 7 times a non diabetic as your statement implies.

But yes your point that separation is finally identified is good. Don’t forget this is not the full picture, other factors raise and importantly lower risks too. Age, gender, control, comorbidities etc. Be as healthy as you can control, take precautions as sensible as possible relevant to your risk.

Stay well
And do all the things you really want to do before you get old! Said by an oldie.

Reactions: HSSS

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The 3.5 number is quite shocking. It's almost DOUBLE the BAME figure everyone is constantly going on about. :wideyed:

Two totally different things. Just because one issue is being spoken about quite rightly (rather than 'going on about'), doesn't mean another issue (diabetics) is either more or less important. Both these and other idiosyncrasy's need investigating. I can understand to a large extent why diabetics are several times more likely to die (to do with their wonky immune systems maybe) but why are those from the BAME groups more likely to?, it's odd and THAT is why they are 'constantly going on about it'. I have diabetes and I come from that group so it's of interest to me.

Reactions: mooshk

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think you will find that those affected by the BAME risk factor AND the Diabetic risk factors, AND the other co-morbidities, including age, will be finding it very useful that the subject is getting a high profile in the media.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you will find that those affected by the BAME risk factor AND the Diabetic risk factors, AND the other co-morbidities, including age, will be finding it very useful that the subject is getting a high profile in the media.

I agree, it seems that some of those BAME dying had underlying conditions but many did not. It's that aspect that is worrying, it would appear that those without medical issues are still dying more than non BAME counterparts. x