Type 1 Dexcom g6

Martaps

Hi all hope your keeping safe, I would like to ask if anyone here using dexcom g6 who could help me please? I’ve been using it for 2 weeks, this is the second sensor I am using and the first was alright but this second is giving me wrong readings. Anybody with the same issue? I don’t know if there is anything I should do when I re insert the new sensor but I did calibrate today almost 4 times and still, worried if I calibrate it too much the sensor will get crazy. Thank you so much for your help

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Martaps

I have been using the G6 for 2 years now, during the first 24 hours the sensor is settling in so the readings can be off the mark, bearing in mind also that it’s measuring interstitial fluid and so will be behind your meter too.

I have never in this time had a rogue sensor though, my only issue is they are prone to coming lose towards the end of the 10 days, but after it’s settled in the accuracy is pretty good, except during periods where your levels might be moving at a faster pace say for instance during exercise

Reactions: Martaps

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
HI @Martaps

When you say wrong readings, what do you mean? None? A bit / a lot too low / too high? Wildly up and down every few minutes? Was it ever right? How long have you had it in for?

Each sensor has it's own code that needs to be entered on set-up, was that done correctly?
This caught me out first time I used G6 two years ago - and again once more recently - but make sure the transmitter is fully clicked in / seated in the sensor.

I've never had to manually calibrate a G6, but if I were to do so I would do it as a time your blood sugars are relatively stable eg 5 hours after taking short acting insulin, when you've not eaten / exercised. As above it measures the interstitional fluid not blood glucose, so lags. If you calibrate in a stable moment when your blood sugar is flat it will give it a better chance to adapt and get a good fix.

Alternately, if nothing works, then contact Dexcom Customer Support, they might have more ideas, but are very good and will send you a replacement. Keep the broken one and return to them, helps them diagnose issue and improve the product for all.

Reactions: Martaps

Martaps

Hi @Martaps

I have been using the G6 for 2 years now, during the first 24 hours the sensor is settling in so the readings can be off the mark, bearing in mind also that it’s measuring interstitial fluid and so will be behind your meter too.

I have never in this time had a rogue sensor though, my only issue is they are prone to coming lose towards the end of the 10 days, but after it’s settled in the accuracy is pretty good, except during periods where your levels might be moving at a faster pace say for instance during exercise

Thank you so much for your help, I contacted dexcom at the end and they sent a new one. There was definitely something wrong with it. Appreciate your help a lot.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Martaps

HI @Martaps

When you say wrong readings, what do you mean? None? A bit / a lot too low / too high? Wildly up and down every few minutes? Was it ever right? How long have you had it in for?

Each sensor has it's own code that needs to be entered on set-up, was that done correctly?
This caught me out first time I used G6 two years ago - and again once more recently - but make sure the transmitter is fully clicked in / seated in the sensor.

I've never had to manually calibrate a G6, but if I were to do so I would do it as a time your blood sugars are relatively stable eg 5 hours after taking short acting insulin, when you've not eaten / exercised. As above it measures the interstitional fluid not blood glucose, so lags. If you calibrate in a stable moment when your blood sugar is flat it will give it a better chance to adapt and get a good fix.

Alternately, if nothing works, then contact Dexcom Customer Support, they might have more ideas, but are very good and will send you a replacement. Keep the broken one and return to them, helps them diagnose issue and improve the product for all.

Thank you so much for all the information. I contacted Dexcom and they sent a new one as there was something wrong with this one, much better today. I will take all your information and next time when I will change it and calibrate it will make sure I am in a stable moment. Thanks a lot for your help

Reactions: oldgreymare