New to Diabetes co uk

Robcameron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

My name is Robert, a Chef aged 43 and have been diagnosed with Type 2 for 3 years.
Medication - Janumet 50mg & tresiba 30 Units - down 10 units

I'm currently using the Free style libre. Which for me is a fantastic unit to really get control on your numbers.

My A1C is 6.3 % ( 45mmol/mol ) this was probably at around 9 - 2 weeks ago
My fasting levels is about 4.7 - This also was probably sitting around 20 - 2 weeks ago

What's changed,....! I guess when the lockdown happened that changed for me. As a chef I'm always pushed for time, I could go weeks without taking medication.
I started researching, how to get rid of this disease. ( IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE )

Most of my research lead me to Intermittent fasting & a keto diet
Breakfast 12:00pm
Dinner 5pm
18 hours of fasting, I do keep nut beside me at all times

My diet
Breakfast, scrambled eggs, with loads of veg, bacon cooked in coconut oil
Dinner, sweet potatoes, loads of veg and a protein of some sort
Snack - Cashew nuts

IMG_7536.jpg IMG_7557.jpg IMG_7566.jpg IMG_7636.jpg IMG_7671.jpg IMG_7700.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Add the supplement called berberine in mate it’s aids the stabilisation of blood glucose levels as well as many other benefits.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The libre is a great piece of kit to show you what’s happening in response to different foods isn’t it? You stick with keto and there’s a chance you might not need insulin at all soon.

Sweet potatoes aren’t keto really though ( almost as many carbs as normal ones ) and there are better options in the nut front than cashews. Eg Brazil’s, almonds macadamia

Reactions: Robcameron

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my libre too. Fantastic invention.

Is this the diet you have everyday? It reads that way. If so I agree with the others, the sweet potatoes are doing you no favours.

Also the cashew nuts. Very carby. I love nuts too but am careful which I eat.

Diet doctor is a great site:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

Reactions: Goonergal

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree that sweet potatoes aren't part of a keto diet and I'd also be interested in what other veg you are eating as some have more carbs than you think.

Having said that bringing your fasting levels down is great and the improvement in the HbA1c is good too.

If you are a chef LCHF might be easier for you then others as you may already be more aware of neutron content of different foods.

Welcome.

Kammo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello and welcome,

I agree that sweet potatoes aren't part of a keto diet and I'd also be interested in what other veg you are eating as some have more carbs than you think.

Having said that bringing your fasting levels down is great and the improvement in the HbA1c is good too.

If you are a chef LCHF might be easier for you then others as you may already be more aware of neutron content of different foods.

Welcome.

This site is a con. They exist to make money by charging 25% to 50% more than market velour your diabetic products which all UK diabetics are entitled to free on the NHS or, if not free them much cheaper than this lot of crooks sell them for, Check on Amazon to see how much they are ripping you off. Also, the big stupid giveaway is that they make their MSN’s as close as possible to the charity Diabetes UK yo make suckers believe they are somehow official or decent or genuine.

Advice? Walk away.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This site has probably saved my life- certainly saved my sanity. I live in Australia and can say that my diabetes is under control thanks to this site. You don't have to be here if you don't want to but I want to so if not interested walk away.

Reactions: ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This site is a con. They exist to make money by charging 25% to 50% more than market velour your diabetic products which all UK diabetics are entitled to free on the NHS or, if not free them much cheaper than this lot of crooks sell them for, Check on Amazon to see how much they are ripping you off. Also, the big stupid giveaway is that they make their MSN’s as close as possible to the charity Diabetes UK yo make suckers believe they are somehow official or decent or genuine.

Advice? Walk away.
I haven't paid a penny on here. A lot of us have to self-fund, gear being unavailable to us via NHS, and I got a lot of absolutely free advice, help and support on this forum. You're quite free to walk away though. I'll just stay here with my friends.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

My name is Robert, a Chef aged 43 and have been diagnosed with Type 2 for 3 years.
Medication - Janumet 50mg & tresiba 30 Units - down 10 units

I'm currently using the Free style libre. Which for me is a fantastic unit to really get control on your numbers.

My A1C is 6.3 % ( 45mmol/mol ) this was probably at around 9 - 2 weeks ago
My fasting levels is about 4.7 - This also was probably sitting around 20 - 2 weeks ago

What's changed,....! I guess when the lockdown happened that changed for me. As a chef I'm always pushed for time, I could go weeks without taking medication.
I started researching, how to get rid of this disease. ( IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE )

Most of my research lead me to Intermittent fasting & a keto diet
Breakfast 12:00pm
Dinner 5pm
18 hours of fasting, I do keep nut beside me at all times

My diet
Breakfast, scrambled eggs, with loads of veg, bacon cooked in coconut oil
Dinner, sweet potatoes, loads of veg and a protein of some sort
Snack - Cashew nuts

View attachment 41507 View attachment 41510 View attachment 41511 View attachment 41512 View attachment 41514 View attachment 41516
Sweet potatoes and cashews are too high in carbs for me, but if they're working for you, that's great! Congrats on improving your blood sugars!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Advice? Walk away.
Evidence please.

Robcameron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The libre is a great piece of kit to show you what’s happening in response to different foods isn’t it? You stick with keto and there’s a chance you might not need insulin at all soon.

Sweet potatoes aren’t keto really though ( almost as many carbs as normal ones ) and there are better options in the nut front than cashews. Eg Brazil’s, almonds macadamia

Thanks, Mike, I'm completely new at this and probably getting things wrong... bare with me ... :))

Robcameron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sweet potatoes and cashews are too high in carbs for me, but if they're working for you, that's great! Congrats on improving your blood sugars!
Can i ask, what you would have instead of the sweet potatoes.. ?

Robcameron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Your correct, i will look at changing that from Sunday as i have a few sweet potatoes to use up

Much appreciated for the advice

Robcameron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love my libre too. Fantastic invention.

Is this the diet you have everyday? It reads that way. If so I agree with the others, the sweet potatoes are doing you no favours.

Also the cashew nuts. Very carby. I love nuts too but am careful which I eat.

Diet doctor is a great site:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

Your are all correct, i have miss read my articles. This SHALL change from Sunday when i do my next shopping

Reactions: Debandez

Robcameron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome,

Welcome.

I agree with my information about carbs in sweet potatoes was wrong... !! DONT LISTEN TO ME. This will change from Sunday when i do my next shopping.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can i ask, what you would have instead of the sweet potatoes.. ?
I don't do potatoes at all. Usually I go for either cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, (with bacon and cheese, and whatever herbs and spices I feel like tossing in). The fats I add make it filling, so that replaces the carbs in that respect. Some people here work with celeriac, but I'm a little intimidated by my kitchen, so I tend to work with what I know. ;)